Show halter Q

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
I would think that you'd want to use a halter that is strong, thin and blends into the coat as much as possible, you know, so it's not distracting.

I know cattle have halters made to vanish and all you see is their pretty moomoo faces.

Some people in the dog world also use very thin collars that are the same color as the dog, again, so all attention is on the animal and not it's jewelry. Though, many collars disappear in the longer coat of a dog and it doesn't matter much as to what color/jeweled it is.

I've read tons of threads and posts that the judge gave more/less in their favor just because of the halter, saddle or the rider's clothing. Since so many judges are corrupt and there isn't strict disdain and zero tolerance for it, why don't handlers try their hardest to get halters that only show off the horse and blend away on the face?

And please lets not say that it would be hard or expensive to get the right halter for X horse's face. Show halters are already expensive. Wouldn't really be much else to get the right base color and then stain or paint other areas to match any patterns on the face. IDK, that's what I would do. I'd be very peeved off if a judge ever used anything but the actual animal to make their decision.

I think a show halter is meant to accentuate the positive and making it disappear would not necessarily do that. If you are showing a horse who's head you think is perfect then I would say go ahead and try to minimize the halter but not every horse has a perfect head and since presentation is what its all about in the show ring the choice of halter can make a difference in how they show. Remember that while halter classes are essentially to show off the horse's beauty there is a great deal more to it than its head/face.

I would think that if the head isn't right, it's not fitting the breed and it should be known so it's less likely to be bred and pass on the bad head.

If it's a show of jumping or carting, I'd still rather see the horse than be dazzled by bling and get distracted as to how it's performing the jump or how it's pulling.

:/

In horses, show halters are chosen to complement the head, an to set the head off to perfection. A fancy show halter with just the right cheeks and even conchos will accentuate a pretty head and a nice big eye. A show halter will draw attention to an already lovely head.

If the head is a little less than perfect--and seriously, there isn't a hirse out there that doesn't have some flaw--then the right show halter will shorten the face, or disguise a slightly thick muzzle...I have a filly that has a rather unfortunate widening of her face white --it makes her face look wider than it is--fortunately the widening is right where a hater sits, so I can use a halter to negate the effect of that white marking. The right halter will show off the nicely shaped face that she has, rather than allowing the white marking to ruin it.

Please remember we are showing horses, not cattle, not dogs.

And quite frankly I think a halter stained or painted to exactly match the horses color would be downright ugly!

Also tough to do for someone that uses one halter on multiple horses, as many of us do.

Dog/cattle people would make the same comment you made, to remember it's not a horse. That really doesn't mean anything. Everyone believes what they show is better than the other. Horses are livestock, so a dog shower wouldn't differentiate horse from cattle, unless shown based on meat alone, which horses would suck for.

Thanks for the answers, I'll never get it and it doesn't matter enough for a fight to start over it. Just personal opinions flying around.

If course they would make the same comment--because they are showing dogs or cattle and would have no interest in making their animals into horses nor would they be interested in patterning their showing after what is done in horse shows. And sure, it stands to reason each thinks the way his animal of choice is presented is best. It wouldn't go over well if I went to a group of cattlemen and tried to sell them a silver and patent show halter to put on their bull for showing "because that is how we do it with horses". There would be no point, that isn't how they do it, doesn't matter if I think the horse way is better. (and I don't -- if I were to show a cow I would get a halter suitable in the cattle show world. Because it is a cow and not a horse.). A silver and patent victor halter would look silly on a cow. For me it is a simple concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the idea, make them for your horses

Personally I think a well fitting halter looks beautiful and does compliment the head and help hide flaws. It can be the winning edge to make that horse just a little bit more gorgeous.

I don't show and know nothing about showing Mini's, but when I think about halters, I think "bling." I want my horse to stand out.

Show halters are evening gowns, not speedos
default_smile.png

Back