Rooster troubles, need advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Joey (rooster) and Pacey (hen) have just turned three months old a couple of days ago. About a week ago, Joey started trying to breed Pacey in the mornings. She runs from him scared to death, then he pins her against a corner. In the evenings, they seem to be best friends and he comes up to me wanting to be petted. I went into the coop this morning and when I reached down, he bit my hand. He then kind of stomped towards me like he was trying to scare me a couple of times.

I refuse to have a mean rooster. I don't care for roosters all that much anyway, but I have hand raised him since he was two days old and I love him. I want a safe alternative to what's going on. Right now, I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do. Two days ago, I went to our local feedstore to buy a couple of hens, but they don't carry chickens older then a month old. So I went online and found some local (30 minutes away) chickens for sale. If I add more 'older' hens, could that lessen his brattiness, or would his hormones go into overdrive? (Or should I stay out of the coop in the mornings when his hormones are raging?) Another option would be to build him his own little coop outside of our brand new 12'X16' one. It would be right next to his sister's, so they wouldn't be far apart. I'd hate to do that because I know he wouldn't be happy, but at this point, he's lucky I'm not making fried chicken for dinner.

Roosters can be challenging. I have a real nice Brahma roo right now that is breeding age and he's a bit rough on this one RIR hen I have that was raised with him from a couple of days old. THEN I have a Black Jersey Giant hen who tries to breed her too
default_oops.gif
default_doh.gif
someone is confused. So am keeping an eye out on them and if this continues will have to make some changes. A good older hen that is strong willed and can put him in his place could be good for him. They are creatures that use the pecking order in their daily lives and live day to day by that rule. Thats why if you have a weaker chicken that is getting picked on you should watch out for her.

You didn't say what breed you have but certain breeds can be more bossy than others. I've also found that some of the roosters that have claimed to be on the friendly side can have individual personalities that are not so. In all my years of breeding chickens, I've had to re-home a few roosters...and hens that were aggressive. I have family and friends that come over and can't afford to have attack roosters.

That little stomp Joey is doing towards you is his way of testing you until he decides its time to jump you. Be careful and watch your back. Many people say the best thing to do is when he comes at you pick him up and hold him for about 15 minutes. This tends to knock them down a peg or two....you showing your dominance and showing him you are bigger and mightier than he is. Be very careful with your face tho and how you handle him. If he's starting to physically push you and for some reason you are bent over to do something in his presence those feet and claws can do some pretty good damage. And don't do what I've done! Lol...if you have on shorts....be prepared to have some nasty cuts and bruises.

Ok...maybe a little more info than you needed. But here's a segment from The Backyard Chickens that talks about some of the things you can do. Good luck and watch your back.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/267149/rooster-stomping-at-me

My only roo(Mr. Ursela) is about 6-7 months old and he's a big boy. I pick him up everyday and carry him around as I do chicken chores. I also have my son(8) go out and pick them all up often as possable. We have had good and really bad roos! Some you just can't change, but give it a good try!

Sterling has given great advice! Everything said is right on from my few years of having chickens and my experience!

Good luck! And don't back down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you soo much for the advice. I spent about thirty minutes outside with them after work, and although he doesn't come up to me, and runs when I try to catch him now (this is a new behavior), he wasn't aggressive at all. I picked him up twice and held him for about five minutes each time, until he calmed down, then I put him back down. I believe it must have something to do with the morning time? You can hear four other roosters within a mile radius, so maybe his hormones are raging first thing in the morning. I can read his personality by watching his sister. If she is at his side, then I know he's calm and I probably won't have any issues with him. But at this point, with him getting older, that may change too.
default_sad.png

I actually have a fear of roosters, so his behavior this morning is definately not going over well. I'm sad to say that I didn't respond very well to it, and after he bit me and came towards me again, I smacked him with my flip flop and chased him around a bit. Then when he came towards me, I stomped my foot until he retreated. Afterwards I started worrying that getting physical would make him meaner. I don't want to make him meaner, but I don't want to show my fear or let him get by with anything. How do I stake my dominence when he's in a mood? If I reach for him, he's proven that he'll bite me. So I don't think I'm up for trying to pick him up. Why O why couldn't I have gotten two hens instead of a rooster???

I'm not really sure what breed they are, although I'm leaning towards Americaunas?

August 20, 2012 029.JPG

Wear gloves. If he is inclined to bite you wear work gloves when you go into the chicken run/coop. That way if he bites it will not hurt and you can carry on as advised with out worry.

