Showing O So!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I was at the stables yesterday and my friend (she is the barn manager) was talking about how they are going to be doing a Fuzzy Furry show in March and that O So would be perfect for the show. I told her that O So has never been worked with like that. He doesn't know how to stand and can be kind of awnry. She asked to lead him so I let her. She actually got him pretty squared up and standing. She was so thrilled and told me that with a little work we could have him ready by March. I told he may be ready but I may not. LOL I tend to be a little shy when it comes to being in front of a big group of people. Then she suggested having one of the kids (4H or SHA member) show him. I thought that would be a great idea!

We started talking about letting the caretakers daughter do it, but then they realized how O So has not been around other minis in a little while and it would be his first time in a show environment. So that may not work to well. They are still pretty sure they can find someone to show him. If not, I may try to get the nerve up to do it. I think it would be more enjoyable for me to watch though!
biggrin.gif

So now I need to start working on getting him to square up and stand nicely! That will be fun. LOL He can be a punk at times. I am going to buy me one of those treat pouches that you can wear around your waste. I'm hoping giving him a treat when he does good will work. I loves treats so I know he will look forward to getting one, but I hope it doesn't distract him into wanting to try to get the treat instead of working for it. We will find out soon though. LOL

What's nice about this show is I don't have to clip him. LOL Only bad thing is, he is shedding like crazy so he may not be that fuzzy by the time March gets here.
wacko.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh, and kind of off topic. I was out walking O So around the grounds yesterday and I went over to the area that they big horse jump. They have one jump set up, but the cross poles are laying on the ground. There were to poles. One was probably a 4x4 round pole and the other laying right next to the big one, was probably 2x3. I have walked O So over poles there before and he just steps over them. Sometimes clearing them, and sometimes hitting them with his feet. Well, yesterday he JUMPED over them!!! I was so excited that I immediately turned him around and tried again. He jumped them again, and again. Even jumped them going the opposite direction!! I am now really excited about getting my "mini" arena done so I can set up some small jumps for him!!

Just thought I'd share!
biggrin.gif

He doesn't know how to stand and can be kind of awnry. So now I need to start working on getting him to square up and stand nicely! That will be fun. LOL He can be a punk at times.
Maybe I'm getting my facts mixed up, but weren't you planning on driving him someday? If so, this type of work is EXACTLY what he needs before he gets worked for driving. If he doesn't know how to stand still and is ornery, you definitely want to get him to a show like this. Good Luck!
default_saludando.gif

I realize that not everyone can get themselves into the "show" mode but this is a fuzzy show so it will be very relaxed. You should just tighten up your courage and go for it. That's my opinion; that and about a buck fifty might get you a cup of coffee.
default_laugh.png

I say go for it too. This sounds like just the right kind of show to see how well you and O So will enjoy showing. As I recall he is quite young though? So I would hold off on any jumping until he is 3 or older. But there are still plenty of things you can do with him and other classes besides halter to try. You could train him now for halter obstacle and use those poles to teach him to walk or trot over them and NOT jump. Even at the highest levels I see minis making that mistake - of JUMPING when they are supposed to walk or trot over the poles. And of course, he needs to get over them without hitting them, and preferably watching where he is going (i.e. with his head down and paying attention).

Good luck and keep us posted.

I also think that you should be in the ring with Oso. you will be doing the work with him, he will be used to your way of doing things, your tone of voice when you give him 'commands', he is young yet so maybe best not to let him get confused by giving him to someone else for his time in the ring? Also I suspect that he will expect you to be there for him in case he feels a little 'worried' (as his Mum, he expects YOU to take care of him just as you do everyday!) Take heart from the fact that any spectators will be looking at the gorgeous fluffy 'ponies' and not at the folks handling them.
default_biggrin.png

Go for it!!

Anna

Yah, O So is young still. He will be 3 in May of this year. I'm not trying to jump him over high jumps right now. Just getting excited about being able to one day! Speaking of walking over boards, how far apart do you guy's set them? I need to know that so I can build him a obstacle course one day.

As far as showing him myself. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to be a serious as I see some of these people at shows be. I want to have fun and not worry about how a contwart my body and all! Like you said though, with it being a Furry Fuzzy show, maybe I can just have fun with it!

I did go out today and worked with O So on squaring up and standing. He did pretty good but I think I am not getting his front and back legs far enough apart from each other. When I look at him one I am done getting them side by side, he looks kind of scrunched, not stretched. I did find that having the fallen leaves still in the yard made a good thing to pick up and crackle, it got his head and neck stretched a bit. Only thing is, he would step forward too. We both need a lot of practice. LOL I am having fun though.
biggrin.gif

Back