Shimmer is now really close

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
Shimmer is my first maiden mare (the others were proven brood mares) and I have had her since she was 6 months old. She has done very well for me showing and she is in foal to Banner my AMHA Buckskin Stallion. Shimmer is homozygous for black so I know it will be Black, Smoky Black, Buckskin or Bay +/- Sabino.

I had Shimmer down to foal the end of June but she snuck in a sneaky mini season in August - I did note it as a possible but it was only a couple of days so was more focused on June.

Anyway Shimmer has started making some serious moves in the last 2 days.

I now have to take it that she took on that passing fancy she had with Banner in August over a 3 day lust fest.

That was from the 17th to 20th of August so that puts her at 330 days on July 3rd.

I dont know what planet I was on when I used the foaling calculator the first time (I marked those dates as a "just in case") but I must have had it at 342 days gestation so it was giving me a date of August 15th.

Anyway I re did it last night with the 330 and got July 3rd so that would put her at 323 days today.

She has been developing a lot more and as of today she is dripping milk.

She is getting the V shape and last night for the first time she hardly laid down at all.

Here are a few pics

Milk tested yesterday is still more on the 40% mark

ShimerSaturdaySample.jpg

Milk tested this morning and leaning more towards the 85% mark

ShimmerMorningSample.jpg

Milk tested around 4pm and now its heading for 95% (green is more yellowy in the flesh)

Shimmer323daysgoingbyAugCover011.jpg

Her Udder - you can see the milk dripping

Shimmer323daysgoingbyAugCover006.jpg

Her belly - excuse the rug but its on her to protect her from scratching (she has been going mad with itch and I am finding it hard to put it down to midges as the weather has been so crap we have had very little insect activity) and its sprayed with fly spray

Shimmer323daysgoingbyAugCover008.jpg

Shimmer323daysgoingbyAugCover007.jpg

She is being watched like a hawk and will be going in under camera shortly.

Diane I have pm'd you

She is just adorable! Can we see her on cam? She doesn't look very far off so I wouldn't go far.

Well she has foaled and it was a very tight squeeze. I called my neighbour and just as he arrived the bubble appeared. Only 1 leg at first so I was worried but then caught sight of the 2nd. Not far enough out to get a hold and no room to get in either.

I called the vet as even my neighbour said she was going to need a vets help.

Then with a big push more of legs appeared so I grabbed hold and (thanks to Robins tip) I got my neighbour to pull up (her vulva) and I pulled down with the contractions. He could feel the nose with his finger so we knew presentation was correct.

With a bit of effort we kept going so it seemed to inspire Shimmer to push a little more (she was getting tired) and suddenly the nose appeared more pulling and pushing and the head was out - the rest followed very quickly.

Its a jet black filly with a little star and she is Tiny - cannon measures just a hair over 7".

Vet arrived a few mins after she was delivered and he gave the mare the once over - said she wasnt torn or swollen so he was happy but gave her an antibiotic and anti inflamatory just to be safe. He gave the foal a tet shot and antibiotic.

She hasnt suckled yet but is heading that way. I am leaving them for a few mins but will go back out shortly to see if she needs more help.

CONGRATULATIONS Karina!! how exciting! hope to see a new post with pics of your beautiful baby girl soon!!

glad you were able to get her out and both are doing well!!
default_wub.png

Thank you Cassie. She has found the milk Bar and has suckled a little and I heard a few swallows but her technique isnt 100% yet. Shimmer is being amazing and is standing for her and eating her hay.

I will be keeping a close eye but the filly seems to know what to do and is managing to get a drop of milk on her attempts so she should get better.

I am SO relieved.

Yay, thats so good! can't wait to see some pics of your beautiful filly! hope she keeps on going well
default_smile.png

can I ask how fleshed out was she behind? elongated, relaxed, open?

Not very elongated Cassie I would say a little over 2" so it really was very tight. She was slighty swollen but again it wasnt like Slaney who was really long and swollen each side. Her bum only got squishy in the last couple of days and she had been slowly dropping in the last wk or so but it was really obvious today. Also she was dripping milk and the milk was testing closer to 95% when I tested just after 8pm and she foaled at 10pm.

I thought as I am going to stay up a while to keep an eye (even though they both are doing really well) that I would post a few of the photos I took.

So just a few mins old

ShimmersbabybornJune6th2011at10pm005.jpg

Fillystillattached.jpg

Shimmer meeting her baby for the 1st time

Shimmerandnewbaby.jpg

Shimmerandbaby.jpg

Her pretty Star

LittleStar.jpg

Congrats on your pretty new filly!!!!

Barbie

naw Karina she is the SWEETEST little thing!! love the star how perfect!!

Thanks for letting me know how she looked lol my Suzie is getting really close... well at least I think she is and so I'm wanting to find out how elongated other mares get hehe...
default_blush.png

she is beautiful!! is she suckling well now?

Thanks you everyone I am really chuffed with her.

Cassie I think I have a photo that I took today of her behind but its a little blury. I can email it if you want. I can send you pics of my other mare too if you would like it - just give me your email address.

She is drinking but Shimmer has small teats so she only gets on for a couple of sucks but I can hear her swallowing as I have my head up there too lol.

Do you have the milk testing strips? I have found them great and I have been able to keep a record that way too. They are not fool proof but they do help when you add it to everything else. You only need a teaspoon to do the test.

I will email those in the morning as I think I can now go to bed for a little while as she just pooped and has been drinking.

I have used the Mother Nature Milk Test Strips and I have had no issue with them. If you lived closer I could give you some of mine as I have got loads but I think by the time they got there you mare might have foaled.

Oh Karina that was really quick - hardly had you posted that she was possibly near foaling and discussing her dates, and WOW there was a gorgeous little baby!

Many congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I think most, rather tight, maidens would eventually get their babies delivered, but it is so much better for the mares, and less tiring for them, if we are there to lend assistance.

Well done Shimmer, you have a very beautiful baby - the pictures are brilliant, thanks for posting them so quickly Karina.

Anna

Latest posts

Back