Selling a Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondJohn

Reaction score
I received a phone call today from someone whom AMHR is accusing them of selling a horse with false papers. Here is the info:

The foal/horse was sold 6 years ago, and with a registration application. Remember that AMHR didn't require pictures then and didn't/doesn't DNA. The colt was a sorrel with a blaze (very common).

The horse has since been through 5 different owners.

The current owner purchased the horse out of Canada, took the horse home, DNA'ed the Horse, one of her mares, and one of her stallions and states that the horse is out of her mare, by her stallion. What is the likeliness of purchasing a horse, bringing it back to the states and it DNA'ing to your breeding horses, the first time??? Why would you do this??? Why would the new owner cherck them to their horses, not the original sire and dam??? Shouldn't there have to be a "witness to this?" :DOH!

And should the so called "original breeder" be held accountable???

Be nice to know others opinions
default_saludando.gif

Let me here your comments,

Johnny Diamond

This is why I never sell on application. I would say that some more investigating needs to be done.

I very much agree with you! But because of this, from my understanding, they are having a hearing for this breeder at the Annual Meeting in Missouri!

So, who is being put on "trial"? The orignal breeder of the horse or the new owner? If I was the orignal breeder, you'd bet I would be pulling hairs on the dam and sire for DNA and combing through pictures to find foal pictures. It's going to come down to proving parentage and if the horse has phony papers then the person who put those papers on the horse should be punished. I know it happens all the time but it underminds the rest of the horses in our industry.

As breeders, we are responsible for the papers on our horses which is why I never sell on application.

This is why anyone raising a foal should register it before it is sold. It would keep the paperwork from becoming a mess from a horse still being on application. I know a friend of mine bought a colt with AMHA papers but he was to big which was fine with her as she likes B size horses, he also had an application for registration for AMHR which was worthless because the dam hadn't been taken permanent and had been sold, so now she has a now gelding without papers. If this horse had been registered and sold with papers instead of an application, there wouldn't have been a problem at all. I personally feel if you foal it out you should take responsiblity to make sure its registered correctly. Its silly to not pay that $15 or $20 and do it early than sell it to someone that doesn't have a clue about what to do and it ends up costing several hundred to do what the original owner could have done for less.

That sounds just too weird. If the original breeder never owned the sire and dam the current owner is claiming have proved to be the parents of this horse, it would be absolutely impossible for that breeder to have ever sold that particular animal. This would seem just too ridiculous to be taken seriously by anyone. How does current owner explain how a horse of her own breeding ended up in Canada with the wrong paperwork???

I don't believe in selling on application, but at the same time I don't know how registration papers would help in this situation. Even if the foal sold with papers originally, after passing through several owners (any one of which could have switched horses)--current owner could use those papers and switch horses, and voila! Horse was sold with "wrong" papers. Quite honestly if someone wants to make trouble...even DNA wouldn't help. Why not? Because if horse was DNA'd at time of registration, the horse doesn't get DNA'd again when transferred. If horse was not used for breeding (or if offspring were not DNA'd) then once the horse passes through several owners, again any one of those owners could switch out the horse and so current owner buys a horse that does not match its papers nor its DNA.

It's hard to know what is true without knowing all sides of the story, but the info given makes it sound like the current owner is trying to make trouble for the original breeder. If that's the case, and she succeeds, that's just plain scary.

Latest posts

Back