Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
Hi! I am going to be getting my colt a new show halter and I was wondering what everybodys favorites are? I've went on a few websites but I'm not sure what to get, so I figured I'd ask all of you. There are so many different styles! Thanks for the help!

My favorites, hands down, are my Victor Halters. I've bought half a dozen or so directly from Victor and for a fraction of the price others were selling used Victors for. I just love them. They are so well made and so classic that they shouldn't ever go out of style.

www.victorcustomtack.com

Then for a "You Can't Beat It" value, there's Double Diamond's show halter package that includes the show halter, conchos, chin chain, and lead for $45. I couldn't believe how much of a bargain and have half a dozen of those, too.

Double Diamond $45 Show Halter Package

My other show halters are BKM's, Designers, and Billy Royals. I love them, too, but the above are the ones I'd hold out as recommended for the reasons stated.

Victor makes the nicest patent nose halters, though I like my Showtime closed ring patent nose halters nearly as well.

For some horses I still like the silver or gold/silver bar nosebands the best, and when it comes to the silver or gold/silver bar noseband halters, Showtime makes the nicest ones IMO. I got most of mine direct from Showtime, but now it seems to be easier to buy them from one of the dealers. I needed one more set of halter conchos & never could get them sent out from Showtime (had no problems last year but this year
default_rolleyes.gif
) I called Chimacum Tack & she had those particular conchos in stock. so mailed them out right away. I had them in my hand just over a week later--very reasonable shipping too!

I love my BKM halters. That is all I have now. I buy show halters just becuase. Its a fetish and one day I'll have a horse to fit them. Heehee!
default_biggrin.png

I started out with some made by quicksilver on ebay. They are really nice and great priced for people just starting out (lots of styles and choices). But there are some way nice ones out there. Just got to decide what you like (wide nose band/cable nose band, silver/gold, closed ring/open, etc.).

I would love to have a few victor halters , they are very nice and classy. The shephard style halters...i think star lake and showtime have them, are really nice and my faverite.

I meant to add above -- I was disappointed in my BKM halter. I got the Galaxy, with the patent nose and the beaded sides. The noseband is very soft, which isn't a bad thing except that it doesn't hold its shape well. I can live with that. I don't like the cheeks. The biothane tube that covers the cable is cut, with the beads put on the cable in between the two pieces of biothane tubing. I put conchos on, and the tubing turns, making the conchos turn with it. I just don't care for that. The other thing is the sizing. The size chart provided by BKM is not accurate. I ordered an XL, which is supposed to have a 9.5" noseband. In reality the noseband is 10.5" ! I do have a couple of bigger geldings that have rather big heads & the halter works on them, but it's much too big for my other B's--I have some tall B's but they have very refined heads that get lost in that halter! As far as I'm concerned that halter was badly overpriced for the quality and fit. I wouldn't buy another BKM.

Love Victors they really are the best made out there and the ones we generally use the most.

We also have a couple from BKM (custom and off the rack so to speak) and Schneiders has a few that we've bought - more trendy than classic though but less costly than some for a specific look.

Showtime, Ozark, Starlake, JC Tack are all reputable though and no complaints here from dealing with any of those tack dealers.

Latest posts

Back