Showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
How can you show Shetlands at Mini shows?Do they have to be under 38" and then you pay to have them registered with AMHR?What are the differences between different types,such as Modern,and Classic?Isnt Congress in Ohio?Are there Obstacle,and Hunter/Jumper classes?

Shetlands can be hardshipped in the AMHR division if they are under 38''. Shetlands are measured different then miniatures. Miniatures are measured at the last hairs of the mane, shetlands are measured at the withers like big horses. For example, Royal measures 38'' as a shetland and 36.75'' (with a 1.5'' heel which they measure) as a mini so he would make height to be hardshipped into AMHR. Some even make the 34'' mark and can make it into AMHA (Getitia has one and Lyns Michigans Sweet Tart was at this height as well, just a few i know of). Since Miniatures are strictly a height breed, most (notice i said most, i dont believe either will allow dwarfs) 38'' and under or 34'' and under can be put into the registry.

If the sire/dam of the horse is AMHR/ASPC double registered then you do not have to hardship into AMHR bc the foal is already AMHR elg (you cannot hardship into ASPC). If you breed a ASPC (only) registered stallion to a ASPC (only) registered mare and that foal when 3 makes the 38'' or 34'' height at the last hairs of the mane then they can be hardshipped into AMHR or AMHA, or both.

Modern Shetlands (B divison): These shetlands have hackney blood in them, very high stepping animated action. Show in braids and normally grow the heel out and use shoes. For the moderns who have less knee/hock action they have another division where the moderns show which is the Modern Pleasure division. Like i said, Modern Pleasures have the same look as the moderns generally just not near as much action and animation.

Classic (A division): These are your typical shetlands, IMO they look like small saddlebreds ...atleast mine do. These are your pure shetlands with no hackney blood in them. Their heels are not aloud to be longer then 1.75'' (or somewhere around that) and they show more like the miniatures. For classics that have a pedigree going back so many generations with no horse over 42'' at the withers can get their foundation seal. Foundations are generally more heavier boned but still have the classic look.

Congress WAS held at the Ohio State Fair untill years ago, its now held in Illinous (was in MO in 06', i think they are moving back to IL though). Now in Ohio they have the Ohio World Show for AMHR/ASPC/HACKNEYS/SADDLEBREDS/SHOW PONIES ext. Its not as big as Congress but still held high. Basically its the Ohio State Fair, just held at a different time from the actual fair (just before it i think). Its a huge show, but not congress. Their is allot of history their.

They have Jumper/Hunter classes in hand. The shows we do dont offer Jumper/Hunter classes for ASPC but at congress they do offer them. Around here i dont think you will find to many ASPC Jumper/Hunter classes. They did have ASPC Obsticle classes as well as Liberty, Halter, Driving ext. At most AMHR shows they have ASPC, ASPR as well.

Sorry so long, i love the shetlands. Hope i didnt get anything incorrect
default_smile.png

Edited: Spelling grr

Last edited by a moderator:
good explanation leanna! also keep in mind there are shows that have shetland and miniature classes at one show.

and you can ONLY hardship an amha horse or a horse with ASPC papers that measures 38 or under. i just did a mare and it was 260.00 i believe its more for stallions but you can look at the aspc site and see at www.shetlandminiature.com

One more thing i wanted to throw in,

With these AMHR/ASPC double registered horses, if you go to a show that offers both AMHR and ASPC classes and you have a AMHR/ASPC horse, that horse cannot show as a miniature and as a shetland, you have to choose which your showing. Most people choose to show them as miniatures.

Example: You cannot take your horse into an AMHR class and then 10 minutes walk that horse in and show it as a Foundation or Classic at that same show.

Most likely if your putting money into that horse to get them in the AMHR division in the first place your most likely planning to show he/she through AMHR anyway but just wanted to throw that in.

I downloaded the Rulebook (which you can find at the shetlandminiature.com website) and looked over that and read threw everything that applies to me and my horses. Its really interesting actually
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back