Saturday Morning Sadness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonrockranch

Reaction score
Last night I checked our mare Fergies Silver Spirit before I came inside. She is very ticklish from mid-back on, so I was shocked that she let me raise her tail and actually got to check for color. She was a "rose" color, so I thought it would be soon, her bag was filling nicely. No way will she let me feel her udder. She will actually sit down to avoid being touched. However, she let her foal last year nurse with no problem. Guess I don't smell right.
default_smile.png
Anyway, the monitor and foal alert was on all night, we only have two left to go, or had two, anyway. Tthe alarm went off, again - about the 100th time last night! (Jade was up and down all night, Spirit stood up all night. )

I checked the camera and could see the baby's head and one leg. I literally jumped out of bed and flew through the house throwing on clothes.

We got the vet on the phone and he rushed to us. One of the baby's front legs was bent at an angle and wouldn't let Spirit deliver. I finally got the baby out and tried to revive it. The cord had not broken so I couldn't do much with the baby as far as moving it. I wasn't sure if I should try to break the cord, or let Spirit do it, she was trying - but having a hard time. She was clearly worn out, sweating heavily. The baby's heart was barely beating and no breathing at all. I did CPR as best I could and did chest compressions, but the little thing was so tired, he just gave up.

The vet checked him and said he was too big for Spirit to pass with the leg in the position it was in. Spirit is OK, but bruised pretty good. She was so good while we were trying to help her. I gave her some Banamine to help with the pain, and removed the baby while she tried to eat a little grain. He was a beautiful sorrel appy with a star and stripe. No blanket, but with the appy mottling around his nose, I think he would have added those spots we so love.

His sire was our Almost Heaven's Keep A Copy, who is only 28 1/2". Spirit is 30", so I sure didn't expect such a big baby. Spirit was over-due by my numbers, so the vet thought the little one just grew too much.

Oh, I did find that little grey-green thing that a lot of you spoke about last year, I can't remember what it is called. It was on the outside of the placenta, and no I didn't throw it on the rafters. I thought that would be bad luck since the little guy died.

Cheryl

So sorry for your loss.

Warm wishes and {{{hugs}}} to your grieving mare (and you).

So sad, so sad. :no:

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for the loss of your baby, you did the best you could. That thingy is called a hippomane.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. S glad your little mare is OK. The thing you are referring to is called the hippomane. I have not yet encountered a green one! Most all are brown, but I did find a whitish one last year.

Mona, you might be right - it may have been more brown than green. Maybe a greenish cast would have been a better explanation. It had a smooth texture and was a little shiny. First one I've seen.

Spirit is crying a little for the baby. I left the towels in the stall and she covered one up with some bedding, but she had been laying on and around them earlier. I'm sure she'll be fine. Thanks for the warm thoughts!

I'm sorry for your loss. Please let your mare know how much you love her...........

MA

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for your loss, please know my thoughts & prayers are with you and your precious mare at this difficult time.

Sorry for your loss, it's hard for your mare and for you. Sending hugs your way.........

I am so sorry for your loss - it is so sad when foalings go badly. Hugs and warm wishes to you and your mare.
default_wub.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious foal! I always feel so bad for the mares.

Hugs and prayers for you and Spirit!

I am sorry that you lost the foal - it is heartbreaking!

I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you and Spirit both tried so hard, hugs to you both!

Latest posts

Back