Shipping Horses into Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to ship horses into Canada before but besides coggins and health papers is there anything special I would need to do?

Yes, you need the health papers marked 'for permanent export' and there is extra wording required re: that the horse has not been on any premises where CEM has been confirmed and that the horse does not show any symptoms of CEM. There also has to be a statement that within the last 21 days the horse has not been in the state of Texas (or any other state where piroplasmosis is currently an issue. At different times I've had health papers that referred to TX and NM and one time it was MO as well.

If the horse has been in TX in the last 21 days then you will need a piroplasmosis test (negative), drawn within 14 days of the horse coming into Canada--in that case the horse would also have to have a vet inspection at the border (Canadian federal vet would do an exam) and as I recall the health papers must also state that the horse has been inspected for ticks and none were found. (much easier to get the horse out of TX and then wait 21 days before sending him to Canada!)

Requirements can change from one day to the next--all it takes is for some disease (piroplasmosis for example) to break out in a new state and the requirements will be changed--you will then need to include wording that the horse has not been in that state within so many days...the vet should check with CFIA (Canada Food Inspection Agency) to get the most current requirements just prior to doing the health papers.

Bill of sale is required (does not need to be signed by the seller).

Last edited by a moderator:
And be aware the Federal health certificate is pricey. So, you need to decide if the seller or buyer is going to pay for it.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. I exported a mare in late September.

The first thing to make sure of it that the vet doing the health check is certified to fill out the federal form. Yes, all the requirements with CEM must be verified and travel restrictions must be met. Once you have your vet sign off on the health cert, Then you need to either send it to one of your states federal vets to endorse it Or I highly suggest that you make an appointment or have your vet make an appt. and take the certificate to your states federal vet office in person if you are able to. This way it does not get lost on someones desk and you don't end up with a certificate that is almost expired. If you take it in person, you get it back right away. It is around $100 dollars give or take, I can't remember for sure the exact amount to have them endorse it. You will get back three copies that have raised seals on them. You will need three copies of everything, sales receipt, three copies of a coggins that has been done within six months, and I also suggest three copies of their papers too. I placed a copy of each piece of paperwork in a packet, and just for safe measure incase anyone else at customs wanted copies, I made sure there was an extra two or three packets of copies of everything. Make sure you mark the packets that have the raised seal paperwork from the federal vet, those copies go to the"important" people.

Once it was explained to me that my vet would issue the health cert. and I needed to bring that to the federal vet to have it endorsed, the rest was a piece of cake. Make sure your vet has the proper clearance to issue a health cert that can be endorsed by a federal vet, otherwise the federal vet will turn you away. It happened to someone while I was in the office waiting my turn.

We have brought horses across on 4 different occasions. (Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania/Tennesee) Required coggins, state vet/federal vet/bill of sale, and timing of these things is important with regard to getting them and crossing the border.

We arrived at customs at various hours of the day and took the paperwork in. The paperwork was glanced at, we were referred to the cashier, paid the tax and left. Not once has anyone looked in the trailer.

I would never try bringing anything across without being honest and having the proper paperwork, I am just saying it was a simple process in our case.

We have a shipper friend who is knowledgeable and if you wanted me to ask her for the details from your state to whatever point in Canada, just p.m. me.

She brought 2 horses to us from Missouri a few years ago, and others have said, requirements do change.

What I have written here is our personal experience and I am not professing to be an expert on "shipping to Canada"

A single copy of the bill of sale is sufficient; I have never had more than one copy & have never needed more. As I recall I've only ever had one copy of the health paper (the printed form is in duplicate but the additional page that the vet has written up re: CEM etc is single page). The border official photocopies it & gives the original back to me. Registration papers are not required to cross the border.

Cost does vary--if multiple horses are being sent into Canada it is cheaper, because all the paperwork goes to/from the federal vet in the same courier envelope (the FedEx fee is the worst part I think). The most I've paid for a single horse's paperwork is $135. Last year I got 2 and paid $181 for the paperwork on both.

My vet charged $150 for the International Health paper done here in September. The previous December he charged $125. That's in addition to the basic health paper and coggins test the horse needs. My vet does hand deliver the International paperwork to the Federal Vet himself and it is quick to get it done that way.

My vet charged $150 for the International Health paper done here in September. The previous December he charged $125. That's in addition to the basic health paper and coggins test the horse needs. My vet does hand deliver the International paperwork to the Federal Vet himself and it is quick to get it done that way.
Wow! I just looked up my info from September, my vets fee for the health cert. is around $40, the cost to have it endorses by the federal vet was $55, then of course the time and gas I put into it, but $150 on top of their cert. And a coggins!!!!! wow!

I had provided extra copies in each packet upon request. The purchasers husband has bought BH from the US on multiple occasions, and said it all depends on who you get at customs and how irritable they are that day. They said things just tend to go smoother having each packet prepared for them.

Another thing to check up on before making any arrangements, is to make sure a ban on import of any horses from specific states is not in effect at that time. I know for sure, last year there was a total ban on imports from 2 or 3 of the southern states. It is only a temporary thing that comes and goes, depending on specific outbreaks in those areas, so is always VERY important to check with the Canadian Federal Vet to find out beforehand.

Back