Show harness question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windstorm Minis

Reaction score
Hi - I would like opinions on show harnesses.

Is leather the best or would you go with the biothane? My daughter has started to show and is doing country pleasure and I need to buy her a show harness, so would love to hear any input.

Thanks!!

You can't go wrong with a Lutke harness. They're made from Biothane covered in Patent, and look great, are extremely easy to clean, and they don't stretch at all, unlike all of the leather harnesses I've tried.

Here's a link to their site:

Lutke Harnesses

I prefer leather. IMO it molds better to the horse plus if theres a problem the leather will break before the biothane does. I also found the biothane developed little cracks that looked like a weathered tire. Although mine was several years old when it did.

I love the look of a well cared for Leather Harness. Star Lakes has a nice one for about $600, as does Double Diamond.

A Lutke show harness is a beautiful harness, I just prefer a good leather one.

OK - one vote for each!! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a leather person too. I think a good leather show harness is very classy and as stated, if you have a wreck, it's safer for the horse
default_wink.png
:

Another leather vote from me :bgrin

Synthetics are very practical as they are easy to clean, but there is nothing quite like the look and feel of leather.

I bought both my harness sets from Mini Express, one is a pleasure harness, the other a rolled show harness with French tugs (which I love :aktion033: ).

I am currently harness breaking a mare for a client, who kindly provided me with her own set of harness. It is a Zilco, which is synthetic, but I had to swap the reins on it for my own nice, soft leather ones, as I couldn't bare using the hard, slippery synthetic ones :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa, I vote for leather. I would start with the Carriage Harness at Ozark (not the $1000 CDE one--the regular $400 one:

http://www.minitack.com/mw135.htm

It is good enough to show in, it has the dual headstall (so Tiki can have her sidecheck) plus it comes with breeching which you should be using for driving around your place with the easy entry cart. Leather lasts forever if you take good care of it (the one Tiki used this weekend was over 15 years old), plus you can use a hole punch on it or repair it much easier than synthetic. In an accidient (stuff happens) you can get a horse out of a leather harness much better and faster than out of a synthetic one. Save the Lutke harness for when you're ready to hit Nationals!! You sure don't want to use it around the ranch!!

How was your trip back? Boring I hope?

I also vote for leather. And Dr. Pam is right--that Carriage Harness from Ozark Mtn. is a beautiful harness. My Mini one isn't here yet but I've seen a pony sized one & it's a beautiful harness.

I bought the leather show harness form Double Diamond....

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it is very nice.

Jana at Double Diamond is a great person to deal with.

If there is a problem, they work with you until you are happy.

Great customer service.

I have a biothane harness, looks like leather, easier to care for (just hose it off).

I got mine at www.countrycarriagesusa.com

Claudette was wonderful to deal with and it was about $295.00

Good Luck in showing!

If I were shopping for an 'all-around' harness today, I would seriously consider Smuckers betathane 'Pleasure' harness. It has everything you need(sidecheck, breeching, even has buckle-in traces, I believe), looks really great in their website photos, would be easy-care! I haven't been to their website REALLY recently, but last I looked, I believe it was just under $500-a good price, considering the maker's reputation for quality. I have three leather Smuckers harnesses, and they are super, but I also have a single and a pair harness in Beta from the Carriage House,in FL, and I LOVE them-they aren't suitable for the mini breed rail driving show ring, though. So--I would surely look at Smuckers for a versatile, easy care harness that could go everyday OR into the Country Pleasure show ring, IMO.

I also like the leather harness and you can't go wrong with the deal at Double Diamond. Talk to Jana or Garry and tell then Michele sent you they will give you a great deal and they are extremely helpful. Good luck and I hope all works out well for you. If you need contact info on Double Diamond feel free to PM me.

Latest posts

Back