Rooster troubles, need advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, what a week it's been. First we had out-of-town company for a week. Then we found out that my 11 year old dwarf rabbit has arthritis in his hind area. Monday we rushed out 14 year old cat to the vet because her pupil was three times it's normal size. The day before we found a dead scorpion near the food dish, so we figured she might have been the one to kill it and got stung in the eye in the process. Sure enough, the vet said that it looks like she had a tiny deep puncture in her eye and now she has a blood clot over her retina. She is now on eye drops and Baytril, but there's no guarentee that her eye will ever go back to normal.
default_sad.png
Then we had a near colic episode with my gelding and had to montior and drive him around. He's still on watch, but I'm pretty sure that we're in the clear.

Ok, so back to Joey. I haven't had a chance to get any hens yet. I hope to do that this weekend. I truly believe the issue is his sister. When we go into the pen, she has to stand right at our feet (she will fly up on your shoulder if you don't watch her). Joey hates this and tries to chase her away from us - stomping, doing his one wing down dance, and pecking at her. If we reach down to pet her with him anywhere near, he gets upset and tries to scare us off by turning the dance at us. He has flogged my husband three times now (without spurs). He has not tried to flog me yet, in fact, when he hears me out in the yard he always calls to me. When I enter the pen, he will mostly ignore me as long as his sister is not near me. I have been picking him up (with gloves), and he will run off and sulk after I put him down. Most of the time, I can't pick him up because he tries to avoid me and will run from me if I approach him (knowing I'm going to pick him up).

He will not end up a chicken dinner, but darnit, he will end up in seclusion if getting more hens doesn't help.
default_whistling.gif

He will not end up a chicken dinner, but darnit, he will end up in seclusion if getting more hens doesn't help.
default_whistling.gif
LOL!! Actually I did this for a while with a mean roo! When he would attack and get me I would grab him and stick him in a large dog kennel(in the coop) while I did chores so I could get them done in peace. He'd get ya when your back was turned! I'd let him out when I was done. I was at my witts end with him hurting me and this worked! I could not kill him, he was my first roo "Slappy Roo". Now that I have had chicks awhile I feel alittle different, roos really are a dime a dozen..... but I completely understand the attachment!
default_yes.gif

I think you asked about feed? I feed Layer crumbles, cracked, ground, and whole corn, oats and wheat. I also go to the Wonder Bread outlet and by loaves of bread for a treat now and then. I hope that helps!

Sorry about all the stressy things going on! I hope your critters get better!

Hey Sara - I definitely do not have rooster advice, but am sorry to hear you've been having problems with all your fur-kids! Wishing everyone a speedy recovery!

Liz N.

Latest posts

Back