Shetlands and weight bearing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambler

Reaction score
default_unsure.png
We just bought a Shetland gelding , 11 hands, for my 45 lb grandaughter. How long will she be able to ride him? Also how much can he pull happily while driving??
default_new_shocked.gif

The general rule of tumb for Shetlands is that they can carry up to 1/3 of their body weight (including tack and rider) provided the child is a good rider who doesn't flop all over and pull 3x their body weight in a properly balanced cart.

That said - if the pony acts up and is getting away with things that the child is not skilled enough to correct you the adult can get on that pony for short periods of time to correct that behavior! A mature pony in godo condition is not going to be injured by 10 minutes of an adult on its back doing a correction.

The general rule of tumb for Shetlands is that they can carry up to 1/3 of their body weight (including tack and rider) provided the child is a good rider who doesn't flop all over and pull 3x their body weight in a properly balanced cart.

That said - if the pony acts up and is getting away with things that the child is not skilled enough to correct you the adult can get on that pony for short periods of time to correct that behavior! A mature pony in godo condition is not going to be injured by 10 minutes of an adult on its back doing a correction.
default_yes.gif
Thanks so much for the info!!!!
default_laugh.png

default_wacko.png
how much does the average 11 hand pony weigh?
default_wink.png

Depends on how they are built. A weight tape will give you a ball park figure.

default_wacko.png
how much does the average 11 hand pony weigh?
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif
I have heard of 11 h weighing between 350-550 lbs. That is a big span, lol.
default_laugh.png

Yep, it all depends on how they are built! The weight range can be pretty wide.
default_yes.gif

I rode a shetland in France who I believe was about 11 hands, definently no bigger. She was not a modern built mare, but of the slightly stockier variety. She had no problem with me and I weigh about 110 lbs, so depending on the build, your pony should be ok for your child for quite a while weight wise.

I rode a shetland in France who I believe was about 11 hands, definently no bigger. She was not a modern built mare, but of the slightly stockier variety. She had no problem with me and I weigh about 110 lbs, so depending on the build, your pony should be ok for your child for quite a while weight wise.
default_aktion033.gif
That is what I am hoping!! Miranda is very petite, so I think she will be able to ride him forever, lol! Bullet is arriving today and we are all soooo excited. He is going to be her barrel and gymkhana pony. Yesterday I got him a purty bridle and purple lead and halter and purple Navajo pad. He is gonna be one stylin' pony.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back