Shipping Fever

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVER

Reaction score
What concerns would you have for a four month old coly being shipped 3 hours away and being alone when he gets there. Alone, meaning no other animals. These folks have purchased a colt from me and I am to deliver him next month. He is a gift for their daughter for Christmas. They have other animals, but because he is to be a Christmas gift he will be at the neighbors till Christmas (about three weeks) He will be cared for in every way necessary, but we were wondering whether shipping a young colt, and then him being alone........what concerns should or would you have, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas here.

[SIZE=14pt]Shipping fever is a virus not just something that happens because they are shipped. It is a fairly broad term for a couple of viruses. It is also very contageous. We brought a horse in a few years back that got it and gave it to 12 of our others.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks Lyn, boy do I feel stupid I thought it was caused from the stress of shipping the animal. The colt is a healthy young fella. Again I did not realize that it was a virus, I will share that with the lady buying the colt.

[SIZE=14pt]Stress can make them more succeptable to the virus but it is not just a stress caused illness.[/SIZE]

Lyn

As long as he has a "human herd" to give him lots of companionship once he gets there, which I am sure he will, he should be fine. If it is only for 3 weeks and then he will be among other horses he shouldn't suffer any. A little peace and quiet won't do him any harm after the stress of travel, probably better than getting off the trailer and being mauled to death by a very excited little girl LOL

Personally I think it depends on the foals. I have one here who I think would be really ok with that and a couple that would just wither away in that 3 weeks being alone.

It would probably be better on him if he were just brought directly to his new home so he wouldn't have to adjust twice.

He'll probably be scared and stressed but check on him often. Three hours isn't so bad. Check on their other animals and be sure that they don't have any kind of dogs that will try to go after him or chase him around, things like that. Be sure they know how to fence and shelter him safely etc. and be sure they checked their zoning.

I agree with Lisa that most of my horses that I bought as weanlings would not do well living alone, as they are a herd animal. He might stress and get an ulcer or something. Maybe they can get him a little goat or something for companionship.

Hey Marty, I suggested that they take a goat over as a companion for him.

I too have one that I think would wither up too Lisa, but this little fella in particular I think should fair it out.

I am not worried about his housing situation as they will be giving him a sweet, loving home. They also have other animals at their home. They are hoping to keep him as a Christmas surprise, but I know, and do feel they have the good sense to keep a close eye on him and jump in with both feet if he were to be in any need at all. I had thought about the adjusting twice too Marty, and will discuss that with them when we speak later today. (evening)

They, I am sure will give him lots of human herd affection. Again I will remember to mention the goat being taken over for companionship. I am not sure if the neighbor has animals, and if so what they are.

I told Joanna that I would ask about for suggestions/thoughts on this so thanks a lot for thoughts/suggestions/ideas.

Will this be the first time that the colt has been in the trailer? Could you possibly take another horse along for the ride, preferrably a babysitter type, that would keep him company in the trailer?

Yes Helen, it will be his first adventure away from home. He is 4 mos. old. I never thought about taking a companion on the trip. I was more concerned about his time alone on the other end and such. I will be taking him in the back of my pickup.

I have been told by a friend to give him a shot of penicillin either before leaving or soon as he arrives.

Any thoughts on that one anyone.

Latest posts

Back