Sick Horse Need Advice!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamic8999

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I could use some help involving my 3 year old stallion who has become ill. He is at a trainers on the east coast and I got a call this morning that he started having diarrhea. Not a big deal I thought. Well that was until I heard over the weekend a few other horses including a foal started with diarrhea. The foal has died so now I am in a panic! Their vet has run several blood tests and fecal tests and is baffled. My horse along with the other symptimatic horses are now on the way to an emergency clinic for observation and more testing. Horses have no fever and are eating well (as of right now). They have had no food changes and are current on vaccines. They have been to shows within the past few weeks. Anyone have a similar situation happen to them or someone they know? When my horse gets to the clinic I will be able to get more info but that is all I know right now. Any suggestions on what to test for? Any help is appreciated!!!

Oh dear, I hope your horse will be ok!!! Just that symptom could be created from just about anything from feed to a virus to a bacteria to some type of poisoning (chemical, plant or whatever...)

I hope they can do some quick tests to find out what it is and he will be ok! Please keep us posted on what you hear!

Thinking of you in your time of need
default_pray.gif
:

Since they have been to a show, anything can be the problem.

Parasite overload?

I think people put way too much stock on fecals. They do not tell the whole story.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're in a sandy area, have them check for sand ingestion. I've had some horses with the same problem and have been treating with "Sand Trap." The colt that was the worst now has fully formed stools, and this after only 4 days of treatment.

Pat

Not to scare you but a few years back we had a two year old show horse get sick two days after a horse show. He developed projectile dirrahea, expelled his rectum, went into toxic shock & died. Went from never being sick to dead in a week................ A young fragile foal would be the first victim - an older horse will (should) have a better chance of getting over i,t especially if you have a good vet. Best of luck to you.

I'm glad the vets are right on top of it. I'll add my prayers that your stallion(and the other horses in the barn) have a speedy recovery. Sad about the foal. :no:

Thank you everyone for your emails! So far my stallion is still having diarrhea but considered stable and in good spirits. All the bloodwork and fecal parasite tests are coming back negative so far. No sand is evident from the ultrasound, etc. Still waiting for the Salmonella tests and a few more to come back. Hopefully whatever this is will run it's course and spare my poor stallion!

Back