Ruby Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has taken our neighbors mare two full weeks to recover from an ordeal similar to this. She also had to be flushed two or three times, but didnt have the problems yours did with not passing the afterbirth, etc... like Ruby.

Hoping for continued improvement for your little Ruby... - keep giving her lots of love- I know you will.

Well Last night Ruby started acting a bit odd, Shes always been a roller you put fresh hay out and she has to roll in it before she eats it, shes done this since we got her at 4 months old. So we spent an hour walking her, took all food away tried putting molasses in her water to get her to drink more, but was not interested as she still hadnt pooped since 10:30am yesterday.. So I called Dr George, and we watched her all night on the cam, and when I went in the stall this morning shes was laying on her back. Shes still a little shaky from things, so I callled Dr. George back this morning and we decided it best to get Ruby up to the clinic. So I hauled A** to the local uhaul and we rented a van to get her up there. She did pass some poop in the van but not a heck of a lot.

Dr George thinks we may have under estimated her shock from this ordeal. So shes is going to be on iv fluids, be treated for colic and hes going to be doing blood work on her to check levels. Hes also going to check her to make sure things are closing up. He did say her heart beat was normal, no temp and she does have gut sounds which is good, but I feel so much better knowing shes going to get the best care being at command central.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was glad to hear she passed the placenta, Kris. That's a big step. On her back is a big warning sign so you did as I would- get her as fast as you can to the clinic. When the pain is severe they will do that- particularly foals. Mares will often have some abdominal discomfort and difficult elimination after foaling for a few days- sometimes up to a week. She's the best place she can be at the clinic so they can continue some IVs and directly medicate her as needed. Poor girl! I can sympathize as my daughters birth was not an easy one!!!

Keeping her in our thoughts!!!!

Tammie

If you need anything or anything I can do just call!

If she is laying on her back, consider ulcers.....hope all improves quickly.

Jan

Oh my goodness, after all she's been through... I sure hope she gets to feeling better SOON!! I agree with what "wildoak" said about considering ulcers. Rolling from ulcers is a different kind of roll than a colic and usually involves them on their back with the legs up. If she's at the clinic and does it, they'll probably recognize it and treat her with Gastroguard or something similar for ulcers, but you should mention the "on the back" roll to the vet if you hadn't already. I'm pulling for you Ruby, hang in there girl!!

Aww poor Ruby, I was so hoping her ordeal was over. Im glad shes at the clinic now and can be watched and help at a moments notice,

You have done good by her,

Just got off the phone, I did ask about possible ulcers they dont believe it is ulcers becase shes not on any meds other than the ones she just started taking on 3-19 BUT they are not ruling them out! They sent blood work out, and will have the results tomorrow morning. Shes being SO good! Shes got her IV fluids in and shes drinking lot more water now
default_smile.png
They said shes not trying to get the iv out, she just loves all the attention shes getting. I will update once we get the blood work back and have a better idea what we are fighting against.

Kris

Hang in there, Ruby! We are all pulling for you
default_smile.png

Glad she is doing better this am.

Peggy

[SIZE=12pt]Hoping for some good news. Ulcerguard or Gastroguard is a good idea - it sure won't hurt. I had a mare (I've since placed her) who we thought was colicing so we treated her for colic. Fortunately, my vet also put her on Ulcerguard as she turned out to have really bad ulcers.[/SIZE]

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbie

Sorry to hear about the setback, but sounds like she is doing better and is responding to the treatment. She may have just been in severe pain... Good sign she is drinking more too. Soaked beet pulp is easy to digest, high in fiber, will keep her innards moving and will help with fluid intake too, if you dont already feed it.

Poor girl, hope she has no more setbacks, and glad you got her in there quickly! Keep the posts coming!

I'm sorry she's had a set back. I'm praying that she's much better today and will be back home with you soon! Your Ruby sounds like a special gal.

[SIZE=12pt]Kris,[/SIZE]

Such great news
default_aktion033.gif
I'm so glad your little girl is on the mend
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I thought about her quite a bit on my days off.
default_yes.gif

Joy

When I wrote this I hadn't read the last posts about her up on her back. Glad she is improving now at the vets, she's still in my prayers,

Joy

I got a call from the vet around 9:30am, But I was half asleep because I hadnt slept much in the last few days. Dr George got the bloodwork report back and it came back possitive for infection. I dont exactly know what he was testing for. But she was given 3 bags of fluids, and is really doing great, shes POOPING! and eating drinking lots of water. no more rolling, (We couldnt tell if she was impacted, or just to sore from the whole ordeal to poop) Shes going to be there till tomorrow (Easter) or might come home Monday. They did not have to treat for colic, which is a good sign. But I feel so much better knowing shes in the right hands to get her better. I will have a better update in the AM and hopefully better news she can come home!

I've been following your post and I was so glad to hear that Ruby is doing better, I will be praying for her.

I had some issues with a mare here that had a bad dystocia a week and a half ago. I believe she was really, really sore and painful. Therefore, she wasn't drinking as much as she should which caused more pain when she tried to poop. Besides keeping her on Banamine, I syringed oil and water down her for a couple of days this week. I am happy to report that she is now eating, drinking and pooping normally!
default_smile.png
I bet your mare will do the same. It sounds like she is getting the best of care. Please keep us posted.

Poor Ruby, what an ordeal she's had. You are doing such a phenomenal job making sure she gets the best care, I'm sure she will be fully recovered in no time. Good for you, and "Go Ruby!"
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back