Selling Bred Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It bothers me too. I don't know how many times I see a nice mare and she is bred and I turn away. I want to show her not use her as a broodmare. I understand in a way getting older mares in foal to show that they can still be bred, but for me its not an incentive especially on younger mares.

Atleast give an option. If you don't sell the mare well then you don't have to deal with another baby on your hands.

I haven't posted here on the LB in a very long time, and debated with myself on whether to even comment on this thread. But, wow, after reading some of the comments...
default_unsure.png
I do feel compelled to offer up my 2cents.
default_saludando.gif

Ok, first of all, not all of us who have mares, have them just to breed and breed and breed.
default_wacko.png
This, in my opinion, is the whole reason the market is in the slump that it is. I have had my minis for over 15 years now, hand have ever had a foal FOUR TIMES...and up until just the past month, I held on to ALL FOUR BABIES that were bred for and foaled by my personal intent. That said, I specifically chose NOT to breed SEVERAL of those intermittent years, SEVERAL. Life circumstance fully at play in the consiencious making of that choice many times over.

I'm just offering to say, that not ALL of us who have had mares for years, have had them SOLELY JUST TO BREED.
default_wacko.png

I've only ever had ONE mare that never gave me a foal when I bred her, my first born, and I fully disclosed that to every person who inquired of her. I bred her two or 3 over the years she was with me, and she didn't take.

Every other time I've bred one of my mares, they had their resulting foals...a whopping total of FOUR TIMES, with FOUR resulting foals in over 15 years.

In all that time, I was of the thinking, that I was breeding with intent to sell the babies, but could NEVER bring myself to part with those babies. So all this time, in all these years...I still had ALL FOUR of my babies that I bred for. Till just this past month. I just sold my two firstborns, and they are both in wonderful homes nows. NEVER in my life did I think I could ever part with them, especially my very firstborn...but in knowing I will NEVER become a "breeder", as I just am NOT cut out to be a "seller of the babies"...in addition to other contributing circumstance, I have decided to that I need to go ahead and part with all my babies, as I don't need to have all the horses that I have serving no purpose in their lives, except to be "pasture ornaments" for the likes of "just me".

Having already sold my first two, who are now in loving homes who are already enjoying LOTS of ACTIVITIES with them BOTH, showing them already, going on trail drives, and sharing them with their families and friends....just knowing they are LIVING ACTUAL LIVES now with their new families helps me to know...it was TIME that I let them go, for THEIR sakes.

I used to do that with them too, when my son was younger and we had kids out the wazoo here every weekend to be "able" to do all that with them. But, in these recent years, my son is now grown and off in life with his new family. Meanwhile, here I am with all these horses...and I can only do so much as it is...I just couldn't see it doing them justice in keeping them ALL for myself....so yea...I am LETTING THEM GO.
default_unsure.png
default_sad.png
default_new_shocked.gif

Hoping to downsize to just TWO, one for me, and one for my husband. So far, I now only have two left....one of them being a mare. And YES...to this day...she is OPEN. I have absolutely NO INTENTIONS of breeding her JUST to sell her...she is the mother of my other one for sale, who is a stud colt. Of course, I can't breed her to HIM anyways.
default_wacko.png
I have offered as OPEN, for this reason...but do have my other stallion who I have as an "option" to breed her to, if the potential buyer does desire to purchase a mare that is bred.
default_unsure.png

I have only ever bred her once, and she gave me that one foal...these are my two last remaining minis that "I" bred for.

My stallion, that I have offered to breed her to, is my new ASPC Shetland stallion, who I have just, as of this past week, also hardshipped him into the AMHR...so he "could" breed to her, if the buyer desired as such.

What I'm trying to say is...just because a mare is offered as OPEN...and she is something that "may" have interested you...at least then, INQUIRE as to "why" she is "currently open". Not ALL of us breed EVERY living uterus, "intentionally".
default_wacko.png

If the mare is of interest...and I agree with Kay...the mare that is for sale is what should be the focus of the inquiry where a mare is involved...
default_unsure.png
If she is in foal...then bonus...but the mare is what is being offered, primarily.

I hope this makes at least some sort of sense.
default_unsure.png
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two older mares I can't sell because they haven't been bred. Why? I quit breeding, but suspicions are strong anyway. Dropped the price down, down, down. Down to $250, still no bites. So, I turned them out with my Buckaroo grandson. If I have to vet check, I will have to up the prices to cover the vet bill. As it is, if I were to take them to an auction, I would lose money after getting coggins and health cert. and paying the fees, I would not even break even.

I am happy some people do sell their bred mares. I have gotten some incredible mares, bred to stallions I would never have been able to get a foal out of otherwise, and improving my breeding stock!

yes.gif

I have sold very few bred mares. However, I have only bred those mares to stallions I thought were THE best cross for that mare.

If she did not sell I wanted the foal to be from the best stallion possible.

If she does sell, the people have reaped the rewards if my careful breeding.

