What show halter to use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prairie ponies

Reaction score
I have an amhr mare that moves western. She is flat kneed and goes very level. She would not be competitive in a rated/sanctioned show in halter. But, I would like to show her at the county fair in halter and show her at her best. I think she can compete at that level. It would make sense to me to use a western halter on her? She will present herself and her head looks pretty in an Arabian type halter. If I ask her she will trot with her head up and move out. But there is not much knee or hock action. She would rather jog along western. I believe we will have an amhr carded judge at our fair in a couple of weeks. Am I correct in thinking that I should use a western halter and let her be western in the halter class? Any thoughts from those of you that show? I don't think there are any halter classes offered in amhr for a horse like her? Thank you for any advise. I have been thinking about this for a while.

It sort of sounds like your horse would fit into the "stock" division for AMHR. At local shows and fairs, when competing in open classes we tack the horses and dress the exhibitors according to what "big horse" the mini best represents. It sounds like she would do best in a western style halter. I have also seen minis shown in plain nice leather halters with no "bling" on them and it looked sharp and clean with no distraction. Seeing as it is a fair show I think it would be acceptable to show her the way you intend. Check the rule book or prize list entry forms to see if they offer a description of the classes or list the turn out requirements for the divisions and plan your show around that. If you have both types of halters, bring them both. Either ask the show steward when you arrive to the grounds or watch to see what everyone else is doing. It sounds like you have the right idea and I agree with you that it is best to show the horse in a manner that compliments them. Good luck at your show.

The style of show halter for halter class really depends on her type of head, not how

she moves.

Does she have more of an Araby head, even a bit of a dish? If so, try the Arab style halter.

If she has more of a quarter horse type head with no dish, go western.... There are also

some halters that are sort of half and half, with a wider nose band and narrow cords down

the sides...

Many of our own horses have been what I call "cross-overs". They aren't ultra refined, but

are more medium boned bodies....however, their heads have some dish to them. The "half and half"

style halters worked really well on them.

Latest posts

Back