Rules Committe Meeting Minutes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I for one can comment on one thing.

I do transcription for a living. It would not be exorbitant to hire a transcriptionist to do this very thing, record and transcribe the minutes. Transcribers get about 0.07 cents a line (65-character line) and that would be less than a fortune I am sure. I am sure it is going to cost the AMHA in the long run MUCH more than a simple fee twice a year now. People will leave the AMHA, this rule is going to come up for a vote again, because there are so many outcrys here and if we change the paperwork for 1 year only to change it some other way in 2010, then where is the waste in money???????

JMHO. A few dollars spent in recording the proceedings properly would have gone a LONG way here to me. And a transcriptionist won't bankrupt the Association, believe me.

And just my opinion here-NO I don't trust the Directors and the people attending this meeting 100%- They had an agenda in mind a long time before they showed up and succeeded in accomplishing it. They knew how to slip it in the backdoor to get it done. And I think they are really surprised that we don't all roll over and play DEAD like in the past.

I really don't get a rat's tail WHERE we measure the horses. I do care that we make the change in a proper fashion and I just can't be convinced with all I have read and heard and seen that it was done that way. Flame away.

That's it exactly Suzie... I dont care where they measure either, but let's work out details and all the what if's before passing something as a 'great idea' when there are way too many questions out there in regards to how this will be handled. Pun intended when I say it appears the cart has been put before the horse.

How can folks be trusted, when the rules that are in place now cannot or will not even be enforced? It appears that to avoid confrontation then, just change the rules! When that doesnt work, change them again.

ENFORCE THE RULES IN PLACE is the problem, and the manner in which this came about APPEARS to the public to be a sneaky way of allowing those oversized ones being shown to just carry on without any backlash, and without any regards to the rest of the membership.

Just edited to note, it is NOT required that the exact verbiage in minutes ever be recorded. All minutes are a summary of meeting attendance, discussions, motions and what passed and what didnt. However a summary of ALL discussions at a meeting would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Suzie on this one.. Rather than punishing the people cheating to get their over sized horses

into the show ring... this By-Law is rewarding their efforts to cheat.. I don't even care if a B division is

implemented into the AMHA . As long as we all have a vote on any changes to the Standard.

Just follow the rules . Show in the right classes and don't cheat..
default_laugh.png

I would just like to say that I appreciate AMHA. I appreciate the work that the board does and the work that the various committees do. I believe in honest intentions. I know that I do not have time to work on the board or committee so I am not going to try and scare away those that do with any ridiculous accusations. I'd rather enjoy the association and my horse than get bitter about it because I don't like where I have to measure my horse. Letting a few taller horses in, or measuring my horse from a different spot isn't ruining the enjoyment I get out of my horse, and the positive experiences in showing and being involved in the association.

It sure was easier when the AMHA sent out the Minutes in the mail after every BOD meeting. I know the expense was huge, but maybe it's something that should be explored again. A separate mailing does get my attention.

I also preferred when the AMAH Newsletter was sent out as a separate mailing -- even as a separate email. I think it gets lost in the Horse World.

Good post, Matt.

I tend to agree with you.

Actually I never had a problem with measuring my horses at the last hair of the mane.

I have never been one to do something " because everyone else does it". I even remember MANY years ago learning from my parents when I was a little girl that that was not a good reason for doing anything! So when I hear how the rest of the horse world measures.......so we should too....... that is what it makes me think of. I remember my wonderful Irish father telling me ....."Dare to be different".

This is just my opinion and I appreciate being able to express it :)

Susan O.

I am so sad to see accusations made about AMHA which may not be true. I strongly believe everyone has their right to their opionions, but if things were changed, according to the rules, then isn't what is being said slanderous?? Please people, don't forget this is an association that can't always please everyone and the majority rules. We would never get to vote on everything here in the U.S. our Government changes or enacts.....we vote in our Senators, Congressmen etc. to represent us. A few years back there was about the same things here, going on with AMHR about letting every member vote. It sounded real good to me, at the time but the more I thought about it the more I realized that it was better left up to our directors to represent us and it was my job to let them know where I stood on an issue. There were members that even had a lawsuit against AMHR for not passing things correctly...was it valid or not, I don't know because I didn't take the time to keep up with it. I have heard over and over on these threads about members not keeping themselves up to date on matters, or not having time and it makes me believe they wouldn't take the time to read about issues the Associations are dealing with even though there is aleways time to be posting on this forum. Should we expect to be spoon fed information or should we take it upon ourselves to keep informed about things we should be informed about? I happen to believe that matters were handled appropriately but it is difficult to understand the whole process. I don't see the measuring at the bottom of the withers ever actually happening but on the other hand if it does take place it will probably be because enough people weren't intetrested in stopping it. Regardless, I really hate to see the association which many people truly support, be slandered. Ask the questions, state opinions but don't make false accusations, please. JMHO Mary

Ok, last attempt and then I give up. I will 'talk slow'

THE. PROPOSAL. TO. CLOSE. THE. REGISTRY. WAS. VOTED. ON. IN. JUNE.

THE. MINUTES. DO. NOT. AND. NEVER. HAVE. BEEN. DONE. TO. THAT. LEVEL. OF. DETAIL.

i'm done. don't know how else to say all was done legally and aboveboard. nothing secret. many witnesses.

the final vote by the membership and board WILL be in the minutes for the 2008 meeting. that's how it is.

period.

