Show Conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaroo

Reaction score
Okay. To start off I have a couple of questions for the people who shoq quite often and do it themselves, no trainers. I've got a 3 yr. old gelding who I've been showing since a weanling. Now that he's gotten older I find it harder and harder to keep him in shape. He has a show at the end of August so I'm going to start now to be sure he isn't to fat. lol I feel he's getting bored though. I lunge him every day or every other day for about 30 mins. What else does everybody else do to keep their attention while getting them in shape? And also, when you lunge your horse... do you just use a regular halter and a lunge line or some kind of special lunge halter? lol that sounds weird, but i want to do this the right way and I know somebody can help me!! Heres a pic of Merlin at his last show the July 4-5, Does he still look a little chunky? Please help/opinions they wont bother me! Thanks Guys

Meaggan

007_7.jpg

IMO don't do so much lunging. Keep him on a diet with less hay. Maybe start long reining him, get him to pull a tire. (maybe PM Willowoodstables she is very good)

Try different things so he does not get bored. Driving is very good to keep them in shape. He is 3? perfect age to drive.

Anyway good luck.

Nicole

Starting now is a good time or even earlier. It takes 2-3 months to really condition a horse for halter. It also takes a good eye to tell where you are going and make changes to feeding programs and work needed. It is a constant tweeking to get the best out of a horse.

I condition my horses by free running in my arena for about 15 minutes followed by free trotting in a round pen. They love to get the boogers out in the arena by spinning, sprinting and long running. Not too much stress on their legs and it works all the muscles. I can cut down on the time spent going around the roundpen but can get the long trot workout that develops back muscles.

we have switched to a new way of conditioning -- one person drives the lawn tractor, pulling a 2nd person in the wagon who has charge of 2-4 horses. we drive around a 2 acre pasture for a set amount of rounds each direction. we can keep them at a steady pace and yet they are not bored by the round pen. they seem to really enjoy it. my stallion moves up beside the driver of the tractor and keeps pace up there. they spread out to where they are comfortable. the dogs keep them company and they seem to enjoy it.

we have seen much better muscling this way! jennifer :saludando:

Okay to me, show conditioning is more then a good exersize plan. Its ...

Good Hay + Good Grain + Good Suppliment + Good Exersize Plan = GOOD SHOW HORSE!

I feed Orchord grass, Purina and i am a suppliment freak. I use Nutra-Glo which i get in Amish Country and it really helps with show conditioning, im my opinion i have gone through so many suppliments and i have never seen anything work like NutraGlo!. Its the best suppliment out there in my eyes, you have to spend a little for it but it lasts a really long time and i love it! It doesnt put weight on them (unless they need it) but it gets them into show shape and helps with either taking fat off or putting it on and it does everything else. I call it my 'trainer in a bottle' :lol:. It does so much for them physically on the inside and outside, you can see results after 2-3 days.

For Royal, i never liked just lunging him. I lunge over small jumps and over pipes laying on the ground. Of course you have to train them to jump before hand but it has gone farther with Royal to keep him in shape other then just plain lunging him for 25min every day. Normally i free lunge (basically liberty style) for 10 minutes and then were lunging over jumps for 20-25min with breaks every 6 or 7 jumps. He also enjoys jumping, so it keeps him interested. Builds up there hip allot as well and i love big powerful hips, im a lover of Miniature Quarter Horses
default_smile.png

Looking at that pic, i think that lunging him over some jumps would build up his hip some more to. His shoulder looks really developed and nice but his hip seems to be lacking a little bit.

All he needs is to trim up a little bit and he will be wonderful. He doesnt look 'fat' to me, he just needs a little conditioning ..i agree.

Leeana H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep him on a good diet (I think that less hay doesn't make them so fat, am I right?) and keep them interested. Don't do just plain lunging and don't do it so much. Some horses get bored easily while exercising, so it's important to make it fun. Talk to him and just coax him. Make it into a game. Go over some jumping courses and see how he does. Take him for walks and let the neighbor kids see.

When Buster and I start exercising again (yes, again.
default_rolleyes.gif
: ), my schedule may look something like this:

~ Feed horses (10 minutes)

~ Groom Buddy, Tuffy, and Buster (30-45 minutes)

~ Go inside and eat dinner (15-20 minutes)

By then...he should have picked apart what he wants of the food.

~ Go out and lunge Buster (20-30 minutes)

~ Walk him up to the house to see the kids (10-15 minutes)

~ Walk around the arena (15 minutes)

~ Do some fun jumping courses (20 minutes)

~ Just play with him! (the rest of the night)

I looveeeeee running around the arena with Buster and having him do his cutesy trot. It gets him in shape and he has LOADS of fun. I know that with grown horses, to tone them, I do a lot of trotting/loping up hills and I'm sure you can hand lead a mini to do that. Just do a lot of hill work and lots of bending. Do constant circles.

~If anybody reads this and I have something wrong, please let me know because I want to learn the most I can from everyone hear~

<3 Buster and Lo

Mini Crazy, Just one thing you might want to fix on your schedual.

It is better to work a horse before you feed them, more problems can be caused by working a hose hard just after they have eaten (mors issuesw/ colic etc). Maybe you could get the harder work(ie- lunging, jumping) out of the way before you feed, then after dinner you could do the easy stuff, such as taking your walks.

JMO, one of the many things they cram into you in Pony Club about good horse management!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Sounds like you have a good plan though.

Megaroo- I agree with what others have said, maybe just do some different excersies w/ him to make working more fun and interesting. Some horses you just have to keep busy, as they get board easily with just going around in a circle.

Good luck, he sure is cute!

It is much easier to exersize with a round pen, if you have access to one.. Or to try to section off a area, that would simulate a round pen-if possible. They run and work with less energy from you.. its more about your body placement-in relation to theirs. After using the lunge line for years,- I way prefer to "free lunge" now..

Latest posts

Back