Sick 3 month old mini Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaB Ozark

Reaction score
I got up this morning to find my favorite filly acting like she was drunk. I barely got her through the gate and she went down. I could literally roll her from side to side and she did not even try to get up. Ran in to get husband to help me take her to vet and by the time I was back outside the filly was up and eating (no signs of any problems). I monitored her for another hour and assumed that she had hit her head or something. Just when I figured everything was ok - she had another drunk episode. I called thevet and said we were on the way. By the time we got ready to go she was up and running with mom all over the field. We took her to the vet anyway. Her bloodwork shows that she has a high white cell count, high blood sugar and a little low calcium (just a little). Her temp has remaned around 103. The entire time she was at the vets she was fine (of course). We started her on Naxell. She is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. She has had no vacinations except tetnus at birth.

She has had one minor episode since we got her home.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions, thoughts. Our vets are good and they just say wait for 24 hours to see if the naxell is helping.

Thanks, LisaB

I'm sorry to hear about your filly. With the high white count and fever it does sound like she's got an infection somewhere. All I can really do is add my prayers for her full recovery from whatever it is!

West Nile Virus will give a high white blood cell count, low grade fever and neurological symptoms and is quite often seen at this time of year
default_sad.png

Anybody have any experience with west nile in the minis. I do not think we have ever had a west nile case in our county.

Just went out again and had to make her get up. Once she is up she is fine but very lethargic until then.

Thanks, Lisa

I have nothing much to offer but best wishes too...

Don't they have a test to see if it is WNV? Did your vet test for that? I have never seen it, but sounds somewhat like what I have heard. Yes the white count and fever do indicate an infection somewhere. I would certainly keep her in and keep a close eye on her, and I sure hope she recovers ok!

Kay - I think it is like a seizure. Any idea what might cause seizures? Just went out and checked on her - she is a little lethargic but eating grass and wanted lovings. She is old enough that she does not nurse very often but has been drinking water.

Thanks, Lisa

Also - there is a test for west nile but they say it takes 5-7 days to get it back. Anybody know what the treatment for west nile is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about up there but we don't have any mosquitoes out yet to transfer west nile. Had a mare do something similar to this a while back and it was eventually determined that she had an internal abscess that was around her back end, pelvis area. Was able to treat it successfully with anti-biotics. Good luck and best wishes for you and little girl.

We've had WNV in two horses in the past, with many other cases of it in the area that same year. I never heard anyone say that the symptoms were intermittent--when the horse shows symptoms of it, the symptoms stay, they do not come & go. In nearly all cases when neurological symptoms are severe (head pressing, facial twitches, drooping lips, inability to eat or drink, sensitivity to loud noises, lack of awareness of the surroundings) are present, there is also hindquarter involvement--a stiffness to the gait, lack of coordination & balance...often to the point where the horse cannot stand up without assistant. Once down, the horse may not be able to rise. In milder cases you usually get the stiffness & incoordination without the other symptoms. Fever may or may not be present. It's doubtful that your filly would be able to move around normally in between episodes. To answer your question about treatment for WNV, ours were both treated with Pre-def (a corticosteroid which is 10x{?} stronger than prednisone. Our severely affected mare was also treated with banamine.

What you describe does sound like seizures. Fever will cause seizures, but I'm not sure that 103 is a high enough fever to cause them? She is fighting some sort of infection, but there's no telling where that infection might be. Did the vet do any other bloodwork, or just the white blood count? Just wondering about other blood levels, since things such as liver problems can cause neurological symptoms. Hopefully the Naxell with take effect on the infection, whatever it is, & get her feelings better. I'd keep a close eye on her temperature as I wouldn't want it going any higher.

Best of luck on this--I sure hope your little girl is feeling better soon!

Holly

Last edited by a moderator:
Just was out with her again. She is eating grain and nursing. She seems to sleep really hard and when she gets up she is acting drunk. It is almost like a person with an inner ear infection. Once she gets her feet under her (about 30-60 seconds) then she is fine. If I try to get her up she just ignores me - she usually will not get up until the mares moves away where she cant see her. I have had horses big and little for over 35 years and this one stumps me.

The vet ran a whole CBC and the liver was a little off but not very much. They only thing that stood out was the high white and the high glucose and the 103 temp.

She is going back to the vet tomorrow and they are going to run some viral testing but the problem is that everything has to be sent out and takes days to get back.

Thanks for all your great ideas - keep them coming.

Lisa

another thing that can cause intermentant neurological symptoms is a inner ear infection they can remain on and off and then become more on then off.

We were typing at the same time LOL i would check that the first time I saw a horse with it it was a 18.1 hand warmblood and he was falling all over the place.. I have seen a couple more in the past 10 years of those one was a mini

Last edited:
I am hoping that the Naxell(sp) will help with whatever infection she has. I know when I have an inner ear that I can be dizzy off and on. I hope that is it and she starts showing some improivement in the next 18 hours.

Thanks, Lisa

Here lisa

The problem with diagnosing seizures is that a veterinarian usually isn’t examining the horse while it is having a seizure. It is rare that the veterinarian actually sees the seizures, and this usually happens only if the onsets are frequent or perpetual.

The causes of seizures are quite varied. Horses do get epilepsy. Some seizures are a metabolic reaction, characterized by convulsions, which are of a short duration. The horse needs oxygen and glucose to conduct electrical activity in the brain correctly. Neither is stored in the brain. The horse might be hypoglycemic (low blood glucose), resulting in a seizure.

