Sharing your Show Secrets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! I wondered where this post came from with 5 pages since yesterday! I had to look at the dates.

But it must have waaaaaay back there!

Robin 1

No the black shoe polish does not irriate their skin. It makes the muzzles and eyes look very natural when done the day before the show and does not rub off on you then either. Remember I use the paste in the little round can.

I bet there are more new stories to add to this post now?

B

we are always showing pintos with white legs and tails. How stupid am i?? LOL

We never go to a show without a can of white touch up spray. Works much better then chalk or baby powder. Patches came in a raging heat at congress last year and we didnt have time to wash her down between each class. Thank goodness a friend ran over with the can of white spray
smile.gif

also i just learned this one from lisa davis. if you get hoof polish on a horses legs (we have one that rubs her legs together after you apply polish ughh) spray quickly with hairspray and it takes it right back off.

Take a half an onion (cut) and after sandpapering your hooves, roll the onion on the hoof so the juice gets on the hoof, then paint it over with hoof polish. EXTRA shine

Here is one I learned from Jim McKeith of Snowberry that just blew my mind. After applying hoof polish spray with water. Somehow causes a chemical reaction and the polish dries instantly.

One we used to do with the arabs and are too lazy to do anymore is to sand hooves, then apply the paste hoof polish, black on black, white or clear on white. Dry, buff, then apply hoof polish. The hooves shine like nothing you have ever seen.

We are planning to get a hazmat suit for our good friend Sandy(sedeh). At a show this spring she was applying hoof black when the horse moved and sent hoof black spraying everywhere. Mind you, this was the maiden voyage for her new white truck, camper and horsetrailer. Hoof black was everywhere; across the white trailer, all over her pinto colt, up her body, all over her face and glasses. She looked like a leopard appy. When we finally stopped laughing we took a picture, which doesn't do her justice, and spent the next half hour getting black goo off of everything.

I just found another new thing I like very well alo. I do sandpaper for most shows, but we had a smaller show coming up and I've been feeling so blah lately that I decided to see if I could just get them good and clean without worrying about smoothing any grooves or anything (and there striped hooves so I don't black them). I got those Scotch scrubbing pads (the green things in the household cleaning section) I got them just slightly damp, used a little of the shampoo and quick as a whistle they were bright and clean. If it weren't for having to smooth sometimes, I'd never sand again
biggrin.gif

a couple more things I've learned over time is one, try to make a routine for the day of the show. Try to do things in a certain order as it tends to help your nerves as you are focusing on the order of things instead of freaking out wondering what to do next. Secondly (and after a stupid mistake this weekend I am doing this myself) Always keep a set of coggins papers in your show box!!! I tend to leave all my paperwork together and it is generally the first thing I pack. I like to keep the binder in the house as I record my health info etc in there also. Well, as I'm trying to show myself and help three other people this weekend, I got so busy packing for everyone that I forgot the most important thing. I will now have an extra copy made for my show box!!!!

LMAO...all those stories are great!!
laugh.gif
I have never heard of the vet wrap bra's till today, and I also learned, NEVER to wear one!!
wink.gif

As for the tips...these are the ones I can think of that havent been mentioned

(I dont think anyways)...

- To get a fuller tale (or mane)..take a brush and "back brush" the opposite way, gently until it "bushes up" a bit (wont take much) and then very gently comb a small layer of hair over top so it doesnt look tangly or messy (Leaving most of the "under hair" in a tangle). This works great for horses that have a very weak or dull looking tale...and remember to shine it up with Pepi, or whatever you prefer to use...

- For a bleached black mane or tail spray "Black Magic" throughout the whole tale... you can get it at a local tack shop. It is like spray paint so try not to get any on you!! Once you spray it on...let it dry thoroughly before you comb it out because the paint will just all come off...

- To enhance dark legs (ex. on a buckskin) also use Black Magic to make it look more "fresh". It sure does make it look a lot better!

- To make a horses eye and muzzle LOOK balded use a black permanent marker and put some clear "grease" over top and it looks really good, and you wouldnt even tell you didnt take the time to bald
rolleyes.gif
Note: You can also use a black marker on balded areas...it enhances the dark coloured skin and it also looks great!

Thanks for all the tips! I LOVE the baby booties idea... I know what to add to my shopping list next time I go out
biggrin.gif
!

-Kris

OK, careful guys. Using Black Magic on the legs in NOT allowed.
no.gif
It is also NOT allowed to use anything to whiten the legs/body of a horse.
no.gif
I watched a judge in a color class wipe a finger on the white areas of all the horses looking for powder, chalk, anything.
new_shocked.gif

Robin

I have seen people use it at AMHA nationals all the time... not everyone goes in a colour class? And, this stuff doesnt rub off...

-Kris

I take a short length of 1/4" black elastic and loop it through the rings of my show halters. I measure it so it's snug, but not tight on the horse, and tie it in a square knot. Make sure to pull it tight and test it to make sure the knot holds. Trim the ends close. Holds the halter in place, and you can have the chain looser. Judges never see the elastic and the halters stay on!

Latest posts

Back