Sad night for Total Eclipse Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss. I know only too well how you feel as we had a maiden lose a foal in exactly the same circumstances last year. rip baby.

So sorry about your loss.... I completely understand that feeling of hopelessness (is that a word?) and frustration. Sometimes you can resuscitate them, sometimes you can't - no matter what you try....

hug2.gif

Sandy I am so sorry for your loss and I know just what you are going through. You asked for more information.

Here is a link to our site which discusses our experience with the same problem and a link to [SIZE=12pt]Resuscitating Foals [/SIZE]

Resuscitating Foals

We keep this sheet in a laminated form in the foaling barn and read it frequently during foaling season. You never know when you will need it and it is best to be prepared. We also keep a canister of O2 in the barn along with a miniature horse mask should they need extra oxygen.

All you can do is your best and you did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to our site which discusses our experience with the same problem and a link to Resuscitating Foals

Resuscitating Foals

We keep this sheet in a laminated form in the foaling barn and read it frequently during foaling season. You never know when you will need it and it is best to be prepared. We also keep a canister of O2 in the barn along with a miniature horse mask should they need extra oxygen.

Thanks Joanne. Another vet friend suggested giving the foal glucose and/or atropine. I know with babies they check the blood sugar regularly as it can be low and cause problems. Did your vet give you an Rx for the Oxygen?? I don't think you can just get it that easily. I was surprised that they said not to hold the foal upside down. I've read(and been told by my vet) that swinging the foal upside down in a pendulum type movement helps get any secretions out and the diaphram moving back and forth helps them to breathe. We did try mouth to nostril breathing first and did see chest rise so it should have been affective. In the article it gives the foal that needs to be resuscitated only a 10% chance of survival. I'm glad you were able to get your colt back!
default_aktion033.gif

Here is a link to our site which discusses our experience with the same problem and a link to [SIZE=12pt]Resuscitating Foals [/SIZE]Resuscitating Foals

Thanks again Joanne good information for us.
default_wub.png

Sorry for your loss. We lost a filly a couple of years ago to something very similar. She tried for 30 minutes to breath but never got any into her lungs. We did a necropsy on her and found the flap of skin on her epiglotis was too big and blocked her airway. The vet said even if he had been right there and did surgery we would have still lost the filly. That's a really hard situation when you can't seem to do anything for them.

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about your handsome lil colt. You did what you could it just wasn't his time to run for us here.

Blessings and prayers for your pain.

Oh Sandy

I am so sorry you lost your foal...........but please don't beat yourself up over this, I know it's incredibly hard right now, but it sounds like you did all you could to save him.......just sorry it turned out this way. Poor Dream too........give her a hug for me, I am sure she is sad too.
default_sad.png

Sandy-

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for posting this, though, because all the information you provided is very helpful to know.

Peggy

PS I would also be interested in knowing about the 02 and where to get a mini 02 mask???

That's such a sad ending. The photo is really hard to look at. It's such a heart break.

xox Leonie xox

So sorry Sandy. Your little angel was beautiful and you tried so hard. I hope Dream gets past this and perks up soon.

So very sorry to hear this sad news. Foaling time came be such a wonderful event and then a most dreaded, heartbreaking time. Many of us are thinking of you! Lavonne

Your welcome Sandy.

The swinging around of the foal I think they have found causes more harm then good. I have heard of that too. I know that some foals (full sized as well as miniatures) have been hurt in the stall by hitting the stall walls with their heads during the swing (no I am not kidding, just think if how long the foal is stretched out and the size of the normal stall). I think it just wastes precious time. Karo surup has been suggested for slow foals as glucose. Most people have it in their homes. Hardest part is getting off that cap!
default_smile.png

I had a foal born normally a few years back that I was there from the water breaking on, and right after he was completely out he just stopped breathing. I had assisted in the birth and knew that I had him out alive in a quick amount of time and we had no distocia. He came out and faded on me.

I remember say " Oh No you don't!" and starting cpcr on him. He came back quickly in a minute or so. But we all know how long those minutes can be...

I do now have one of those plastic mechanical masks, though when I am right there I would tend to not waste the time to get it from the foaling kit, but start breathing on the foal. The O2 tank I got from a local medical supply with a stand and the mask is a small dog mask from a small animal veterinarian as the large animal ones are too small.

I would not think there would be any problems getting an O2 tank, but this may vary by state laws. You certainly would not want any one smoking in the barn if you had to use this.
default_wacko.png
Or anyone smoking in the barn ever! I am just thinking about a previous post this week.

We have used the oxygen on red bag births to give the foal a bit more oxygen and on dead on arrivals or like the one we had that faded after birthing. We do not do it long, but it has helped them go from limp, but breathing to fighting (something we are happy to see). Your veterinarians should be able to advise you on the O2 tanks proper use.

Sandy I am including this as you and your husband are knowledgeable people that I think have a thirst to know more.

I hope this is of help.

Despite everything said here, they do not all come back. It is so very sad. Just all were not meant to live despite our most heroic efforts. I truly understand what you are going through. I have been there myself.

One last thing I want to add is that I have always been surprised at how fast foals get cold. My policy here is that if I find a foal not breathing to just start cpcr. You will not do any harm, they are dead. You can only do good.

A stethescope is cheap and incredibly useful in a barn. Not only to check for a heatbeat, but to check gut sounds on horses.

Sorry this post is so long, but if one foal can survive because of it I am overjoyed.

Back