Showing 2 Year Old Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
I know lots of you show your stallions and young colts how do you make them behave.

I really need some ideas on how to keep my colt retracted.

At home he is fine but I took him out on Sat to a club show and he had it hanging out all the time and doing the snorting, shaking head and rearing up.

I took him to a friends last night and he was even worse and we tried the shhhhhh and tapping him on his side and underneath tapping him and all he did was get worse and reared up and tried striking with his front hooves.

I dont have any ideas to stop this.

He is a gentle horse at home and not pushy or anything. Doesnt bite or kick.

I wonder what I have done wrong ever since I have had him I have taken out tried to condition him to everything I took him to fairs and club shows last year as a yearling.

We took our 2 year old stud to a show a few weeks ago and we put Viks Vapor rub in his nose so it keeps the strong scent of the mares down. It worked for us, just keep putting it on throughout the show. Hope it helps! Good Luck!
default_smile.png

Thanks for the Vicks idea.

I am not gelding him yet to we see how he grows out.

We took our 2 year old stud to a show a few weeks ago and we put Viks Vapor rub in his nose so it keeps the strong scent of the mares down. It worked for us, just keep putting it on throughout the show. Hope it helps! Good Luck!
default_smile.png
Yep
default_yes.gif

although, gelding him may completely erase the problem
default_wink.png

Haha Sure would
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

There are lots of "tricks" to getting them to behave. Vics is always a good start but I do know some stallions that throw a fit trying to get it out of their nose. My young stallion is usually really good, I have only ever had him drop out once but I just made him back up and told him to "put it away", I will sometimes tap them under the belly when I say it too, to hopefully help them understand what I want. It seems to work as They dont drop out at shows anymore. This is just what I do, but may not work for all stallions. I know some people stick their finger in the corner of their mouth but not sure if they do any more with that. Hope this helps.

I learned a real neat trick for that at a clinic. Stick your finger in his mouth (at the side of course) and scratch his tongue. ZIP! It magically goes back in. They use this trick on big horses too. Of course sometimes you have to repeat it several times, depending how long you're in the show ring. ETA: When I say "scratch", I don't mean hard....more like you'd sratch an itch. Maybe "rub" is a better term. Anyway, it works!
default_yes.gif

I learned a real neat trick for that at a clinic. Stick your finger in his mouth (at the side of course) and scratch his tongue. ZIP! It magically goes back in. They use this trick on big horses too. Of course sometimes you have to repeat it several times, depending how long you're in the show ring. ETA: When I say "scratch", I don't mean hard....more like you'd sratch an itch. Maybe "rub" is a better term. Anyway, it works!
default_yes.gif
Wow! I learn something new every day!
default_aktion033.gif

default_yes.gif

I've been told to do this on their gums too.
default_yes.gif

I find that stallions seem to respond well to being yelled at. My theory is that it's because the boss mare would squeal at him right before she booted him in the ribs for acting like a jerk. Holler at him "NO!" - and I mean really holler - and make yourself big and get in his space, make him back away from you. Then when he approaches you politely, with his attention on you and all four feet on the ground where they belong, scratch him and fuss over him and tell him what an angel he is.

You probably haven't done anything wrong ... he's just realized he's a stallion and thinks that he's more important than you are. As soon as you correct his 'world view' you'll both be much happier! Stallions don't like being the one that makes the decisions, it stresses them out and that's when they get dangerous, thinking they have to fight their way out of every situation. He WANTS you to be in charge, he just doesn't know it yet. ;-)

There are lots of "tricks" to getting them to behave. Vics is always a good start but I do know some stallions that throw a fit trying to get it out of their nose. My young stallion is usually really good, I have only ever had him drop out once but I just made him back up and told him to "put it away", I will sometimes tap them under the belly when I say it too, to hopefully help them understand what I want. It seems to work as They dont drop out at shows anymore. This is just what I do, but may not work for all stallions. I know some people stick their finger in the corner of their mouth but not sure if they do any more with that. Hope this helps.

Yup, Exactly! With big horses, we will shank them(jerk stud chain) and tell them to "get it up". We have also smacked them in the belly near the penis and said the same thing, always in a stern firm voice. We never have issues then. We have also used Vics if it was needed, but really have not had the need to that often because we get the stallion to respect us and to focus on us at all times. If they are extremely study and will not pay attention no matter what you do, we geld them in a heart beat. I think your colt is just young and testing the waters. I would really get after him and make him pay attention to you. Practice by taking him places, like your friends. It is not time to be nice if he is rearing, striking, or obnoxious.

I wouldn't enter him in another show until this behaviour is corrected, it is too dangerous! Keep taking him to your friends and when he misbehaves correct him. If that doesn't work send him to a professional trainer, or have him gelded. It is of course your choice, but it is extremely dangerous for a stallion to rear up and strike out. I think he is dominating you, and if you can't correct it, geld him!

Thanks everyone for some great ideas I am sure going to try them and see what works.

