Sharing your Show Secrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abby said:
I too am chesty, years ago I was showing and used a sports bra. But it made one boob in the middle!
whistling.gif
What a sight!!
Don't you hate that!? I always called it my "uniboob"
laugh.gif

Mizbeth,

You put the shoe polish on the muzzle/eyes? Doesn't that irritate the skin?

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
susanne said:
hmmm...with what seems to be a connection between ample-chested women and minis, we may just have a lot more men getting involved in showing, thanks to this thread!!
LOL,add me to that group. My MOTHER gasped the first time she ever saw me in a tight slinky...like she didn't know they were there all the time~ROFL. She said WHERE DID THOSE COME FROM? I said, "according to you, Grandma Harrell!"

Through the years we have dyed several black manes that had been turned red by the sun. Sometimes there were spots of red where we missed. Black magic marker hides the red every time. A compact of cheap assorted powder eye shadows in several colors. Great for touching up & blending nicks etc no matter what color the horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are cracking me up!! I am laughing soo hard at all the "ample chest" stories!! I dont have that problem yet, thats for sure
whistling.gif
I know Ill never use vet wrap though
yes.gif
! Great tips too! Lol, ahhh, so funny, Im STILL laughing! -Katie
risa8.gif

Sorry to disappoint yalls but I don't have any boob stories. I loved the "uniboob"

For those really thick unruly frizzy manes, I go to a beauty supply house and get PERMASTRAIGHT or any africanamerican products to straighten hair. They all seem to work well for me. No more thinning manes. The thick manes just seem to fall straight and sleek appearing a whole lot thinner.

I also use corn starch on white legs

I also wear a full "apron" for grooming and don't take it off until right before my class because I am a slob and tend to spill stuff.

I keep a small rag in my back pocket

Never leave home without your baby wipes.

I also keep my show stuff in my trailer in my rubbermaids and never unload it. I have duplicates of mostly everything I own so I don't have to worry about what I left behind, including electric cords and my own hoses and all grooming equipment. Just buy double and keep one set of everything in the trailer. Also a packed suitcase with some decent clothes. And a garbage can in my tackroom in the trailer.

I clean out my trailer at the show too so we don't drive home in a mess. Less to clean up and organize back at home.

I also like to wash my horse at the show too before the return home so I don't have to do that there either. Good excuse for having to stay late and meet more people.
yes.gif

Ok if anyone out there is still riding: I use to get so hot at the shows in Florida so underneath my chaps I wore shorts, never jeans. You can't tell and it's much more comfy.

Swiffers, they are great for taking any dust off your cart, horse, basically anything before going in the ring.
yes.gif

Robin

Last year we started using mascara for the top of the eyes, softened with a little vasoline. Liked the look and knew it was OK for my horse since I've used it. I also quit clipping all the hair out of the ears. I think a little hair needs to be left to keep bugs and things out, so I clip short, then black ears and you can't tell the hair is there.

ohmy.gif
laugh.gif

We have a small carry bag of grooming stuff--brushes, hoofpick, QuikClean, etc in our trailer in the tackroom in case we want to just go for a little excursion(say to a friends or a fun show).

We also keep ALL the grooming tools in one big plastic tub--grooming kit, show sheen(or other resident product), hoof polish(not really used at all yet), a big bottle of QuikClean, rags, harness cleaning stuff(in a ice cream bucket--very handy!), halters(big and small), lead ropes, twine(and lots of it!), ductape, scissors, shampoo and conditioner, yarn and braiding stuff...and the list goes on.

We also have two 'spares kits' that travel with the carts(usually on them) that contain a wrench, electrical tape, latigo, rein and trace splice, leatherman/awl/holepunch, another hoofpick, halter and leadrope. These are carried on all phases of a CDE in case of breakage or other failure.

I would also carry a full tool kit--screwdrivers, wrenchs, socket, etc. You never know....
yes.gif
We also carry a vet kit that stays in the horse trailer in case of problems or colic.

We always have extra helmets, whips, number holders, halters, wraps(legs), blankets, and leapropes in the trailer in case of an emergency.

A wise trainer once told me to never use baby oil because it sucks up the dirt. Also, she said to use those white baby diapers as rags. They are better at taking the dust off. And for grass stains on your horses all I can say is cowboy magic. I love that stuff. Oh and for the bra issue, I wear a sports bra and an A-shirt tank top because they are kind of like an extra support, and when you are done you can take your show shirt off right away.(for those extremly hot days)

Okay...so I gritted my teeth, made sure no one saw me, and ducked into Wal Mart...

and for leaving behind my scruples, I got nada...

It turns out that our St. Helens Wal Mart is a true Mal Wart, and a B-flat, white bread dorky one at that. They carry none of these products, and the department manager had never even heard of them.