I bought a bred mare from Millenium farms last year that had a beautiful live foal in 2010. They sold all their horses last fall. I always BUY the Mare, the foal is a bonus as one never knows if they will have a live one.

I know many buyers that are looking only for bred mares as they see this as a bonus.

There have been a few times that I have not bought a mare because she was bred to a stallion that I was not fond of. I would have bought her open though.

I dont generally like it. I have passed on several mares because they were bred. =/

Good points there too Diane.......... and I also have had better luck selling mares as bred, though I have not sold too many over the years.

Gosh...well it seems to be the general consensus, at least among the majority of responders to this thread...that a mare's whole value is based heavily, if not solely on her ability to reproduce, and even more is, if she is currently already carrying???
default_unsure.png
Her only purpose in life is to bred, breed again, and then breed some more...and she better have a foal EVERY time, else be deemed unworthy????

I do desire to sell my last remaining mare and her colt...but if having her in foal with yet another is what it takes to achieve a sale...well....gosh...
default_new_shocked.gif
I truly don't see how flooding the already over flowing market with EVEN MORE foals, and causing the overall prices to have to drop even LOWER will help resolve the problem that already exists....that being...TOO MANY ARE ALREADY PREGNANT.

I would absolutely guarantee my mare does conceive to my stallion...if "that"is what is desired among the general buyer consensus.
default_wacko.png
I'm still undecided though, if I'll even be keeping my stallion...giving myself to the end of the year to decide on him, for now.

I am just having a hard time with myself over that though...because it just seems to only ensure to further flood the market itself if every available mare must also already be pregnant with yet even MORE babies before she herself is deemed worthy of even considering????

I just don't seem to understand the rationale of it all, I guess???
default_sad.png
Which is why (well...one of the many reasons, LOL) I am getting out of "breeding" alltogether.
default_wink.png
After these last two go, I'm all done...unless I go ahead and sell my shetland stallion too.
default_wink.png
Still on the fence over him for now though, LOL.
default_wub.png

Why breed a mare and then sell her? Just thinking. I'd love to hear opinions.

Edited to add: If someone is selling their mare in foal, it's just telling me that the resulting foal doesn't really hold much value to you, so why did you bother breeding her in the first place? Seems really willy nilly to me.
To answer your question, there are as many reasons to sell a bred mare as there are to sell any horse. Some people want stallions, some want mares. Some want open, some want bred. Some want young, some want old. Some want Pinto, some want Solid. Some want Black, some want Red, some want dilute.

I have a couple of bred mares offered for sale. I also have an open mare offered for sale (that foaled late in the year). If they do not sell, I will be thrilled with the foals I get from them next year. That's a far cry from that foal not holding much value for me. If the open mare does not sell, I will breed her back next spring when she can get back on a Spring foaling schedule, and probably remove her from the market.

My question would be, "Why would someone come on a public forum and accuse others of being irresponsible because of their choices in what they breed or offer for sale?"

I agree 100% with Songcatcher, and a few others..

I had/have one bred/exposed mare for sale and one open mare for sale, if they sell great, if not, then I have plans for both, plus the resulting foal on the one if she is indeed in foal. My choice for breeding the one mare was because I had initially purchased her (open) because I liked her, thought she would cross well with my colt, so crossed them together.. After I saw the resulting foals of my Doc crosses, I decided that I REALLY needed to focus on him and better prep a broodmare band specifically to him and the need to get him and/or his foals out in the show ring, so with that realization, I decided to offer most of my R only stock (including this mare) for sale, to free up time and space to focus on my new goals.

Me, when looking for a mare to purchase, I tend to go for the older "been there, done that" broodies, so typically look at the girls that are in foal or had a foal within that past year/foal on side, just a "comfort" zone for my decision which is always based on the mare herself first.. Would I turn away a super nice open mare for the right price? No, if she fit what I was wanting then I'd take the chance on her..

To answer your question, there are as many reasons to sell a bred mare as there are to sell any horse. Some people want stallions, some want mares. Some want open, some want bred. Some want young, some want old. Some want Pinto, some want Solid. Some want Black, some want Red, some want dilute.

I have a couple of bred mares offered for sale. I also have an open mare offered for sale (that foaled late in the year). If they do not sell, I will be thrilled with the foals I get from them next year. That's a far cry from that foal not holding much value for me. If the open mare does not sell, I will breed her back next spring when she can get back on a Spring foaling schedule, and probably remove her from the market.

My question would be, "Why would someone come on a public forum and accuse others of being irresponsible because of their choices in what they breed or offer for sale?"

