Septic mini mule foal!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamdamster

Reaction score
The little bay mulethat I posted about earlier got septic, only a day old.

I went out to check on him this morning 8:30 and was fine, 11:30 rolled around and he had diarrhea and was very weak. Called the vet (which was closed) and got the answering service, they said they would page a vet. 8 calls and an hour and a half later we finally got a call saying there was someone at the clinic. Rushed him out there. He is on fluids and got some sedative and anitbiotics, he was trying to roll, we were holding him still. Extremely dehydrated, gums were very blue, temp was alright, he would stand then colapse. I hope we caught it in time. They ran a white blood count test, very low, tested to see if he got enough colostrum, no result yet. It's amazing how fast they can go down hill. If he is standing and has that IV ripped out by tomorrow, you know he'll be OK, you know how mules are!! He is definitely a fighter, wasn't happy that we weren't letting him roll. Thanks, Susan.

Hopefully the little fellow will be ok. It is aggravating to try and get a vet when you need them.

Aww, I am SO sad that he is not feeling well. I hope and pray that he recovers and quickly! Hugs for you! and kiss his nose for me.
default_wub.png
:

Jodi

Well, the vet called and said he got enough colostrum, still don't know for sure if it septic. They are just saying he's colicy because of the diarrhea. The color of his gums is throwing them off. If septic they are supposed to be bright red to purple. He is also breathing hard for a bit then breathing fine, he also acts like he his holding his breath. They ultrasounded his belly and everyhting was fine. Has anyone had anything happen similar to this? I'm going to see him first thing in the morning.

Praying for the best, Please let us know how he's doing as soon as you get back.

for sure blue gums is a lack of oxygen. I wonder if he aspirated some of the fluids while being born? this can cause foal pnemonia

Sending prayers

Kay

First of all, I wish your foal well!

When I originally read this post, I thot to myself that the symptoms didn't sound like a foal we had with septicemia a few years ago. His symptoms were quite different from what you're saying. He was lethargic, but nursing. Very dull. Big time swelling & heat in the joints.

What you're describing sounds like some form of colic or digestive system problems..........I'm not a vet, but that's what I see, not septicemia. I don't know, of course, if a septic foal can present in different ways. Please keep us posted.

Oh dear, I do hope your sweet little boy will be ok, please keep us posted on how he is.

Poor baby, I hope he is going to be ok. :eek: I'm thinking like Kaykay is, maybe pnuemonia? Good luck, I'll be praying for him!

Latest posts

Back