Sharing your Show Secrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
js1arab said:
How about a secret that didn't work LOL. Let's just say I have ample chest. I didn't want to spend $50.00 on a no bounce bra, so I got the bright idea to vet wrap them down! Well, halfway through the class the stuff starts sliding off, ends up all tight and twisted and felt like I was wearing a python around my middle. Never been so glad to exit the ring in my life LOL. I'm still not wanting to pay that much for a bra so now I just pray I don't get so bouncy while I run as to loose my balance hehehe
whistling.gif
That just made me laugh
laugh.gif
, sorry, but I'm allowed, I'm chesty too
tongue.gif
, so I can SO totally relate to the bounce factor, I guess it was just the 'visual' of the vetwrap getting all twisted up
upset.gif
tongue.gif

I just came on line and I am rolling in tears over some of the stories!!
risa8.gif
Still can't get the vet wrap out of my mind!!
laugh.gif
Going to make me wonder now the next time I go to a show. Just too funny!

Love all the helpfull hints. Keep posting and I''ll keep saving them!!!

Joyce

Robin1 said:
Where do you get the Mink oil sheen spray???
Robin
Wal-Mart Supercenter~LOL I'll check the brand names tonight. I LOVE this stuff, as it actually conditions the mane and doesn't have to be washed out! The same goes for the conditioning gel stuff, it REALLY conditions and never gets flakey.

I'll get you all of the brand names this evening.

For sanding the feet, I use one of those sanding "sponges". I get them at Home Depot in the sanding area. They come in different grits and are flexible to go around the hoof.

Someone showed me the white shoe polish on white feet but they forgot the part about rubbing off the excess. It looked really tacky with just the WHITE feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura

Would that sheen spray you are talking about be "PINK"?

I use the stuff and it works great is a lot cheaper than Ultra or Pepi

I use pink as well, it really works!!

Good tips guys!! Keep 'em comming!

Vetwrap, I never would have thought, too funny!!!
risa8.gif
risa8.gif

I've used both a palm sander and a drill with a sanding disc. The drill is much faster but takes a little practice. I'll probably take a block to the next show to get the hooves off the ground.

I showed Sonny as a yearling and he was a handful! He loved to get the chain in his mouth (show chain) and not let go. As we stood in line for the results, I didn't know he had taken the chain in his mouth and we went to get his 1st place and he reared up and almost flipped because he had that chain and tried to lunge ahead of me and jerked himself. We went all the way up there with him on his hind feet and me following him trying to give him slack.

Then I showed him! Before the next show I painted his chain with Dawn dish soap and let it dry. You couldn't see the soap, but he sure tasted it in his next class! The look on his face when he spit the chain out was priceless! He never did it again!

whistling.gif

I too am chesty, years ago I was showing and used a sports bra. But it made one boob in the middle!
whistling.gif
What a sight!!

We can't get by without duct tape, safety pins, zip ties, and baby wipes.

MVC-038F.jpg

Okay, my list of favorite goodies! Left to right
wink.gif

Lustrasilk Aloe Vera CHOLESTEROL, super detangling formula (and it does)

I use it to lay manes & tail tops just before a class (another one NOT for white manes & tails!), it's light green! LOL, I just put it in MY hair for conditioing and I'll wash it out in a little while
whistling.gif
yes.gif
You can leave this on your skin, some of the others are too heavy.

Luster's PINK Sheen Spray, GREAT for a final spray then comb flat, over manes for smoothing, tail tops (the fluffy V that should NEVER be fluffy in the ring) and topline sheen.

Dana's favorite, I like it OK

Let's JAM, shining and conditioning gel, another not for white manes, but great for laying a mane or tail top.

ULTRA SHEEN, by Johnson's Products, it's blue or green, DON'T try it on white or light manes. I LOVE this stuff, but have towels nearby for your hands!

ALL WAYS, castor oil conditioning hair dress. It is heavyweight and like the Ultra Sheen, it's great for flyaway manes & fluffy tailheads & v's. It's my FAVORITE, it's CLEAR and perfect for all mane types/colors. It's a heavy laying cream though.

