She's AMHR is she worth hard shipping AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score
Hi. I love this mare, Super sweet and gentle, my kids love to hang on her. Between her and my 2 other breedable gals, I will be breeding for 2 foals a year. (And of course, with my miniaddiction problem, I am sure I will aquire more gals along the way.)

My colt is double registered and has some great features, I wanted some input on whether you all think she is worth hardshipping AMHA. She will be 5 this year, and is due in March with her first foal. Eventhough the stallion was A/R reg. I can only reg the foal as R because of her papers.

Just looking for some input.

Thanks,

Promise

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/min...t/josiesite.jpg[/img]

P.S. she is under 34" so that isn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well from the photo you posted what you can see of her... I would personally hardship her AMHA..She looks beautiful.

For the 600 to hardship l would do it.

Oh I would for sure. You will have enlarge the market on any foals for sale and their sales will certainly replace the $ you put to register her A

I would do it also. When will she turn five? It would be nice if you could get it done before she foals. You would save harshipping the foal. How tall is the mare?

She is 33 inches, that is with her legs up under her, so if she were set up properly, she would be a little smaller. This year is is bred to a 32 inch homozygous blk/w pinto. Her foal date is 3/1 her birth date is 4/18. Does AMHA go by Jan 1st as the birth date or the mares actual birth date?

If They go by her birth date, I'll just have to settle for an R reg. foal. If it is a colt, I will be parting with it regardless, If it is a filly,well that may be a possible keeper, depending on its color ratio.

I am going against the popular census, I am not a huge pinto fan, she was bred when purchased but was only 1.5 months along and not confirmed in foal. So I did not want to base any opinions on that factor.

Thanks for everyones input!

Promise

oops! double post!

I think it would be worth hardshipping her into AMHA, personally. I can't remember if AMHA considers a horse's actual birthday for hardshipping or not; it's been a while since I hardshipped any. If you are able to get her hardshipped before her foal is born (and I think the forms need to be filled out and the fees sent in by a certain date, but the actual inspection and measuring can be later), then do see if the owner of the stallion she's bred to will send in an amended stallion report for AMHA, if they didn't put her on it originally.

That will save you a LOT of trouble. Good luck!

I'd hardship.....Call the AMHA office about the timing. That always seems to be a gray area, IMO.

MA

I'm with the others- I would hardship her. It cannot be the birthdate, if you were hardshipping a horse of unknown breeding you would have no birthdate so it has to be the year???? Not positive on that one
default_rolleyes.gif
: Just seems to make sense.

Hey -- if you hardship her -- make sure you file a stallion service report (late one is ok) with AMHA so you will have that done for the foal to be registered.

If they allow you to get started on the hardship before she foals then you can registured the foal AMHA. I dont see why you could have all the paper work in the office and waiting because they dont know how long it could or couldnt take to get somebody out there to measure her.

In the past the horse had to be 60 months old before hardshipping.(I did several) Not sure if it has changed.IMO it would be worth it.Your target market is bigger with double registered.All my horses are AMHA&AMHR with the exception of 1 bought at auction for resale.After he is gelded he will be AMHR also

I had a 5 year old AMHR reg'd mare hardshipped also. I wanted to get her registered before she foaled, and she was due in April, but her actual birthdate was not until June. I was told(by the hardship registration people at AMHA, that it had to be their actual 5th Birthday for that. I told them that was silly, because if I hardshipped a horse that was not previously registered, there would be know way to know of her exact birthday. When the the time came, I did NOT send in her AMHR papers to AMHA along with the other work, and I gave January 1 as a date of birth for hardshipping purposes. Basically, I hardshipped her as not being registered in another registry, which actually is not a requirement anyway.

[SIZE=18pt]What I see in that pic is definitely worth it and I would do as mona did....dont send her amhr papers and give her an earlier birthdate so you can reg the foal. It has been my experience that you have to take the horse to the dirrector I didnt know they would come to you.[/SIZE]

Lyn

It depends on the director. We have one in MN. If there is enough people, and you have to pay him a milage fee they will come to you. It costed us $50 to come here from there but it was worth that to not have to load the mares up in the trailer and drive that far in the middle of winter.

Latest posts

Back