sex of the foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doffy

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed before but can't find the post. Does anyone remember if it is the stallion or the mare that predicts the sex of the foal? I have a friend that seems to be getting mostly colts from one of her stallions. Another friend said that she has always gotten 90% fillies from hers. Was wondering if any of you can share some information on this.

Thanks in advance

Doffy

A mare has XX for her chromosomes that determines sex so will always pass on an X to her offspring. A stallion is XY and will pass on either X or Y. So, it is the stallion that determines the sex you could say. However, there are other factors to that can have an influence such as the PH in the mare's uterus.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS THE STALLION, THE SAME AS A MAN PREDICTS THE SEX OF A BABY?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is the stallion that determines the sex of a foal.

Was that the question being asked, or was it more complicated than that?

Other factors do influence what sex foal a mare will have.

The outside stallion I am using has thrown nearly all fillies 15yrs worth lol So fingers crossed I get the odd one out, id love a little colt (to make into a nice show gelding) lol

Wonder what my chances are ?

I have had the same stallion for 5 years and I have one mare that has always had a stud colt when bred to him and if bred to another stallion of the neighbors she has had all fillies. bet you can guess where she will be going this year. they are nice foals from both stallions. I am thinking that it must be the luck of the draw. If we had a stallion that sired all fillies , i bet we would keep him forever as long as they were nice foals.
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Another piece of the puzzle to consider about how the sex of the foal is determined. If you breed on the EXACT day of ovulation, you have a better chance of getting a colt simply because Y sperm are stronger, faster swimmers. On the flip side, X sperm will live longer because they swim slower and preserve themselves longer. Yes, the stallion does determine the sex, but as the others have said, there are other factors to be considered, and this is one of them.

Jodi

So true Scoobiedoo. After having my daughter (with no planning at all :new_shocked: ) my husband and I had trouble duplicating that success (miscarriages). After seeing doctors and getting out the charts, graphs, calendars, etc. we had our son
default_wub.png
: .

Since I pasture bred my three mares this year, it'll be a crapshoot on what we get. As long as they are healthy.

So true Scoobiedoo. After having my daughter (with no planning at all :new_shocked: ) my husband and I had trouble duplicating that success (miscarriages). After seeing doctors and getting out the charts, graphs, calendars, etc. we had our son
default_wub.png
: .

Since I pasture bred my three mares this year, it'll be a crapshoot on what we get. As long as they are healthy.

Latest posts

Back