Scarlet's first show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
What a day!

Granted it wasn't a rated show, but what a great experience withh our new little girl, Scarlet Ribbons (She is currently ASPC, but since we hope to also register her as AMHR, I'm posting here...)

We would have liked to have taken both Scarlet and Mingus to the Pacific Crown show, but neither were in top condition yet, and it seemed silly to pay for show and gas when I didn't feel they were in top form. So our local schooling show seemed like a great first show for our new girl, and for Mingus' first show of 2007.

In true susanne fashion, we got off to a less than auspicious beginning. Friday morning I went to Shayleen's to prep Scarlet and Shayleen's stallion, YDR Dream On. First we clipped Scarlet, who was so brave and patient; previously she had thrown a fit over leg clipping, but by starting with her comfort zone and expanding from there, she was quickly standing like a pro.

We began bathtime withh Dream On, who was not a happy camper. There were mares who needed his attention, and we expected him to puit up with this silly stuff? Yeah, right! I held him while Shayleen did the honors. Unfortunately, when he decided this was not his idea of a picnic and reared, I was caught off guard and slipped on the wet grass. I managed to hold on to the lead rope, but my poor fingers paid the price. We finished bathtime without further ado. Both horses were gleaming in the afternoon sun. Scarlet's white markings and tail were truly white without any extraordinary efforts. Scarlet is the perfect horse for a graphic designer, as her markings on her right side suggest a foal, its dam and a stallion in the background...at least in my fanciful mind!

As I headed off to bathe Mingus, my fingers began to throb ominously, and by the time I got home two fingers were nearly black to the knuckle and horribly swollen. Uh-oh...not a good sign. I began to think realistically (not the norm here!), and scaled back on my plans.

Mingus only needed bridle path, head, and fetlocks trimmed. Piece of cake, right? Nuh-uh. My sweet, loving, newly well-behaved gelding knows instantly when I'm at a disadvantage, and he immediately tried to take advantage. Trimming was not his idea of a great Friday night, and he refused to stand for any of it.

Okay, we could try this in the morning, although it would mean getting up at 4 am, so I moved on. Bathing did not seem like the wisest thing to do with what was beginning to look like like two broken fingers, and he had just had a bath, so I went to get the vaccuum. Daylighht was fading, and in my pre-show tunnel vision, I forgot about the huge pile of gravel in my path. You know that old familiar feeling of falling in slow motion...knowing you're going to hit the ground in a way that so rudely reminds you that you are no long a kid? .Yikes, there went my other hand!

I would have bagged it right there, tired, hurting and cranky, but I didn't want to disappoint Keith, who would be showing Mingus. Keith loves to show, but he lacks the patience for any show prep. He firmly believes our boy looks great straight from the pasture, and leaves all the grooming to me! After vaccuuming my horse, Mingus was gleaming in the moonlight, and I was off to bed.

For once, I didn't oversleep, and jumped out of bed only to have Keith (who has to be up at 4am all week), tell me sheepishly that he was sorry, but he was too tired for this. There are other shows, and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of clipping in the pre-dawn, we decided that Mingus could stay home today.

Daryl had once again proven what an incredible friend he is by agreeing to trailer Scarlet to the show, and we all set off for Shayleen's. Scarlet loaded like it was nothing, but I worried about my baby being in the trailer alone, so I opted to ride (I know, it's illegal and dangerous) in the tack area where I could hopefully keep her safe and sound.

Isn't it amazing how well-paved, smooth roads suddenly become teeth-rattling, jolting, winding nightmares when you are riding in a horse trailer? Especially whhen you're holding on with two very sore hands? At least Scarlet did great!

Finally we were there, and I began getting Scarlet ready. Shhe gleamed in the morning sunlight, and her mane, tail and forelock had dried to a natural wave that would be the envy of any female, no matter the species. The barest application of product and a show halter that compplemented her beautifully, and she was ready to go.

Since Scarlet has only just come into our lives, I had not had the chance for any training or conditioning. I just hoped she would hold still, llet alone set up. We worked a bit, then headed into the arena for her very first class.

I was instantly impressed. She was completely focused on me, picked up quickly what I wanted, and stood awfully well for her first time. She wanted to prance instead of walk to the judge, but quickly agreed not to trot when I asked. She started well and improved with every class we entered. She began with 5th in 2 and under (this was an open show, so we were competing against full-sized horses), 4th in color mares, 2nd in pleasure type mares, and 2nd in the miniature class.

Once out of the arena, we visited with Shari, who had come with husband Robert and son Chris. I'm so happy to say that Shari is doing and looking great despite her recent injuries. For living so close, we don't get to visit often enough, so this was truly a treat. I'm looking forward to when they have their van outfitted as mini transport and she can show Theia!

