show picts from today and question about black

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
I had my second show of the year today. It was an AMHA show, instead of just a local one. This was my first one of these to attend. (I think I like the local ones better, they are funner and more relaxed). We really didn't do well at all. I was pleased with how my yearling behaved, this was his second show ever. Anyway, pretty much at the back of the pack all day, but had fun anyway.

The chain on my show halter make my cremellos chin all black. I've tried 2 different kinds so far. Any suggestions on keeping that from happening? I added a few pictures of my boys. The cremello is my 4 year old stallion and the smokey black is my yearling colt. (The stallions first foal). Just thought I'd share. Mine were alot heavier than the others in the ring. We have a lot of work to do. (Conditioning) Thanks for help with the black chin. Lori

Double B Farm Yankee Doodle Dandy

yankeeshowweb.jpg

MTF Yankees Midnight Premiere

bustershowweb.jpg

buster2showweb.jpg

Your horses look very nice!

For the chain, the ones I like the best (by a long shot) are ones I got from Star Lake Tack. They also have great, and inexpensive, leather buckle leads which I prefer to the kind with snaps at the end.

maybe going with a gold chain would leave less of a mark? Or like Jill said even a leather one? I do also prefer the buckle type of lead over the clip I have accidently unclipped a horse in the middle of the ring
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Lori, I have see far more yearlings that are too thin than too fat and , I actually think the body on your yearling is good, he has a short thick neck thats all. Dont diet him befpre showing him again.... just add a neck sweat that he wears 24/7 to make his throatlatch and neck look longer and cleaner. IF he were thinner he wouldnt have as nice a rear and croup and chest.

I use the nylon dog choke collar as a chain under the chin. Nothing rubs off and it still gets attention.

Lyn

I use the nylon dog choke collar as a chain under the chin. Nothing rubs off and it still gets attention.
WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA!! :aktion033:

I would also talk to the Farrier about getting those hoof angles more in sync with the pastern angles. As they are, (to me) the hooves look very "boxy", with too much heel.

:aktion033: nice looking fellows.Good luck. I don't have a answer about the chain sorry.

Hi, all I can think of is to try a gold chain maybe.

Your horses look very nice....I'll take their weights anyday over the skinny horses with ribs showing in the ring that I've seen at some shows. You did good.....give your self a pat on the back for a good feed program.
default_yes.gif
:

Lori,

Is the chain you are using now "gold" (BRASS).....it's hard to tell in the pictures, but your chain doesn't look "black" in there, to me it looks brass. And when I showed a very very light palomino a few years ago I had the same problem with my brass chains.

Something that helps but won't totally eliminate the problem is keep some of those jewlrey cleaning wipes in your halter bags to go over the chains before each show (gets all that nasty black stuff that brass does) I get mine at WalMart and they are in a little red case has like 25 wipes or so in it.....they also make the liquid you can "dip" the chain in, wipes are easier for me to pack so I use them.

I have yet to find a chin chain that stays gold (due to them being brass they tarnish quite quickly........probably the oil and spray and stuff don't make it last longer either)

While they are relatively cheap ($5) it may be your best bet to just keep extras in your halter bag, when one starts looking remotely tarnished, stick a new one on him (cremello)

Latest posts

Back