Of course, I ALWAYS keep lots of baby oil gel around and my wide tip magic marker.

Minimule..

OMG yes the most important is to wipe off the excess or you have these parade horse white feet..eek!

Reo..

LOLOLOL..I did the opposite, had a horse that hated his bits, no matter what they where, so I rubbed Vaseline on the mouth piece and sprinkled sugar on it..BOY did he like his bits after a while..U just had to pick up his bridle and he would open his yap..so now I do it on ALL the bits especially for the colts etc.

Kim

I use a small suitcase on wheels with a handle to pull it for a harness box at shows. Its easy to transport, keeps my harness, halter, gloves, a few rags and brushes and other small items clean and handy. Then I don't have to leave anything of major value with my stall, I can pack it up and carry it with me. I also don't leave my show clothes with my stall, but rather toss whatever I need for the class inside the suitcase before bringing it down to the stall area, and bringing it back to my trailer in between classes. I keep my show harness in it year round to keep it clean and dry, but still allowing the leather to breath, unlike a plastic container.

I keep a seperate tack trunk, that is heavy and locked (to avoid someone walking off with it) in the stall area with feed, brushes, blankets etc. We have a week long show here and I usually stay in Sue C's horse trailer... I bring a cooler fridge that plugs in, and a long extension cord so I don't buy as much show food, and I can continue to serve my horse his cold beet pulp which I always keep refridgerated. A little taste of home
laugh.gif
I put a double sized air mattress and a lamp in there and it sure saves on hotel costs!

the black gripper thing is a clamp that is plastic with orange on the ends. they sell them at lowes and stuff. you use them to hold things together when you are using a saw horse. not sure what the technical name is. I get the 1" size one and it is usually on an endcap. if you go in and describe it they will know cuz that is what I do

js1arab said:
How about a secret that didn't work LOL. Let's just say I have ample chest. I didn't want to spend $50.00 on a no bounce bra, so I got the bright idea to vet wrap them down! Well, halfway through the class the stuff starts sliding off, ends up all tight and twisted and felt like I was wearing a python around my middle. Never been so glad to exit the ring in my life LOL. I'm still not wanting to pay that much for a bra so now I just pray I don't get so bouncy while I run as to loose my balance hehehe
whistling.gif
A python!!! Ohmigosh, that is just hysterical!!
biggrin.gif

I don't show yet, but will tuck away all these great ideas! Thanks for sharing them...

hmmm...with what seems to be a connection between ample-chested women and minis, we may just have a lot more men getting involved in showing, thanks to this thread!!

susanne said:
hmmm...with what seems to be a connection between ample-chested women and minis, we may just have a lot more men getting involved in showing, thanks to this thread!!
LOL, Susanne!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great stories and wonderful tips! Thanks all!
smile.gif

I also use shoe polish on the hoofs and muzzle/eyes, the day before the show. It blends really really nice. I add the black shine to hoofs over the shoe polish, it does help fill in the uneven spots. I use the paste in a can but have seen some use the liquid.

I like Fermodyl for conditioner tho. , you put it on and leave it on the mane and tails. Really nice stuff! You get it at the beauty supply.

Tooo Chesty, boy do I know that one
whistling.gif
With riding I have yet to find a bra that works even minimally well. Have spent boocoo bucks and nothing works. Soooooooo I have 'fixed' that by wearing a fairly tight fitting denim vest in classes that allow it. In Halter classes I wear a hip length jacket and never, ever do I wear a shirt that isnt either buttoned all the way up or at least has a high neck.

As far as a show tip? Best one is only do what your horse likes to do. Or at the very least strike a deal w/him LOL The day before a show they have the total day off and are put out to pasture. They just get a bath in the evening if needed. Same with the day after, complete day off. The second day we do what they want, go trail riding etc ( people freak out that I ride my show horses down the road or to ropings etc) only at the 3rd day off do they go back to work. That kept my guys fresh and super happy.

Latest posts

Back