I was thrilled with Scarlet's results, but even more with her attitude and aptitude...and most importantly, with her enjoyment of this new adventure. She is so alert, upheaded and showy, yet at the same time gentle and easy to work with. We have clicked. I so look forward to our future together and what she can do when I actually have time to work with her.

Now the challenge is mastering the nack of showing two horses. I am constantly amazed at those like Erica who show multiple horses. Fortunately, I'm blessed with two horses who love to show, and who really take very little work to have them look their best. But most important, Scarlet is such a sweet, loving girl, making her the perfect addition to our herd of love bunnies!

Here are a couple of photos of Cherry-Hill Scarlet Ribbons taken by Daryl (BigDogsLittleHorses) Shari has posted additional photos and a video on Pony Talk

100_1011SRinshow.jpg

100_1005scarlet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just love your little girl!!
default_wub.png
:

Kari

Will you have Scarlet and Mingus at ORSF and/or Central Point?? I want to meet her in person and see Mingus again (oh yeah, you and Keith too
default_wink.png
: ), and since it's looking like I won't be able to be part of the Beach Drive this year
default_sad.png
, shows are my only chance for "meets."

Kari

Oh Susanne....I loved reading about you & Scarlet's adventure! She is just LOVELY....You did a good job getting her ready.
default_yes.gif
: I hope you went home & told Mingus about all the fun he missed!
default_wink.png
:

:aktion033: What a great story, you had me laughing out loud :bgrin I love your Scarlett, if you decide you don't want her anymore send her on up to Canada :bgrin
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

Wow, congratulations!!!!
default_smile.png

I hope your fingers are better, soon.

Liz

:aktion033: Good Job Susanne and Miss Scarlett!!! :aktion033:

Very pretty filly.....she reminds me alot of my Baby Rose. I like the name Scarlett...it makes me want to talk with a southern accent.
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Miss Susanne I do declare that you and Miss Scarlett are as pretty as a picture......
default_thumbup.gif
: Keep up the good work! :aktion033:

Susanne she is just lovely! I'm glad you got to enjoy the show in spite of your injured digits! I'm sure we will see you around the upcoming shows...region 8??? :D Hope so!

Will you have Scarlet and Mingus at ORSF and/or Central Point?? I want to meet her in person and see Mingus again (oh yeah, you and Keith too
default_wink.png
: ), and since it's looking like I won't be able to be part of the Beach Drive this year
default_sad.png
, shows are my only chance for "meets."

Kari
Kari and ClickMini, we'll be at Area VIII and the Oregon State Fair and hopefully a few pinto shows in the area. Mingus will be at Evergreen, but it is AMHR only and Scarlet has to be older to be hardshipped. I don't know about Central Point, as that is a very long drive for us, but we'll see

Russ, I'm glad you didn't say "Frankly my dear, I don't give a d*mn! Hehe! I'm like you...saying her name makes me want a mint julep.

For everyone who asked, my fingers are doing much better, and when I remember to use my index and ring fingers, I can do all my usual farm chores! It's really hard, though, to open a can of pop!

Poor Susanne! So glad to hear your fingers are doing better. Scarlett is a gorgeous girl and I can see a certain resemblance between her and Mingus in the head...no wonder you like her! Can't wait to see you at Evergreen.

Leia

I'll start convincing Summer she MUST do ORSF, then. :bgrin

Glad you're doing ok with your hurt fingers and hope they're on the mend soon.

Kari

As ususal I reclused and didn't make it to the show. Actually I suffered my headache from the night before.

Spent the night looking at big horses with my daughter. Even went as far as Nehalem the beach was awesome. The sun setting over the Pacific with all the colors was a true sight to behold. But as luck would have it the next morning she found the horse of her choice right here in our community.

Scarlett is just beautiful. What a sweet wonderful little Filly. Susanne will do wonderful things with this

young little lady. Maybe I will make it to the county Fair if anyone is showing at that one.

Glad all went well at the show and that Susanne suffered no further injuries.

I expect to see this girl go all the way with Susanne's gentle hand and loving nature with her horses.

What a good outing you had with Ms Scarlett on your first time out.

She's so feminine looking........what a beauty.

So those fingers! Did you have them checked out, are they broken

or just very sore?!!

Take good care........

The horse is really super nice Susanne but I'm more worried about your hand and fingers at this moment!

I'm happy to say that my fingers are doing much better...still sore and a bit stiff, but a vast improvement. Fortunately the injured digits are on my right hand, and I'm left-handed (though rather ambidextrous). I had promised Keith that if I didn't see a lot of improvement after the weekend I'd see the doctor, but I now tend to suspect sprains rather than broken bones.

Thanks everyone for your comments on Scarlet! I only wish I could show what a sweet personality she has. I love my boys so much, but having this gentle, deerlike creature is amazing, and a wonderful addition to our horse family.

Edited to make up for my stuttering keyboard!

Latest posts

Back