I just have one question. Has anyone called the AMHA and requested any information from the office.

The minutes from the conveniton will be up in about 3 weeks. They do have the entire meeting recorded on CDs.

Link has been fixed-

the February 2006 and June 2006 minutes have been pulled off the AMHA website. Sorry, but those minutes cannot be amended in any fashion now. It's too late.
I did call the AMHA and requested information and they were happy to give it to me.

Alison was kind enough to email this to me:

…call me crazy, but I went back to the June minutes and this is what it says about the closing of the registry…

#184, page 43 #753

Submitted by: Gordon Harris

184 REGISTRATION PROCEDURE

Applicant must complete, sign and submit proper AMHA registration application forms, with four color unaltered photographs (effective on a voluntary basis January 1, 1998 and required by June 1, 1998) of the horse taken in accordance with requirements on the form, to the Association’s Registrar. As of December 31, 1987, only the foals of previously registered sires and dams are eligible for registration, with the exception of those horses qualifying under the hardship clause. Amended 12-6-03, effective 01-04) Beginning January 1, 2009 2013 only offspring of two (2) AMHA registered horses shall be eligible for registration. The AMHA shall have the right to require parent qualification by DNA of any horse whose parentage is in question.

Delete the entire Hardship #193 section

The Rules & Regs Committee recommends sending to the membership, but has no

recommendation regarding the rule amendment.

Yes, Jody, the Registration Procedure is indeed in the minutes. I have made a Public Apology addressing that fact.

I have removed my comments from this topic so the issue is not further inflamed.

But the jury is still out on the Base of the Withers proposal.

Nikki Faubus

I saw that, and thank you for that.

No comment on the other, I am done.

Matt, I think you are missing the point. No one here is 'bitter' or not enjoying their horses. Nobody REALLY gives that much of a hoot about where they are measured from, though we all have voiced our opinions on it- that is really secondary.

The issue is that the CHEATING and ridiculous methods that are used, and have been used FOR YEARS to get horses to measure in and TOLERATED is basicly why a lot of folks are angry. And yes, the rule change will reward them for cheating because they still have papers on those oversized horses, whereas most other folks have turned theirs in. There have been NO stipulations or reward for the people who have been honest, only the few cheaters that are out there. It has created the 'illusion' that the honest folks have once again, been hung out to dry!!

The other issue that goes with this is that NOBODY seems to want to enforce the rule we already have, so what good does it do to change it? Nobody will enforce it either, as I personally am losing faith in folks. It gets to the point that nobody wants to file a complaint, because as we all know, that has had repercussions too! Fear and bullying, which is basicly what that boils down to, should not be allowed in the organization! WHEN is someone going to say STOP IT?

My personal opinion is that folks have had ENOUGH, and are speaking their mind on it. We will continue to enjoy our horses- that is not the issue at all. I guess some folks are 'movers and shakers' and some folks are content to just sit back and let happen what ever will happen and let the world pass by, regardless of what it brings.

I must share with you all, and for a bit of humor here, I have a small metal tray that hangs by my desk at work that says 'Well behaved women rarely make history'. The lady's face on it appears to be something from a 1950's magazine ad- perfectly groomed and smiling. I cracked up when I saw it because I have never been accused of being well behaved, but alas, will probably never make history either- but I found it quite amusing for some reason.

How many of you ladies need one of these??!! LOL

The members that do attend these meetings are very sharp and on top of things and would object quickly if something was done out of order. I personally witnessed the progression of the bylaw proposal that Gordon submitted and it did follow the process exactly. I would have no problem standing by Gordon and swearing to that. All i's were dotted and t's were crossed.
Hmm, I have never really checked AMHR to see what their minutes look like, I'll have to see what they have on their website.

you need to just give up and accept that those who WERE THERE know and swear that nothing wrong happened.
Once again - Jody deserves applause for dealing with IMO at times a lot of over the top misplaced venom and single-minded determination to make sure everyone knows that the AMHA is nothing but evil and up to underhanded things - all while turning their backs on similar issues (i.e. measuring and protocol) that have arisen with AMHR.

Jody - no matter how hard you try - some will always know better. Even if they weren't there - or have never attended a meeting anywhere, or cared enough to get involved in the past or whatever.... they will "know".

Tango also merits applause for discovering that she was wrong - and apologizing instead of continuing to heap manure on a wheelbarrow that is already overloaded with accusations, "facts" that aren't etc.

My personal opinion is that folks have had ENOUGH, and are speaking their mind on it. We will continue to enjoy our horses- that is not the issue at all. I guess some folks are 'movers and shakers' and some folks are content to just sit back and let happen what ever will happen and let the world pass by, regardless of what it brings.
If folks have truly had enough - then the entire picture needs to be addresssed as so many of the horses are registered in both registries. And many of the trainers/barns/amateurs/people having fun show in both - or at least belong to both. The cheating/bullying/whatever that so many are outraged at and demanding something is done about is not confined to one registry - not by any stretch of the imagination. So if one has their head stuck firmly in the sand and is continuing to assert that such issues are AMHA only.... well, it's time to pull that head outta there and lose that narrow focus IMHO. But what do I know...

Latest posts

Back