Sheltie with grass allergy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckymeacres

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, My friend has a sheltie and she is allergic to grass. She has given her benedryl before, but it doesn't work on her. Any suggestions? She seems to be ok, but it makes her itchy and she goes bald around her eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mix gets grass allergies...but only in the spring for some reason....maybe he developes an immunity or something...but every spring he has to go on prednisone for about a month....it clears up, we wean him off it and it doesn't come back until the following spring.

I know this might sound weird, but what kind of dog food is she feeding? Sometimes lesser quality dog foods can aggravate allergeries. Sorry I can't recommend something, but better quality would help, definitely find a food without corn in it (corn is a big allergy aggravator).

Contact allergies are quite uncommon. Seasonal (pollens and etc.), flea, and food allergies are far more common and in that order.

Antihistamine doesn't work as well in dogs as it does in people. But, it's safe and not unreasonable to try. Unfortunately, many people miss the dose. Diphenhydramine is 1mg/# every 4-6 hours.

I would encourage a trip to your Vet and working with him to figure this out.

Dr. Taylor

I don't know if it's the same for dogs but with my own grass allergy it's a very specific grass. Hatefully, it's bermuda grass that gets me, which is what I have a pasture full of and is nearly the only quality hay that I can get. It's not just a nasal 'spring' allergy either, it's a contact allergy too, filling hay bags is torture for me! I have to do allergy pills, cover up with long sleeves/pants and then IMMEDIATELY wash the exposed parts of my body after I come into contact. Even then I'm itching for at least an hour after I put hay.

You might have your vet run specific allergy tests to see if it's a certain type then try to limit her exposure to it as much as possible? Or try to make a 'dry lot' type of area for her to potty and exercise? I know that some kennels mulch their potty areas or even use a pea gravel type of base. Maybe make her an area like that so that she's not constantly exposed to it?

Just some thoughts....

Back