I didn't accuse you or anyone of being irresponsible. I was just asking for thoughts and opinions and reasons why
default_smile.png
That's what a forum is for
default_yes.gif

Maybe it's the area or the farms you deal with sometimes..but over the past 25 years l've learned that if l'm in the market for a mare l want her bred and checked to make sure she is in foal..that way l know l at least made ever attempt and not that it means a whole lot but l feel better knowing she is and can get in foal. We usually have anywhere from 5/10 breeding age stallions on the property so it for sure wasn't because l was looking for a 2 for one deal by a long shot. lf l'm buying a young under 3 mare or a filly thats a different story l sure don't want them already bred. We keep just over 20 breedable mature mares here and have never had more then 10 foals in a year..so yes not everything needs to be bred. Selling a broodmare to another breeding farm which is usually the case with us they expect them to come with a foal on them or vet checked in foal l see no problem with that at all..first time or just someone who wants a bred mare can look elsewhere l don't trust that type of buyer l have more then once found they just like to wheel and deal where as l prefer a longer term home for them. some of my most pricy mares have come and l'm still waiting for foals after a number of years...foaling time can make or break a productive mare if there are complications l'm sure others must also know that. For me breeding them to sell has very little to do with my not caring about the resulting foal it's just the way it is and you either go with the flow or buyers go elsewhere. Got my big panties on and yep you got it right to l consider myself a back yard breeder and am loving every minute of it again..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I personally prefer to buy a mare open, but I do look at past history and the mares foaling record when possible. It just makes me worry to transport & stress a mare in foal by moving her to a new place. Call me a worry wart, but it seems like asking for trouble. I have bought a few mares in foal, because I like the mare, but it isn't my first preference.

If I'm buying a breeding age mare, I would expect her to be in foal. Not necessarily because I want the foal, but I want to make sure she can get in foal. I sell bred mares for the same reason and because when I need to cut down, I like to offer some of my best.

Thanks Songcatcher, my thoughts exactly. I dont breed my mares to death- they get a year off now and again to have a break. I am just leary because I know so many people who have gotten screwed over by 'broodmares' (that were bought supposedely as a viable breedable mare) that would not carry a foal.

This has nothing to do with those who want a mare just to show, or drive or to do something else with it, but the original post was not about that- it was about buying broodmares and breeding them.

This has nothing to do with those who want a mare just to show, or drive or to do something else with it, but the original post was not about that- it was about buying broodmares and breeding them.
LOL...my apologies. I do tend to do that often...drift beyond topic.
default_blush.png
Which is why I kinda don't post much anymore, LOL.
default_wink.png
I always find myself quoting one of my old favorites...Gilda Radner in her character of "Rosann Rosanna Danna"...and often, I end up saying "Oops...Nevermind".
default_wub.png

This thread really does bother me a bit. I sell bred or exposed mares often. My reason for doing so varies. My greatest reason is because I do not stand my stallions to outside mares and do get many inquiries to do so. So when I sell a mare exposed or bred to one of my stallions, I feel I am offering the next best thing to potential clients. I do not just buy mares, breed them and try to resell them. When I sell a mare it has been part of my program, and has been producing for me. Perhaps I have retained a daughter, son, etc. to add to my breeding program. If the mare has been consistantly producing with my stallions, I think that is a great opportunity for someone else to buy my mare and have a potentially great foal to add to their program, or to sell to help with the cost of the mare purchase.

Currently I am offing 8 bred/exposed mares for sale, for a number of reasons. A few I have retained offspring from and want to give others the opportunity to add quality to their program. A couple are getting up there in years and want to find them good retirement homes once their producing days are over. I am perhaps changing the direction of my breeding program so I am looking to add different horses to my program, and therefore adding these bred mares to my sales offering to accomidate my interest in adding different horses and trying new bloodlines in my program.

I think to not consider purchasing a mare because she is bred or exposed is really crazy in my opinion. Yes it is just my opinion. Like someone else said, when you do offer an open mare, that throws up red flags at people too, and they want to know why, whats wrong with that mare, etc. Quite honestly, I have never had a client interested in an open mare, they always wanted the mare bred to one of my boys or confirmed in foal. Many people want a quicker return on their investment. When I first started, many of the mares that I bought were in foal to very quality stallions. I was able to sell the foals immediately and quickly pay off my loans for the mares...made great financial sense to me. Some people maybe can afford to wait an extra year or two, I wanted to not carry debt any longer than I had to.

Yes, there are a few who like the novelty idea of having a foal. But those are not the serious people willing to pay a quality price for a quality horse in my opinion, they are the ones who want a mare for $100 bred or in foal...just for the fun of it. Yes those people do exist and I do get inquiries from them people as well.

I guess my point is that I do not feel it is irresponsible to sell mares bred, and that just because we do so, does not mean we do not have confidence in what the cross will produce and the resulting foal will be. In fact, I have actually purchased back a few of my own foals after a mare I sold produced a foal that I liked and wanted to bring back into my program. I am proud to offer my bred mares for sale, and help others improve their breeding program by doing such.

In closing, while there are many reasons people sell horses, do yourself a favor and don't over look a bred mare, it might be a big mistake and one you will regret...Just my opinion and wanted to voice it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back