Shredded coconut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen M White

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of feeding this? Benefits? I thought maybe just a little in their grain at bedtime?

Just wondering! Thanks!
default_smile.png

Never heard of this for horses. Coconut milk is suppose to be great for humans. It will be interesting to see if anyone is familiar with this.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Ive heard of people feeding coconut macaroon cookies for horses with diarhhea to help bind them up a bit. I dont think its something I would feed on a daily basis

Last edited by a moderator:
Although domesticated horses are far removed from their original state, my philosophy is that we should endeavor to try to do what is best and natural for them ( as much exercise as possible, keep them in a herd environment, provide most of their daily ration as forage, etc.)

So... Is coconut the closest thing to nature for them? That is the common sense answer I'd ask myself first. If yes, then I'd look into it further.

But I don't think that's the best fat source for them... Even if they do market that coco soya product. If anything, I'd try that first....

We give shredded coconut when a horse has diarhea. It works really well. Our stallion seemed prone to having the runs for a bit and he got that he wouldn't eat his grain if it wasn't topped with coconut, even after he cleared up-we had to wean him off of it!!
default_wacko.png

I know of no adverse effects from coconut and I have had clients use it before in cases of diarrhea, although I have never recommended it.

Dr Taylor

Latest posts

Back