I'm going to call one of the black hair care stores in Portland and see what they have...I'll feel better buying from a small business owner anyway.

I was at a Beauty supply store today and they had Pink. When I asked them about hair relaxers , they wanted to know if I wanted the kind with or without Lye?
unsure.gif
I am assuming that you wouldn't use one with Lye in it but thought I should ask.
unsure.gif
By the way I thought she was going to pass out when I told her it was for a horse.
upset.gif
She seemed to be a little confused to start with as I personally don't need the stuff.
whistling.gif

Robin

Oh my, the bra stories are killing me
new_rofl.gif
I am definately too "gracefully endowed" to be rodeoing, tying calves, and running with my minis. The only thing that saves me is the sports bras. I have never had a problem with the uniboob though
laugh.gif
Actually I just wear two, one right over the other. It totally takes the bounce away and keeps me from looking too "big" when I wear a tight shirt. The vet wrap stories are killing me, now just think I hear about duct tape too. Maybe a little of that to hold the vetwrap up
new_shocked.gif
Just kidding
biggrin.gif
I love all the tips.
aktion033.gif

hehe,
laugh.gif

You all have some funny stories to tell! I too, don't show but I am looking into it! I know this is OFF TOPIC but can you straighten or curl your mini's hair before a show?

happy showing,

-Jennie

aktion033.gif
lol, I thought I was the only white lady getting funny looks buying black hair care products! afrosheen also works well for muzzles/ears, and those products are alot cheaper than the ones sold for horses!

:risa_suelos:Ohmigosh! LOL!!!
risa_suelos.gif

Love the vet wrap stories... I was just eating my midnight snack and I practically spit my cereal all over the keyboard I was laughing so hard!!! Oh man, is that ever funny!

All boob stories aside though, there are some great tips on here! Keep them coming!!!

Erin

Two words if you drive: ELECTRICAL TAPE. I noticed at a clinic this spring that one of my keepers on my hold-back strap had broken and I brought it up to the clinician. He waved me off when I mentioned having it repaired and said "Two words my dear: electrical tape." I tried it, and now it is my mantra.

Cavesson won't stay out of your horses eyes? Electrical tape. Hold-back strap busted? Electrical tape. Strap ends annoying the heck out of you and no time to trim them? Electrical tape. Need to secure marathon times to a cart with no dash? Electrical tape. You get the idea!

There was actually a spot on my presentation safety checksheet at the CDE asking "Are all harness straps/connections appropriately secured or taped?" That blew my mind, but apparently taping stuff is so standard it's formalized in ADS.

Wouldn't go anywhere without a roll now.

Leia

Here's my take on what worked and what didn't for me... (actually, for Mingus...) And yes, I totally sold out and went to a Walmart in Portland that carried the good stuff, although they also carry even more great things at Fred Meyer.

As many of you know from my past posts, I aim for a natural look -- no shaved muzzle, and he has a gorgeous natural summer coat, so I aim to enhance without too much goo...

Cholesterol -- I don't body clip him, so I think the benefits were lost on him. Sure made my hands nice and soft, though!

Pink -- He really didn't need it -- that shine is all his own -- but I used it to accent his muscles, the slope of his shoulder, and sprayed some on my hands and rubbed it on his muzzle.

I did clip his muzzle with a 30 blade, not close at all, so this gave a nice sheen but not the patent leather look that I wouldn't do.

Shine -- a conditioning pommade. This stuff is GREAT! It gave just enough control to his mane and forelock without making it greasy, yet made it look wonderful -- healthy and naturally glossy. I also put it selectively through his tail so that it was still fluffy and natural, but also caught the light.

Shoe polish -- I honestly like the way this looks better than hoof polish, as it gives a matte sheen rather than a high gloss. Beware, though...it doesn't repel the dirt as I would guess the shiny polishes do. I have an applicator of Kiwi clear wax sitting around...I may experiment to see how this looks, if it keeps the matte sheen but perhaps smoothes out the hoof...

Black sharpie felt pen -- good for touch ups on hooves and sun-bleached spots on mane, although his mane is pretty black this year.

Walmart brand tangle-free leave-in spray for kids -- Doesn't do much on a dry mane and tail, but after a bath this stuff works great and really speeds things up. Won't replace Cowboy Magic, but it costs less than $2.

Pockets -- never again will I enter the show ring without pockets! At our Spanaway show disaster, on top of Mingus' behavior, I had no pockets for bribes -- I mean treats!

A little girl to distract Mingus from his show nerves -- gotta find a kid I can borrow. Mingus adores little kids in general and little girls in particular, and he had a little admirer at the county fair that took his mind off all of the big horses. Anybody know where I can rent one?

Latest posts

Back