Show Parents...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
My Jessica was in a driving class back in May. The problem was there was a girl in the same class that just as soon as she could As the Gate Closed) made a pass around Jessie and sat in front of her. She tried to break out around this girl. But, she would just speed up. Jessie not wanting her horse hurt settled back behind this girl that would again slow her horse. I have not had the opertunity to talk to the parents about this as they left right after the class and so did wesince we had someone coming to pick up our trailer (bad me sold the truck) Anyway, What would you say if anything to the parents of this girl that is putting other horses in danger because of the way she drives? It was a country pleasure class and NOT a horse race.

I don't know if saying anything to the parents would work. Sounds to me like she was deliberately trying to ruin your class.

Next time if she gets a chance just circle on the far end.

Lucy

I don't think I'd say anything to the parents at this point. If the opportunity presented itself I'd probably talk to the girl herself about how her tactics endangered the other horses/drivers in the ring but I don't expect it would do any good. Instead i would talk to a couple of pros on how to extricate herself from the situation. I'm thinking that crossing the ring to the other side would do it. She couldn't very well follow without it being obvious she was trying to block a particular horse. Someone with more experience than I would be able to tell you what is acceptable in a driving class. Tell your daughter to take it as a compliment, the other driver was obviously convinced hers was not as good a horse on its own merits and didn't want the judges to see the competition at its best.

It is not your place to say anything at all IMO>

Your child could have just as easily cut the ring and made sure she was out of the way of the other child. Unless there was 8-10+ horses in the ring it would have been just as easy for the other child to remain out of the way of the first one.

To assume that a child was trying to ruin another childs go in what I am guessing was a pretty small class (seeing as you are not mentioning other drivers having a issue) is a bit dramatic and over the top.

It is possible the child was a green driver, or it is possible the child in front felt your child was coming up to close and to fast so she sped up. You can guess all you want what was going on in someone elses mind however my first thought in a class with some kids at a local show surely would not be sabatoge.

Like I said when I started your child has just as much responsibility and could have easily cut the ring and been far enough away to not have any issues. As a parent if you approched me assuming my kid was so concerned about the competition your child was bringing to suggest they were sabatoging you... well not so sure you would like the response you got from me

I have to agree with Lisa. Your daughter should have cut across the ring to the other side if it was interfering that much.

I also have to agree. This kid probably had no idea what she was doing. As far as I am concerned it is not your place to say anything. Situations like this is what develops "GOOD RINGMANSHIP" This is something that is learned from experiences like your daughter just had. It will make her a better driver next time. She could have done a number of things to change the situation.

While my daughter was showing we often had problems in youth driving classes - even very dangerous behavior from competitors. The parents/trainers were usually the proponents of the behavior. We found that pulling to the center to express concern to the ring steward/judges and requesting a reposition was effective, also taking the longest path closest to the wall helped. Once judges stopped awarding bad driving habits the dangerous behavior was reduced.

and perhaps the other parents are equally as disturbed that your daughter chose to follow theres so closely and felt she was in danger.

It is very appropriate for a parent or adult to say as YOUR OWN child passes quietly cut the ring so you have enough room -these are children after all and they get nervous in the ring and sometimes do not see all the options they have and need some quiet gentle reminding.

This is a PERFORMANCE class, and as such, the responsibility for how you place rests just as much with the handler/driver as it does with the horse. You will see this behavior and a whole lot worse in the adult ring - it is called COMPETING! In my humble opinion, while it may be totally annoying to be cut off, it is up to each and every exhibitor to know what is going on in the ring and position THEMSELVES to be in THE most approriate position for: visibility from the judges, optimum performance of the horse & especially safety,

What you and she experienced gives you the opportunity to teach your daughter a lesson about being in difficult situations and how to handle herself in order to get the best go out of her horse for that class.

In most performance classes it is up to the handler to decide "how to run the course" - whether it be a driving class and you are jockeying for a good/safe position or in a hunter/jumper class and you decide which is THE BEST gait for your horse to run the class (I have seen many annoyed exhibtors complain about an individual who RAN the class flat out - the horse was beautiful and never missed a step - naturally others were annoyed because they didn't have quite the skill to perform the course in the same fashion - but then, again, that is COMPETING)

I am sure that there are many who will disagree and who feel that especially in youth classes that everyone should be "fair and nice" to each other - however, as long as SAFETY isn't jeopardized, I believe that competing is a skill that goes far beyond the horse show ring and extends to many different avenues of life.

JMO - Flame Away!

Stacy
default_saludando.gif

I would have to disagree with Mountain Meadows. If the child actually got in front of your daughter and slowed down to disrupt her.... then that is just about as far away from competing as you can get. Competing means you don't have to sabotage someone else. Just my opinion.

I am not competing a lot but in the last driving class I was in another competitor was driving recklessly in my opinion and on one occassion passed me so close that she almost caught my wheel.

