showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanessa101

Reaction score
i have a miniature that is aboustly really good in halter (like to walk,trot beside you and she is really good a backing up) and she is grade and i am wondering if she can perform in shows? And does it matter if shes grade?

Neither of my boys are reg yet (will be in the spring) but ive shown my gelding in halter classes arround the area just open shows but its still fun....

A grade horse can enter in "open" and 4-H shows, but not shows sanctioned by a national registry, like AMHA or AMHR.

If she's pinto, she can be registered as Pinto and show in their circuit.

i have a miniature that is aboustly really good in halter (like to walk,trot beside you and she is really good a backing up) and she is grade and i am wondering if she can perform in shows? And does it matter if shes grade?

Halter is much more than those skills. Your horse also needs good confirmation, body type etc. The horse should stand square, set up, and be able to arch and stretch the neck.

Sounds like you might want to focus on learning showmanship with your horse. You can have lots of fun in open shows if there are any in your area. From there you can take this to in-hand obstacle and jumping. Just go have fun with your horse. It will lead you on an incredible journey.

we had a few grade classes at the Ar state fair show( this was an AMHR show but wanted a few grade classes just in case) because we thought some people might want to show an unregistered horse at the state fair...not sure if anyone actually did but it was an option.

You also might consider having your mini trained to drive. There are many driving events ( other than the breed ring ) that do not require that a horse be registered to compete. Look into carriage driving events in your area.

We have an unregistered mare that my Granddaughter showed 4-H. She was yr. end Champion in conformation pony, and trail in hand. Reserve in showmanship. She was also used as a demo horse for science shool and farm safty day. So yes you can show unregistered minis just not at rated shows like AMHA/AMHR, but if she qualifies you could hardship her into AMHA then transfer to AMHR.

Back