It is not entirely uncommon for foals to have seizures from metabolic imbalances. The foal can become hypoxemic, suffering lack of oxygen to the brain, and respond with a seizure. Kidneys are the filters of the body. There might be a kidney disorder in the horse that prevents the animal from retaining the electrolytes for the brain. Other causes of seizures might be an invasion of infections in the brain (meningitis, for example), bacteria, viruses, or protozoal myelitis. Head trauma might cause excessive hemorrhage to penetrate the brain, thus spurring a seizure.

Masses in the brain, such as tumors, disrupt the normal electrical activity of the brain and can trigger seizures. Abscesses have been known to form in the brain as a result of strangles (Streptococcus equi) and have the same potential effect.

Toxicities and reactions to drugs can cause seizures. For example, a reaction to procaine penicillin, lead poisoning, or other heavy-metal poisonings can trigger seizures. Occasionally you will hear about a horse which, upon receiving an injection, responded with a seizure. This usually is caused by the injectable’s mistakenly entering the carotid artery. Moldy corn and locoweed toxicity also can cause seizures.

The seizure itself can be perpetual, sustained, or intermittent. Seizures are predominantly intermittent, and rarely sustained. A spinal fluid sample or bloodwork will alert the veterinarian as to whether there is inflammation, infection, or electrolyte imbalances.

Radiographs give practitioners the ability to see old skull fractures. The majority of epilepsy cases stems from previous trauma to the brain. MRI scans and CT scans for the head are largely unavailable because of the sheer size of the animal’s head and the costs involved in these procedures; however, foals are small enough to undergo these diagnostic tests.

An electrical encephalogram (EEG) can be used to view the brainwaves or electrical impulses of the brain. While not used to diagnose the cause of a seizure, EEGs readily can confirm activity that causes seizures. The Ohio State University is one of the few places a horse can undergo an EEG exam.

The prognosis of the horse with seizures will vary, depending on the cause of the seizure. A young foal’s prognosis normally is good, as the foal usually will outgrow the symptoms and go on to perform normally. There are many things to consider in the prognosis of an adult horse affected by seizures. You must consider the danger to the people working with the horse; caution should be taken, as a 1,000-pound animal in a seizure can inflict serious harm to his handlers and himself.

Prognosis for horses which have seizures as a result of viral infections, such as herpes, is dependent upon the severity of the infection. Treatment only allows the owner to maintain the horse, not "cure" him.

A horse affected by a bacterial cause of seizures can be treated with antibiotics. The bacteria are detectable in the blood/spinal samples, and the respective medication can clear up the infection, whether it be bacterial meningitis or something of a protozoal nature. Fungi within the brain are rare. Prognosis is normally poor, as it is very difficult for anti-fungal drugs to reach adequate levels in the deep crevices where the fungi reside in the brain. Anticonvulsant medications might manage seizures in some horses.

Surgery, whether to drain the abscess or remove a mass in the brain, is very uncommon. Although skull trauma might fracture and dislodge a piece of bone in an area where a surgeon can remove the chip, fractured parts usually are not accessible for the surgeon to reach.

Once again, diagnosis and prognosis of the horse with seizures are highly dependent on the background of the horse. Delve deep into the horse’s history--daily habits, previous injuries, and living situations—and make sure an experienced veterinarian knows these facts. It remains unnerving to witness a seizure in a horse, but there is hope in understanding, managing, and solving the problem.

Great info kaykay- I sure hope she will be ok and they can find out what it is!!

Lisa,

Just a longshot, but could she have a tick down in her ear? Whatever it is, sending prayers for recovery.

Pam

I am hoping that the Naxell(sp) will help with whatever infection she has. I know when I have an inner ear that I can be dizzy off and on. I hope that is it and she starts showing some improivement in the next 18 hours.

Thanks, Lisa
Lisa,

Call me if you want.

Bonnie

Lisa, this is a perfect example of the "grass staggers"

It's the right time of year and in many cases, once the horse is off the grass it stops, then back on the grass and it starts up again. This does depend soley on the amount of grass she is ingesting however. Check your turn out area for her. Maybe there is something toxic growing that she has gotten herself into. The course of action for the grass staggers is activated charcoal.

I'm probably way off here but just throwing that out for you as another idea for your vet to mull over.

Kay - Thanks for all of the great info - it si a lot to absorb. Sounds like seizures can come in all shapes and sizes. How do you know.

Marty - I pulled her off the grass this afternoon to monitor her food intake. Great idea.

I just got back in. She got really dizzy when she nursed, walked around like she was drunk for a few minutes. Long enough for me to give her a small shot of banamine. She seems a little more alert but is still sleeping a lot. She does now have light yellow not coming out - yes all over me. Just on one side. Do horses get sinus infections? Her temp is still around 103 but she seems cooler now the sun has gone done.

THanks again for all the info. I have printed it all off and will give it to the vets - they are very receptive - thank goodness.

I never let the babies get really close since I know they are for sale but this one was an exception - I had decided to keep her regsrdless. Have you ever had a baby that would nicker anytime she saw you and run to you regardless of what she was doing. We are soal mates. Please keep the prayers coming - I know they work.

Thanks Again, Lisa

Lisa,

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions, I have no advice but I will say prayers for your precious little filly.

It is so hard when they are sick.

Hugs to you, keep us posted on her progress. I so hope she will start to feel lots better.

Latest posts

Back