She was racing around the ring like a maniac and at one point the judge asked her to slow down. I believe that the judge should have excused her from the ring.

If the young lady in the class with your daughter was performing in a dangerous manner she should have been "excused from he class" by the judge.

It will not do you any good to speak to her or the parents as it sounds like she was doing things on purpose, so therefore your words will fall on "deaf ears"

I sort of agree with Mountain Meadows. It's competing. I have done some 4-H shows that had driving, and some of the people really don't care whatsoever. *shrug* Although you should be staying safe and following the rules, there is a competing side. If you get cut off, then you get cut off. Thats life.

Anyways, all of this is just my opinion.
default_wink.png

I am sorry I just cant get past everyone implying this child wa sabatoging. It is somewhat ridiculous and really shows almost a pack mentality.

Sounds like there were very few children in this arena perhaps the horse was not slowing down maybe the 2nd horse was speeding up for no reason and they were running up on child number 1 the supposed sabatoger?

Perhaps driver number 2 should have cut across the arena and avoided the entire thing- Perhaps both CHILDREN could have had more practice with others in the arena we were not there but how everyone can assume that a CHILD is sabatoging someone from the very limited and no offense but one sided perception we were given is beyond me.

Why does everything come down to everyone in the show ring is out for blood? Now even our own children are not learning the way most of us did with our large horses by doing it and instead of explaining to our kids hey that was a close call next time try to cut the ring or really slow down and use your corners to give yourself extra room no instead they come out and we teach them great sportsmanship by assuming the other is out to get them and then others just join in without having even been there.

I do not know either of the kids involved but I refuse to believe with the limited information that we have been given that at a local show with a couple kids in the ring either one of them was out to destroy the other -

If by some chance that other child happens to read this forum ( and she would know this is about her) I am sorry you have been labled this way by those who were not even there and do not even know you.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry I just cant get past everyone implying this child wa sabatoging. It is somewhat ridiculous and really shows almost a pack mentality.
Before I even read this I was going to post the same thing.

How can anyone here make the assumption that this was being done intentionally? And if so, what is the reason? Some big money, top dollar, big win class?

I highly doubt it.
default_rolleyes.gif
None of us were there. And IF this did happen on purpose then did she do it to others in the ring? If so it would not be the first time this has happened and the judge and ring people would have been all over it.......not to mention people watching on the rail.

Come on people! This child had no earthly idea what was going on.........I am sure she got into her cart, went though the gate just to ruin this other child's class.

Again, nobody was there to make that judgment. It is totally ridiculous.

Sorry, I know this is upsetting to the original poster but this is all part of the "game"......competition. Learn from it.

Not knowing the ages of the children involved, I do have to say that with working with kids of various ages (4-15), it would not suprise me at all if the child knew exactly what they were doing. People always give children too little of credit! Children who smack others, lie to adults, or cheat, know very well what they're doing.

I'm not saying that's what happened here in this situation, because I wasn't there and didn't see it. But it always suprises me how people swear up and down that children are so innocent. I LOVE working with children, but they can be very abnoxious, disrespectful and vindictive at times. Katien, my experience is...children learn alot of their behavior at home, and if you had approached the child's parents, they probably would have made excuses for the behavior.

I wouldn't say anything to the parents or anyone other than Jessica... Maybe talk to her about what she could do if it happens again (and it probably will... show more than a little and you'll see it happens...).

I did a little research to find out where your head is at:

Second show wasn't so good. Jessie took again 4 1st place in Single pleasure She decided to try Youth hunter. The mare had not been trained. But, she wanted to do the class. Lots of guts . Well, Missy refused the second jump and that was , well, as they say that . But very proud of her. She will now be training for hunter. Then she had her last class of the show Country Pleasure with Missy. Well, lets just say I will not ever again allow some snot nose kid try to lock wheels with mine. . She went around Jessie in the start of the class and cut hard in front of Jessies horse and almost caused jessies horse to hit the back of her cart. Jessie tried to go around this kid and she would move over in front of her and slow down I have never seen anyone drive so rudly. Even after the class When they were going out of the ring She was totally in the way. we try to leave the ring she gets infront of us. So we hold back, She stops . We try to go she goes. This kid either is the worst type of driver or she doesn't know what she is doing and her parents should teach her driving mannors. I told Jessie if she ever has anyone do this to her, just cut across the ring away from the problem.

The way I see it is that both kids need to take some professional lessons on how to be show ring savvy and get some experience under their belts and learn how to manuever. YES I am a show ring mom but never an overzealous one (who's mouth you would never hear from one end of the ring to the other by the way I can't stand that). I always taught my kids many things about showing and we practiced all kinds of situations they might get into at home first before they were ever turned loose in the ring. Perhaps your daughter is not ready to handle herself in the ring just yet. I taught my kids to find a good place to space themselves on the rail, use the corners to their advantage and how to avoid a problem when someone is approaching too closely among other things. I also taught them no matter what happens in the ring, no sour grapes and they are to exit their class with a smile on their face and a pat for their horse. (This horse show mom always shut her mouth once the class begins and also doesn't coach from the rail). In the ring they are on their own to enjoy their day and if they mess up so what?????? That's competition and show biz and simple show ring etiquette to shut up and take your licks gracefully.