Someone suggested Essential Oil of Lavenender Oil and to put 3 drops on your hand and rub them around his nose about half hour before I take him in the ring .

Has anyone every used that they say it wont hurt them as they have used it on their big stallions. It calms them down.

As Sandy said you need to get after him. Remember boss mares would take both heels to him to teach him some manners if necessary, so smacking with your hand isn't going to hurt him.

If you use Vicks or lavender, etc, you won't get any response from treats because he won't be able to smell them.

As suggested, work with him at home, and at your friends, which is a great way to teach him the ropes before going to a show. You just cannot let him get away with this, it will only get worse if not corrected now.

Good luck!

I have a product called Calming Oil that is essentially lavendar oil, and yes it works some to calm horses. I've used it for clipping and hauling a stressed horse, haven't used it on a stallion but it might help. I haven't found it to be a wonder cure for anything LOL, but it helps. If I'm going to use something in a stalion's nose, I like Acclimate - similar effect to Vicks, but it's made for horses and doesn't seem to burn like Vicks. Smells like cloves, I like it.
default_smile.png

Jan

"Boss mares" do not get after a colt for dropping. They might get after a colt for trying to mount when they are not in season. Anyway, you are not a mare and I would like to keep the differences clear in a colts mind.

He drops at a show? Of course he does, that was his first show. His mind was just a little blown, that is all.

So, you shout and haul on the chain and whack him on the penis- what are you going to do when you want him to breed in hand because there is NO way he is going to let you "handle" him or help him in!!

Either go with the tongue/gum rubbing thing or just make him back up.

Two or three steps.

Then praise him.

He will drop again, just say "Uh Uh" then back him up til it goes away and then praise him.

Golly, if this sort of behaviour suggested were meted out to teenage boys we would never have any more children born.

Ever.

Actually.....
default_smile.png
...maybe not such a bad idea!

There is NO quick answer to this as you are arguing with hormones, not "bad behaviour" per se- the first inkling he had that his behaviour was "bad" was when you started getting upset (I am presuming that you did?)

He was acting normally, as far as he was concerned.

Now you have to go back to the drawing board and tell him calmly but firmly that this is not the behaviour that you require from him, at a show.

As with everything else, just train him.

You would not expect him to walk on a trailer, or pull a cart, without training, and you cannot expect him to remain withdrawn, without training.

You would not train him to go on a trailer by shouting and chanking a chain, or whacking him, nor would you attempt to train him to pull a cart with these methods.....

The "elevator" button on their gums is something I have used for many many years - it will not be in the same place for all stallions - sometimes on the upper gums, sometimes the lower. If they dropped - they would have to back up a couple of steps and I'd work the elevator button. The smart ones eventually took the backing as a cue to suck it up. But none of that will stop the rearing and acting up - if he rears or strikes out he needs to back up immediately and you need to get a bit loud...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Boss mares" do not get after a colt for dropping. They might get after a colt for trying to mount when they are not in season. Anyway, you are not a mare and I would like to keep the differences clear in a colts mind.

He drops at a show? Of course he does, that was his first show. His mind was just a little blown, that is all.

So, you shout and haul on the chain and whack him on the penis- what are you going to do when you want him to breed in hand because there is NO way he is going to let you "handle" him or help him in!!

Either go with the tongue/gum rubbing thing or just make him back up.

Two or three steps.

Then praise him.

He will drop again, just say "Uh Uh" then back him up til it goes away and then praise him.

Golly, if this sort of behaviour suggested were meted out to teenage boys we would never have any more children born.

Ever.

Actually.....
default_smile.png
...maybe not such a bad idea!
Rearing and striking are dangerous behaviours that DO need a serious response from the handler. If he was simply dropping, that's different.

Also, stallions ARE smart enough to know that breeding behaviour is allowed at some times and not at others, and it is never acceptable at a show.

I have a mini stud- which luckily isnt at all studish.........yet... dont they tend to like to realize they are studs at their first shows?! haha, so it seems.

anyways, I handle large, full grown stallions, and have had some that become anxious and do similar things to what you are talking about.

firstly.. Vics does work... so try this....

Secondly, he is a stallion, stallions can act like this, sometimes they mature out of it, when handled properly, and other times they do not... you just have to figure out what works best for them, I typically always keep myself removed from other horses with them- even with my good ones. also, I realize he is small, due to his breed, but rearing is a major issue, and can be dangerous- if he was a full grown, 1200 pound animal he could kill people with behavior like that. yet people seem to forgive minis. I personally, do not. my stud went through a stage where he wanted to rear at me, and that lead to me bumping him in his shoulder with my knee to throw him off balance. when he'd try it again, id pop him over the top of his head, and after 2 times of that, it ended quite quickly... I wasnt beating him down, I was simply "meeting" him with my hand. if anything I felt it shocked him, and then he instantly felt insulted, as if I was making fun of his height! lol... but now, he handles fine, and I do not encounter this issue.

just remember they are horses, not dogs... :-B

Latest posts

Back