Saturday AMHA General Membership Meeting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think taking horses temp to perm at 3 yrs of age is a great idea and a great boost for the registry!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

It will bring in needed funds for AMHA and will help keep horses' paperwork up to date. A win - win situation!
default_yes.gif

Did anyone hear which site was selected for the 2011 Annual Meeting?

Yes, you are absolutely CORRECT! They said it is coming into effect 2009, and is a huge rule violation!
This was addressed in the meeting -guess you missed it. They are giving people an extra year - 2009 - to allow the membership to become aware and not be overwhewlmed with the cost of updating three years worth of horses ( 3yr oldes, 4 yr olds, 5 yr olds.) Win- win!!!

I even called Kristy, leaving a voice mail, as well as emailed her, and emailed Alison as well to pass the message along, asking for clarification and explanation on this, but it appears to have been ignored, so we'll now have to see what transpires as a result of this!
I am sure they will get back with you when they have a free minute- they were in a meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a great change. Takes AMHA back to it's original way of doing things. Once upon a time, AMHA did require all horses to be perm at 3 yrs. I was actually at the annual meeting that it got changed to 5 yrs.

Personally, it will make keeping up with my paperwork easier! AMHA & AMHR going perm at 3! Yea!

Viki

I had to leave during the discussion on the new Classic Division... Did it come up for a vote, and if so, what was the result?

Thanks

Well in the long run, it might make paperwork easier, and it might bring in more more money, but it is also going to bring in many more oversized horses to AMHA! Once thoe horses go permanent at 3 years and then continue to grow after that, there will be many more horses that will exceed the 34" and their papers will never be turned in, but I guess that won't matter, as long as it is bringing in more $$$.
default_no.gif

In my opinion, cheaters are going to cheat whether it's 3 years or 5 years. Honest breeders/owners will continue to be so.

Yes, you are absolutely CORRECT! They said it is coming into effect 2009, and is a huge rule violation!

This was addressed in the meeting -guess you missed it. They are giving people an extra year - 2009 - to allow the membership to become aware and not be overwhewlmed with the cost of updating three years worth of horses ( 3yr oldes, 4 yr olds, 5 yr olds.) Win- win!!!
No, actually I didn't miss it, but that "reasoning" does not dismiss the fact that it is still in violation of the rules.

I even called Kristy, leaving a voice mail, as well as emailed her, and emailed Alison as well to pass the message along, asking for clarification and explanation on this, but it appears to have been ignored, so we'll now have to see what transpires as a result of this!
I am sure they will get back with you when they have a free minute- they were in a meeting.
Again, yes, I am quite aware of that, however, they were taking comments from those watching.
default_smile.png

Does anybody know when the hardshipping gelding w/ lowered fees starts?

I am just so glad, I can now be hardshipping my gelding AMHA when this rule takes effect.

Well in the long run, it might make paperwork easier, and it might bring in more more money, but it is also going to bring in many more oversized horses to AMHA! Once thoe horses go permanent at 3 years and then continue to grow after that, there will be many more horses that will exceed the 34" and their papers will never be turned in, but I guess that won't matter, as long as it is bringing in more $$$.
Mona,

What makes you think that way? Why would you feel that AMHA is trying to bring in more oversized horses just because they brought the permanent papers to 3 years? I personally have never had a Miniature horse grow after 3 years old. Many stopped growing at 2 years.

Besides, AMHR has it that way and it was mentioned that it would just be easier to have it the same way as AMHR so that everyone can do all of the paperwork the same time. Also, AMHA was finding out that many of their registered horses were being lost and not permanented at 5 years old as too many people were forgetting to do it. So in that case, yes loss of revenue.

What organization would vote to not make more money to keep it afloat? After all, AMHA treats their exhibitors at the World show like gold. Expecially the Amateurs. With a free dinner, donuts and water at ringside as we wait to go into the ring.

They hire many police officers to protect us from any crime. Supply beautiful trophys, rosset ribbons and leather World Jackets for winning a World Championship. For Reserve they get a similar trophy only with a silver halo rather than gold and a rosset ribbon, plus all the other 8 places get placks and really nice ribbons for display at home. All of these special things cost money.

Frankly, I am more than happy for AMHA to continue to want to make money so that they can continue to treat us like gold at the shows, continue to promote the Miniature horse in the US and Overseas (sure helps with my sale of horses), and all of the other things that they are involved with to help improve our breed..

I will be hardshipping two of my ASPC / AMHR horses, Wall Street Illusion Jazz Singer (stallion) and Grahams Hula Girl At Heart (mare), into AMHA this year as both are 3 years old. I find this very exciting and am just tickled beyond belief to soon have 2 triple registered horses.

I also have a 2 year old AMHR filly who will now be hardshipped into AMHA next year when she turns 3.

I think this is a very smart move on AMHA's part to allow horses to be brought permanent and hardshipped in at 3 years of age.
default_aktion033.gif

What makes you think that way? Why would you feel that AMHA is trying to bring in more oversized horses just because they brought the permanent papers to 3 years? I personally have never had a Miniature horse grow after 3 years old. Many stopped growing at 2 years.
Please do not put words into my mouth. I did not say I think AMHA is trying to bring in oversized horses. I am merely saying that I feel that this is going to be the end result. Seems we (AMHA) has worked very hard throughout the years to keep the horses under 34", and I personally feel they have been somewhat more successful in doing so due to their having the permanent height measure at 5 years. I have seen MANY, MANY(MOST) of my horses grow beyond 3 years of age.

