Show questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
How high does your mini need to jump to be competitive?Seems there are lots of showing questions so if anyone has more, they can add those on here too.
saludando.gif

There is not a set height (I show AMHR..dont know about AMHA)...but your horse has to be able jump...be prepared for anything basically. For hunter, the jumps are pretty low because they are judging on the form of how the horse jumps, not necessarily the faults. For Jumper, they judge you on faults. They are usually a bit higher...and most horses can jump over them

-Kris

Thanks.So it shouldn't be difficult for an average horse to jump.Do they raise the jump throughout the judging to see who jumps highest with a clear round?

I could be wrong on this so dont quote me but I beleive for AMHR the highest they go is 24".

for AMHR, the fences for hunter and the first round of jumper are 12" to 24". Jump-offs in jumper are timed and the fences can be raised up to 30".

AMHA the jump-offs are NOT timed--they just keep raising the jumps. I don't know how high they end up--I've heard heights of 41" though.

This is the Hunter course from this year's AMHR Nationals

Nationals2005077.jpg

Iowa State Fair

IowaStateFairTikiJumpimg.jpg

I must admit this years hunter corses at nationals dont impress me. I loved the ones they had in 98' also very difficult.

The higest a mini is ever asked to jump is 30", and this is generally in a jump-off round.

In the AMHA there are jump offs that are raised up to 44 inches. AMHA does not time the jumper class. Hunter is the same in both AMHA and AMHR, the jumps can only go to 24 inches. I have heard from some that to win a top ten at AMHA Worlds ( in 04) your horse needed to jump 40 inches, but in AMHR you just need to be able to go fast.
wink.gif

Just have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the same in Australia. Your horse needs to jump AT LEAST 40" in fault n out and 6-bar.

This is my gelding winnng the Australian National Fault N out competition. These photos dont show the highest height jumped. Pics by Tracey Bavinton.

pinto_nats05_jumping1L.jpg

pinto_nats05_jumping2L.jpg

pinto_nats05_jumping3L.jpg

This is my 32" mare jumping 40" but it wasnt enough to win Open class at Nationals. The winner jumped 42 or 44". Not sure exactly.

dolly_3_lrg.jpg

Sam - Australia

http://www.jemsonpark.com

Mini_Bre said:
In the AMHA there are jump offs that are raised up to 44 inches. AMHA does not time the jumper class. Hunter is the same in both AMHA and AMHR, the jumps can only go to 24 inches. I have heard from some that to win a top ten at AMHA Worlds ( in 04) your horse needed to jump 40 inches, but in AMHR you just need to be able to go fast. 
wink.gif

Just have fun!

473594[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Pam said:
Jemson Park--WOW!!! 
new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif

473609[/snapback]

lol - thanks! Thats how we do it downunder
smile.gif

The little black mare in the last photo had never attempted that height before the 2004 Nationals. She ended up winning 10 National titles that year in halter and performance and had only done trail, hunter and jumper twice before that and had never done fault n out or 6-bar. I was so proud of her. Shes a Brewers Orion Captivation daughter - boy those Orions can jump!

See y'all at the World Champs - Im leaving in a few days to make the big journey over from Australia.

Sam - Australia

http://www.jemsonpark.com

Back