If you travel on the same circuit, tt’s also not too hard to know beforehand who may have a horse that might have a problem and a kid with some seasoning knows how to keep away from that. Again, do your homework well and be prepared! The show ring is a pretty big place where I come from and you said it yourself:

I told Jessie if she ever has anyone do this to her, just cut across the ring away from the problem..

And there you go!

I can't imagine this other kid messing up so badly on purpose and risking her own class just to screw your daughter. Sounds to me she was probably having all sorts of problems with her horse and you took it as sabotage because your daughter didn't know how to manuever. But nevertheless, mess ups in the ring are for the judge to catch and if he doesn't, too bad, again, that's show biz. If your daughter is going to show horses, you need to learn how to lighten up relax and enjoy and take your lumps like the rest of us with a smile and good healthy attitude. Wishing your daughter the best of luck in the future.

Sounds like there were very few children in this arena perhaps the horse was not slowing down maybe the 2nd horse was speeding up for no reason and they were running up on child number 1 the supposed sabatoger?

Perhaps driver number 2 should have cut across the arena and avoided the entire thing- Perhaps both CHILDREN could have had more practice with others in the arena we were not there but how everyone can assume that a CHILD is sabatoging someone from the very limited and no offense but one sided perception we were given is beyond me.
Agreed. Wow. And as Marty pointed out...

I told Jessie if she ever has anyone do this to her, just cut across the ring away from the problem.. And there you go!
Bingo. Even a child driving can take responsibility for their own actions - and/or get some gentle coaching, as Lisa suggested...

It is very appropriate for a parent or adult to say as YOUR OWN child passes quietly cut the ring so you have enough room - these are children after all and they get nervous in the ring and sometimes do not see all the options they have and need some quiet gentle reminding.
Circle away. Cut across the arena. So many other options instead of sitting hard up behind someone (which is also rude) and blaming the other driver. If the horse in front of you slows down - it is your responsibilty to take evasive action to present your horse at its best. Unless the arena is the size of a postage stamp - rule number one for anything to do with equestrian activities - do not worry about the other riders/drivers - worry about yourself and create your own "bubble"/safety spacing...

It's hard to say, perhaps the other child is a brat with no sportsmanship to her at all, and perhaps she's just a green kid that hasn't got a clue what she's doing when she gets out in the ring.

In years of showing saddle horses there was only ever once when I was really cut off in a class; I was showing a stallion & a gal on a mare passed & then cut right in front under my horse's nose. Being a well trained, well mannered stallion he just sort of took a close look as he arched his neck & sucked back. I put leg on him & swung him off the rail and away from the mare's tail. If the other gal's intention was to wreck my ride then she was disappointed, because I won the class. At the time I was certain this gal had done this deliberately--she was a well experienced show person & should have known better than to do what she did--it wasn't a mistake I could see her making. Now looking back I do have to question whether it was a deliberate act of sabotage, or if she were just a little more stupid than I gave her credit for, and she didn't have a clue about what she was doing in that moment. I might have had something similar happen other times, but I was usually watching for such things & made sure I couldn't get boxed in and cut off.

I once sat & watched a local open show. One lady was riding around in a pleasure class, cutting off rider after rider. I really don't think it was deliberate, she was just cutting her corners & staying off the rail & was so absorbed in herself she just wasn't watching out for anyone else. I did see the results though--in the next class the other riders were definitely playing get even with her. Several of them were suddenly out to cut that woman off, and they did a fantastic job of it too!! And yes, I knew they were doing it deliberately--you could see it in their faces
default_laugh.png
and besides--when several riders who were previously riding very politely suddenly start cutting off one particular rider time after time, you know they are doing it on purpose!

But I'm going off course here....to get back to this topic, I agree with those who said to say nothing to the parents of this child. It's not likely to help, no matter if the kid is doing it on purpose or totally without knowing just what she's doing. The important thing is to teach your child how to deal with this if she encounters it again--if it's a decent sized ring and there aren't a lot of horses in the ring it should be possible to keep away from this girl.

Doesn't really matter what the other kid was doing, you need to teach your kid to use the arena space more effectively, and to drive defensively.

Her goal should be to have as much space as possible between her and others so the judges can see her, and so she can be safe.

Teach her to use the corners to gain space to distance herself from the horse in front. If she goes deep into the corners, I promise the others always cut that short. She can

gain a lot of space that way.

Another trick is to turn and go across the arena, making VERY sure she doesn't run over a judge or steward or photographer.

This kind of stuff happens, she just needs to be very aware of her space and make it happen for herself.

SAFELY!

Latest posts

Back