should a stallion be bred from if it is UNDER 28 inches?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the way I read it, it does say not to breed anything under 28".

Kimberly Schurek of Slaneyrose Stud, who runs the Irish Miniature Horse Register, said the dwarfism was a particular problem in Ireland. “Any thing under 28 inches in height should not be bred from,†she said. “Breeders must be very careful. The miniature horse should be a perfect reproduction of a full sized quality horse.â€

Yes, that is what the article says, but it has been said before that it is apparently a misquote :no:

I understand it was a misquote, but the original poster was asking about this comment and that started the whole thread in the first place, so according to the article that the original poster read, it was said that you shouldn't breed 28" and under horses. Misquote or not, thats what she wanted clarified. I think it was an honest question asked by someone just wanting to know if this article was correct or not. She has now been informed that it is not the case and then it comes out that it was a misquote. BUT she asked a question from what she originally read first. She didn't misread it, she didn't make it up, its right in the article. I can understand her wanting to know if it was right or not.

hi again

i feel Ireland is always getting a kicking on miniature horses, ok i'll be the first to admit that we are WAY behind everyone else but there is NO problem with dwarfism here.

i know ALOT of breeders and ive never seen a dwarf at any of their stud farms, maybe they are hidden but certainly not common.

i have only encountered 2 in my few years in miniature horses and they both came from the same stud, its nothing to be ashamed of but it happens and we all run that risk.

it just seems 1 Irish breeder is making everyone else out to be owning, breeding and showing sub standard minis and their are many American breed and registered minis here now and they certainly didnt come from horse markets or dealers, as has been said in the past.

thank you for letting me have my say

Joanne

hi again

it just seems 1 Irish breeder is making everyone else out to be owning, breeding and showing sub standard minis and their are many American breed and registered minis here now and they certainly didnt come from horse markets or dealers, as has been said in the past.

Joanne
Maybe this breeder needs to look at their own stock before throwing stones.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Maybe all you other "Irish Breeders" should do something about this one that seems to be making trouble for you? Seems logical to me.

And I agree with Lauralee:

This article is full of opinion, personal agendas, and bias. The reporter should have done more research.
Breeding Minis should have nothing to do with size as long as the horse is conformationally correct......

And remember....maybe if this one individual had smaller horses they would be singing a whole different tune.
default_whistling.gif
:

Absolutely amazing. :new_shocked:

horsesmakeubroke, just to clarify, you posted you had spoken to both parties involved,

I would confirm you haven't spoken to me regarding the matter.

Regarding the 'misquote' by the paper, yet another trying to "close the stable door".

I am reading - anything under 28" should not be bred from, so I take it Kim dosen't have any mini's of this size. I'm sure if she had small mini's we would be reading nothing from 32-34" should be bred from.

Continually moving the goal posts to suit the individual.

Again, sounds like you people need some extermination and fumagation.........(forgot who came up with that phrase but it's very appropriate :lol: )

We have certainly exterminated and fumagated this Forum a number of times. When you have a problem you do your best to get rid of it. Sounds like you all have some work to do.

First I want to say I do think that article is VERY opinionated, and whoever wrote it should have done a lot more extensive research on miniature horses before writing it.

It does sound, however, that in general in Ireland they just don't prefer to breed for miniatures under 28"...to each their own
default_rolleyes.gif
: BUT for the original poster - there is nothing wrong with breeding mini's under 28" as long as they are correct in every way!

I am good friends with many people who specifically breed for mini's under 30", and under 28" for that matter, and I myself will be entering that group a few years from now when I am good and ready! I just brought home a tiny 23" colt who will only mature 25-26", he is champion bred and correct in every way and I especially intend to use him as my future herd sire!

I say, if you like the tiny ones, and if you carefully pick out a good, correct stallion and mare(s), go for it! I think miniature horses are going AWOL anyhow with more people today breeding for taller mini's...they are miniature horses for a reason, to be tiny! :bgrin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back