Besides, AMHR has it that way and it was mentioned that it would just be easier to have it the same way as AMHR so that everyone can do all of the paperwork the same time. Also, AMHA was finding out that many of their registered horses were being lost and not permanented at 5 years old as too many people were forgetting to do it. So in that case, yes loss of revenue.
Yes, I know AMHR does it that way, and since all of my horses are AMHR registered, I have seen that mos DO in fact grow taller after 3 years of age. I know it will bring in more needed money. I just feel it was brought in for that reason only($$$), and not in the best interest of the breed overall.

Frankly, I am more than happy for AMHA to continue to want to make money so that they can continue to treat us like gold at the shows, continue to promote the Miniature horse in the US and Overseas (sure helps with my sale of horses), and all of the other things that they are involved with to help improve our breed.
I AGREE with this wholeheartedly! Of course I want to see AMHA continue to make money and flourish, but I just hate to see it happen this way, that's all.

They said it is coming into effect 2009, and is a huge rule violation
If memory serves (which it sometimes doesn't these days!), seems like there can be an exception to that rule if - and I don't know the exact criteria - the association deems it in the best interest of the assn or maybe a financial emergency. Ring any bells?

I am curious about the timing, but I have no issue with bringing horses permanent at 3. Some expense initially, bringing everyone up to speed, but once that's done it will be easier to keep track of and I think will make very little difference in terms of horses going over. Can't say I've never had one grow after 3, but most miniatures seem to achieve their height by then.

Jan

Please do not put words into my mouth. I did not say I think AMHA is trying to bring in oversized horses. I am merely saying that I feel that this is going to be the end result. Seems we (AMHA) has worked very hard throughout the years to keep the horses under 34", and I personally feel they have been somewhat more successful in doing so due to their having the permanent height measure at 5 years. I have seen MANY, MANY(MOST) of my horses grow beyond 3 years of age.
My missunderstanding, I thought you felt that AMHA was doing this to make more money. Whether AMHA gives permenant papers at 3 years or 5 years, it really does not matter. If someone is going to say their horse is under 34" and it is really 36", they will say it whether it is 5 years old or 3 years old. How many horses do you see out there who are perm. registered 33 3/4" tall, You can gurantee that most of them are oversized.

For the honest ones who turn in their papers, I would imagine if their horse goes over at 5 years old, they are still going to turn in their papers.

I am one who belives that if the horse is registered as an AMHA horse, it should not loose its papers just because it is over. Still the same horse, still able to produce horses that are under. Back to the old argument, that if we are going to make this a breed by closing the books, then none of the horses should loose thier papers, they just can not be shown.

In the dog show world, a Tibetan Terrier has to be 14" to 16" for a bitch and 15" to 17" for a dog. Just because one may go over, does not mean it is no longer a Tibetan Terrier, it just means it can not be shown. One just has to be careful what one breeds the larger dog to. It should be the same in the Miniature AMHA horse World.

Frankly, in 10 years of having and breeding Miniatures, I have never had one grow after 3 years. I even bought one as a yearling that at 2 years old was 34". She is now 5 years old and still 34".

My missunderstanding, I thought you felt that AMHA was doing this to make more money. Whether AMHA gives permenant papers at 3 years or 5 years, it really does not matter. If someone is going to say their horse is under 34" and it is really 36", they will say it whether it is 5 years old or 3 years old. How many horses do you see out there who are perm. registered 33 3/4" tall, You can gurantee that most of them are oversized.
Well that part you did not misunderstand. That IS what I meant, (I don't have a problem with them wanting to make money, I just feel it was passed for all the wrong reasons, and that IS that it was done SOLEY to make money and not for the betterment of the breed and/or association overall.) but I did not mean that they were trying to bring in taller horses. I just meant I feel that it will result in that. I think since it has been 5 years as permanent, that many breeders have handed in the papers...made more people honest in the long run, and I fear it will have an opposite effect now. Yes, I know honest people will do what they want, just as dishonest will, but sorry, that is how I feel about this.

I am one who belives that if the horse is registered as an AMHA horse, it should not loose its papers just because it is over. Still the same horse, still able to produce horses that are under. Back to the old argument, that if we are going to make this a breed by closing the books, then none of the horses should loose thier papers, they just can not be shown.
I personally agree with this too.

Frankly, in 10 years of having and breeding Miniatures, I have never had one grow after 3 years. I even bought one as a yearling that at 2 years old was 34". She is now 5 years old and still 34".
I have had MANY.
default_yes.gif

Another exciting thing I see about taking horses perm at 3 will be that their heights will be listed on their foals papers. A mare having her first foal at 4 will have her permanent height on her foals' papers. Same with a stallion. Bred at two, going perm at 3 when his foals are born will have his permanent height on his foals' papers. I like that!

That's a great point Becky! One more benefit of this new change!

Viki

Latest posts

Back