Selling horses on application

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Marsha I would not say that by holding the papers for a limited time would fit this issue. You were holding the papers for a specific reason, the horse has its registration papers in hand. What I am refering to is the issue of breeders or anyone for that matter having a horse for sale with the registration application not having been sent to the registry.

JMS I don't think that passed, could be wrong though will look back through the rulebook and see if I can find anything.

I have already had some people think I should leave this alone, because of why this thread was started. I don't think we as miniature horse people should just stick our heads in the sand over "touchy" subjects, or backdown because a farm is bigger than ours , or we may get a "bad" name on the show cuircut. If anything we should stand up for what is right! Both as breeders, show people, or just mini lovers. If you represent a horse as AMHR or AMHA registerable and put it in writing, then after the sale something goes wrong and it is not fixed, there should be breed sanctions in place to prevent this from occuring. Think about it, this does not only look bad on the seller, but if it was someone who was new to the Mini World it looks bad on the Registrys. This could create a loss of a potential new member who may have new ideas and new ways of doing things, in turn this happens enough and your breed becomes stagnate and fails. (I know on my soap box sorry) I have a passion for the miniature horse industry, and am always trying to look toward the future!

We have purchased 2 minis on application. Neither one had a quick solution. One was a mare at a sale. Said she could be registered. We bought her and looked over the paperwork and noticed in there was a denial from AMHR. I presented this at the auction, but the person, sold and ran. We took her home and I contacted AMHR. I found out after a long story that the mares dam was accidentally bred while they were on vacation. The stallion got out. She foaled before her 3rd birthday. (by a couple of months) Didn't matter, in result my horse I just bought could not be registered unless hardshipped in. I did not want to pay the high fee to do so, so we sold her as a pet.

The other one was a foal from a reliable breeder. Sent her papers in. AMHR came back fine. AMHA came back that she could not be registered for a couple of reasons. First that the stallion report was not complete. Turned out this was a mistake on AMHA's side. Next they sent back saying that the Dam was never brought permanent. Well the breeder had bought the mare from another reliable breeder, and had not gotten her permanent papers. After several phone calls the breeder got it all taken care of and our filly was registered. I have to say I think this breeder went to all levels to make this happen with both AMHA and the previous owner of the mare and stood behind their promise. It was a good ending. The only issue was that we bought her in the fall of 2007 and didn't get her paperwork back until July of 2008. So until then we could not show her AMHA.

Point being that not all issues are the breeders fault. Things do happen. Would I buy on application? Yes I would, but only from a very reliable breeder that I know will stand behind it.

This year my 3 fillies(Wonder, Mia and Annie) were all registered and have their papers. My 2008 colt, Tad, I did not send in his paperwork as I could only afford to do 3 at the time and I thought I had Mia sold so did her. She is still for sale. Tad I have since sold on application but to my cousin who knows I do all my paperwork and guarantee his registration with no problems. The only 2008 foal I currently have that is not yet registered is my new filly. Once she is paid for I will get her application to register her with AMHR. I have bought on application before from this breeder with no problems.

Wasn't there a proposed rule change that someone submitted to AMHA that if the breeder did not register that baby but the new owners had to then they could name that baby whatever they wanted to? I was wondering if that passed?
Sorry that didn't answer your question. I hope you get things settled soon for you.

Don't know what AMHR says, but AMHA says if you fail to register the foal, you lose the right to name it. That's my understand at least. Here's the exact wording...

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

4. The owner of record or lessee of record of the dam at time of foaling is responsible for registration of the foal[SIZE=8pt]with[/SIZE]
the exception of embryo transfer. (See 192C Embryo Transfer)[SIZE=8pt]. If a foal is to be listed in an individual’s[/SIZE]
name other than the owner or lessee of the dam at time of foaling, then a transfer report and fee shall be
required. [SIZE=8pt]If the owner/lessee of the dam at time of foaling fails to take responsibility for registering the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]foal, the owner/lessee forfeits the right to name the offspring.[/SIZE] [SIZE=8pt](Amended 6-8-03, effective 01-04)[/SIZE]
(Amended 2-26-05, effective 01-06)
(Amended 02-07, effective 01-08)

Paperwork is just part of the business of selling horses.

We dna and PQ all our horses and foals, and this adds time to the registration or change of ownership process.

Sometimes this means that the purchaser of a new foal will have to wait for their papers, but they have been submitted to the registry.

Occasionally we have sold very young unweaned horses (they do not leave our farm until they are weaned unless the mare and foal are both sold) and again, the paperwork is often at the registry and takes a couple of months to get completed by the time the hair is pulled and the PQ is completed.

Our contract reads that the paperwork will be sent to the new owner when it is received from the registry.

I am always sad to hear the kinds of stories shared in these posts. It makes it harder for the honest seller when the buyer has been cheated the last time around. The trust is already broken and we are left to try and heal them.

All our foals and mature horses are sold with registration paperwork that is up to date and I look at all the details of the registration of the horse I am inquiring about along with all other questions about the horse before making a decision, we do not buy any horse on application at all.

Latest posts

Back