She did not like it!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Had told my trainer/ranch owner, where I board Halo, that I will try and find her a fly mask. Well, she said that they had several there, for some foals they had at one time, and they would see if one would fit Halo. I went to visit Halo yesterday, and they had just sized one on her, and was trying to get her use to it. She was not happy! LOL She also wasn't happy with me, as I think she thought I was coming to take if off and I didn't. She kept coming up to me and I could tell she was asking for me to take it off and all I would do was scratch her neck and love on her, so she would walk off, flipping her head back at me. I just knew if I took it off, it would of been hard to put it back on as she probably would of fought it. Can't believe we are already dealing with flies. We have gone from temps in the 50's, up into the 80's, in just a matter of a day or two. I am sure we will drop back down, as this is super early to hit these temps. Such weird weather. But the other day, when I was there, flies were hanging out on the metal fencing. Guess they liked the warmth of it.

The weather was really strange this year--and last year! Last week it was 12 degrees out and now its getting up to 60 degrees today!! I saw a few flies yesterday too--ugh. I like the warm weather though =)

Some horses just don't seem to tolerate a fly mask. Hopefully yours will get used to it and keep it on. My hroses actually seem to enjoy theirs.

Be sure to check inside her ears for flies. Spritz or rub some fly spray around the ears to deter those pests.

There is an ointment (stinks and is hard to wash off hands) you could use under her eyes and around/on her ears instead of a mask.

Thanks...I board her, so I can't see her everyday to put ointment on her. I hope she doesn't have to wear this super often. I know the place sprays for flies. I didn't like not being able to see her face, or her pretty eyes. If it hadn't of just been put on, I would of taken it off for awhile, while I was there. Yes, liking the warmer weather, but it is really too soon for it here. I pray we don't have a super hot summer...we honestly can hit 100+, at times. I don't like that, at all!

If she really doesn't like it, she could do a lot more harm to herself trying to get it off than a few flies would do. Especially if you keep up your worming rotations.

I agree that some horses hate fly masks and never get used to wearing them. Do be careful that the mask can easily be released in case she gets herself hooked up on something while trying to rub it off. And if she really doesn't like it there are plenty of other remedies that can be used to help keep those nasty flies at bay.

Yes, if she won't get use to it, we will try other things. But this was her very first time with it, and very first hour with it too. I think she will get use to it. She did the samething with the grazing muzzle, but now she is totally fine with it.

All of my horses absolutely hate their fly masks until spring and summer when the flies get bad and then they run to the fence the moment we come out and start nosing their masks. Ace even started taking his mask off the pole and walking up to wherever we are and drop it on us. The only one that never likes the mask is the retired show Arab that is boarded here, we believe he was ear twitched and know he was beat so he is very very head shy as well as being partially blind so anything near his head (especially ears) he hates and will freak out. Pippin loves to to around and take everyone's off just to carry them all to the water bin and drop them in.
default_frusty.gif
default_doh.gif

It can take time, Ace hated his for a few months but after not having it on for a week when he tore it off and getting molested by flies he learned to love it.

My guys know that fly mask or muzzle means turn out. They LOVE their fly masks and come stick their faces in them and then go stand at the gate. Never take them off. I use farnam and skip the ones with ear covers. ps, you can also put them on and immediately put out hay or pellets or something yummy. helps alot

Last edited by a moderator:
Our stallion is pretty good with a fly mask. I can walk up to him in the pasture and stuff him into it. And he doesn't try to take it off anymore.

Our mare isn't so keen on the fly mask. I have to halter her (restrain her) to get the mask on her. She's become ok with wearing it, but this year I'm having a problem with our baby. This past winter Baby learned to like ripping Velcro; my overalls I wore for poop-pickup have Velcro at the lower legs. She liked to grab the Velcro and rip. So now when I put the fly mask on the mare, it doesn't take Baby long to rip the Velcro strips.

One of the things we did with our big horses to keep them from pulling off masks, or if they really didn't like it was find a cheap browband, and tie baling twine to it so it hung down like a forelock, then thread it through their halter. None ever minded it, as it was no different from having a long mane really, and mom's obnoxious freaking colt couldn't pull them off.

FurstPlaceMiniatures ...not sure I'm understanding your description of the baling twine. I thought one should not leave a halter on them unattended. I guess your method requires use of halter? The first thing Nicky did when we brought him home was remove his halter. I'm still mulling over how to adapt this to Baby. She is smart and eats everything; then does everything that I don't expect.

So, other than (after Nicky's eye injury) when his 'eye-cup' mask first came off, I've never left him out there with a halter on. Then for a short time, I put the halter on over the fly mask 'cause the vet said he needed the mask to block UV on his eyes. After I quit fretting, and after he became accustomed, I noticed that I didn't need the halter over the fly mask. He's never messed with it since.

One thing I've noticed; we have a couple vets that live down the road; they never put fly masks on their horses. Does one need fly masks?

Last edited by a moderator:
One doesn't "need" a fly mask, but if the flies are bad, they sure can be nice to reduce the irritation flies can cause many horses; and if your horse tolerates them, so much easier than trying to use fly sprays or wipes daily.

FurstPlaceMiniatures ...not sure I'm understanding your description of the baling twine. I thought one should not leave a halter on them unattended. I guess your method requires use of halter? The first thing Nicky did when we brought him home was remove his halter. I'm still mulling over how to adapt this to Baby. She is smart and eats everything; then does everything that I don't expect.

So, other than (after Nicky's eye injury) when his 'eye-cup' mask first came off, I've never left him out there with a halter on. Then for a short time, I put the halter on over the fly mask 'cause the vet said he needed the mask to block UV on his eyes. After I quit fretting, and after he became accustomed, I noticed that I didn't need the halter over the fly mask. He's never messed with it since.

One thing I've noticed; we have a couple vets that live down the road; they never put fly masks on their horses. Does one need fly masks?
Its hard to describe. Yup, you need a breakaway halter. Just get a cheap browband off a yard sale bridle. Put it on the halter like you would a bridle, and tie some strings to hang off it, like a long forelock would. It doesn't protect from UV rays ,but it keeps the flies out of their eyes well.

ohhh, that makes way more sense now, FurstPlaceMiniatures. The baling twine "hangie-thingies" act like a forelock.

Nicky needs the UV protection we get from the fly mask; but previously I had noticed that his long mane hair seemed to protect more from the flies. He’s the guy in my avatar photo, and his forelock is one big thick hunk down to just above his nostrils.

The mare and the baby have shorter, nappier hair, but although I understand your concept now, I don’t know that it’s workable for us because our baby tries to eat, chew, knaw, etc. on everything. I’m betting if I hung something off her mother, she’d try to eat that too. But, thank you though, I’ll have to mull this over.

Latest posts

Back