Show Secrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I remember a while back we all posted tips and secrets that we use when showing, and thought since it's that time of year, we could do it again. Maybe we have found some other things since then that work well for us.

I really like human Hair Cholesterol for conditioning manes and tails. I wash them, then slather it on and let it sit while I was the body. You can pick up a decent sized jar at walmart for $1.97. You can also get a HUGE tub at sallys beauty supply for about $7.

I use dandruff shampoo at the base of the mane and tail to get rid of dry skin.

I use dish scrubbies to clean hoofs when Im bathing.

A foam sanding block is much easier to use than sandpaper to sand hoofs with.

Wide sharpie at the top of the hoof when blacking hoofs to prevent accidents.

If your cleaning your blades after you are completely done clipping you can clean them with alcohol and a tooth brush. You cant do this as a dip while they are running, but I always clean them all before I store them again, and it's much cheaper than blade wash. I'm also going to try WD 40 for blade oil when I run out of what I have.

Pink brand afro sheen works like pepi for a fraction of the price.

Since this is my first year showing, I don't have any tips yet but thanks for sharing yours!
default_smile.png
This will be a very interesting thread.

I did notice something new this year. They are called Wysi Wipes. They look real handy and there are no harmful additives. Wysi Wipe I don't work for them, but we do sell them at the tack store I work at. Not expensive and I think they would be great for wiping something quick like horse slobber, mud on tack or a boot...

Thanks again for posting the ideas.

Those would probably work well. I've always just used baby wipes, but im open to trying new things.

Black garbage bags to line neck sweats.

Kitchen place mats (the plastic/foam kind) to put under feet when applying hoof block and waiting for it to dry, to avoid dust sticking

This year i'm trying baby oil gel as a tail detangler. I'll let you know how that goes. I usually use cowboy magic, but in this economy, if it works im all for saving money.

Some people use a black marker above the eye then smudge it to make the eye stand out. I've had trainers do it before, but Im still worried about irritation. I might start out trying the halloween makeup sticks in black then smudge. Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to the sharpie above the eye?

I use an electric tea kettle to warm water at shows so I have warm water to razor with. Not all shows have hot water, and this is a cheap way to make warm water. I picked up my electric kettle for $2 at goodwill. Nice price since its only for horses, and I didnt want to spend a lot.

Black electrical tape instead of the bulky "chain keepers" on show halter chains. Much cheaper, and not as bulky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black electrical tape instead of the bulky "chain keepers" on show halter chains. Much cheaper, and not as bulky.
Brilliant idea! I needed to buy a couple of chain keepers but couldn't justify the price. I'm going to try this one!
default_smile.png

I also use baby wipes for cleaning up faces.

I use those netting round bath/showers sponges to bath the horses with. Works a treat and gets right in deep and massages the horses too.

I actually use human fly repellant instead of those expensive horse ones. My horses don't have a reaction to them at all and it keeps away the bugs 100% better than the horse ones.

I use my hair straightener to get their manes and tales looking nice and straight with no frizzy ends.

I use the Sharpie pen on hooves, but I would never use any pen near a horse's eye. Instead, try pencil-style and crayon-style eyeliner. These are tested to be safe around eyes (although I still stick with the well-known brnads to be safe). Get the nice soft kind and warm it in your hands before using. Black and dark brown work great.

I know a lot of people use electric sanders on hooves, but has anyone tried a car buffer? It would take off less hoof, than a sander but would buff them out nicely. I keep planning on "borrowing" the one I gave my brother for Christmas awhile back...

I adore "Pink." However, keep in mind that the shine will highlight flaws as well as attributes. You can also use a bit of baby powder or talc to lessen shine on specific spots, thereby bringing less attention to a sloped croup or too steep of shoulder.

"Shine" is an ethnic hair product that puts a brilliant shine on black manes and tails.

I love inexpensive beard trimmers for last minute fine-tuning on ears and such. (Funny that Keith hides his beard trimmer during show season...funny that I would have noticed it missing...)

I always hunt for bargains, but I find nothing equals Cowboy Magic Detangler. You use so little that it's the best bargain around.

Make sure your show clothes have at least one pocket for bait and for a baby wipe to clean hooves AND your hands to remove any slippery product. Been there!

Just a tip to be sure that your horse is used to a bumper guard instead of a chain BEFORE you show. Some horses dont care and others need to adjust to the different feel.

More tips

White chalk for white spots and white legs and tails. touches up spots really good between classes

For really bad yellow tails I use tide with bleach but be sure and condition afterwords as it is drying

for liberty buy those nylon halters with a clip. Much faster to put on the horse and you dont have to buckle or unbuckle it

For thin tails sprinkle in corn starch to make them appear thicker

Use just for men hair color to color manes and tails. Works in just 5 mins unlike womens color that takes 20-30 mins. but buy 2 boxes!

Always have some vicks on hand if you are showing a stallion
default_smile.png

use the conditioner from womens hair color boxes to condition manes and tails

I need to go look through my box of stuff to see exactly what I use, but I just wanted to say that I have used baby oil gel in the past and it attracts dust like a magnet. I HATE it.

Most of my stuff is from the ethnic section in walmart or Sally's beauty supply.

Back