Showing 2 Year Old Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't put anything in their nose as I want him to smell my bait in the ring. But I do put a product called mineral ice around the folds of his retracted penis, not on the head area. When he starts to drop, he will instantly feel an ice cold sensation and it goes right back up! Worked for me 100% of the time.

Of course you still need to correct the rearing and stricking. I personally do a LOT of backing with a horse that is doing just about anything wrong. And I never use "no" as I also need them to respond to "whoa" so I use "quit" instead.

Good luck with your boy.

I have no idea if this applies to you, but...

Many people are embarrassed to discipline firmly in public, and the horse picks up on this very quickly and takes advantage. This is one reason they act up at an event but are perfect at home -- they're behaving just like some kids in the grocery store.

Whatever method of discipline is right for you and your stallion, I would take him to an unrated show -- or any show where you don't mind getting the gate -- and make it clear that you won't tolerate bad behavior, even in public.

Stand separate from the other entries if necessary so as not to disrupt others, especially with the rearing, but show him he can't get away with screaming in the candy aisle!

Latest posts

Back