If you only have the one hen I strongly suggest you get about 5 more or your lone hen will NOT be happy with all the attention this rooster wants to give her. She will end up with raw sides and no feathers on her head.

Oh, forgot to say that the coming at you with his little side dance, he is trying to dominate you. I had 7 roosters and had 3 of them during spring time jump up and try and spur me. I won, they didn't.

I will be getting at least two or three other hens as soon as possible. Should I get older ones, or ones close to the same age as the two I have?

I second the gloves! When he comes at you let him know that means snuggle time!(or at the least pick up time). Tuck him right under your arm and hold his feet with your gloved hand. That rooster fear is a tough one, your doing great! Gloves and pants!!!! Some of my girls will getcha if you reach for eggs, or have shiny nail polish on
default_thumbdown.gif
default_giveup.gif
! Chickens really are great and soooo fun to watch!

Not over 4yrs, their production slows after a while and then your just feeding a chick not giving you any eggs. Now don't get me wrong, I have MANY seniors and love those fiesty girls! LOL! But my choice would be 6 months to a year for a good starting point JMO!

I would introduce some older hens. This way they may be less likely to be submissive to him...."may" is the key word here....that all depends on the hen. But the younger ones are usually still feeling their way around things. Hold your ground, be consistant. This morning my big Brahma roo bit me too. It was feeding time and I was pushing him away and he reached out and plucked my finger. Thats ok...he got taken out of the feeding ring and I carried him around for a few minutes before letting him get back to his morning feeding. lol... It happens, especially with roosters.

When you bought him...did they tell you he was an Americauna? They are known for their muffs/beards, and the hens of course for laying greenish blue eggs. Your little fellow has super long legs whereas Ameraucanas legs are much shorter. You can see a few here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAmer.html

Yes...I agree with Jack's Thunder...(didn't see her post before I posted again). When you get your new girls don't get them too old. A year to two years would be a good starting point. You don't want an old biddy that has no oomph in her and then he may end up exhausting her.

I posted before but I guess it didn't make it...

Have you thought of calling your vet to make the rooster into a "capon"? They live 5-6 years so you could have a nice pet for a long time.

Soft, furry stuffed animals--NOT! We had a rooster one time when I was a kid who terrorized my life. I couldn't get 10 feet off the porch and he would hunt me down. He caught me out in the barn one time and my brother rescued me. HOWEVER, in his defense I think I brought it on myself by teasing him. I crowed like him, and teased him. He had no sense of humor. He sure taught me respect for roosters.

You've done a good job raising those two! They look great!

I raise chickens and from the pictures, he looks like a fighting cock or a mix...

Ya might not be able to make him nice as hes a aggressive rooster and 'IF' hes that breed, it runs in his blood.

sorry to hear your rooster is not playing nice. I always get rid of mean roos so not to harm hens, myself, company, or pass it onto the chicks.

Heres my 2 boys (black is sold)

They are mini cochin bantams

100_4912.jpg

100_4914.jpg

Thank you all for the replies. We've had company from out of town this past week, so it has been tough for me to get online. I appreciate your responses though. I'm kind of confused by his behavior, when I enter the pen he seems to want to avoid me. Which is completely ok, as long as he isn't planning a sneak attack. When I'm outside the pen, he will do that one wing dance towards my hen, but he doesn't try to breed her. He also doesn't want to share the food I toss down on the ground with her and will chase her away. So she happily goes to the food pan and eats all the goodies from it.

I hope to get some hens this weekend. And I will definately start wearing gloves when I have a little more time to spend in the pen (after my company leaves). Has anyone de-spurred their roosters? He currently doesn't have them grown in, but I'd like to know options should he get worse in the future. I don't know for sure what kind he is as he was two days old when I got them from a couple of students who said they saved them from a crow.

I was wondering if there are any good feeds out there that doesn't have a lot of sand-like pieces in it? Mine seem to eat the big corn pieces and leave behind the small grain untouched. It seems like a waste of food/money.

I had a bantam Cochin roo and he was the sweetness thing. My Americauna roo is always a gentleman with me. It was my many silkie Roos that fought amongst themselves and when I would intervene is when they decided to fight me, lol. They never hurt me but as someone else said, wear pants!

Since you really don't know his background and probably got him in S. Cal., he quite well might have escaped or been dumped from a cock fighting breeder. Unfortunately, cock fighting is still alive and well in this area. My friend had a rooster with unknown background a couple of years ago and was extremely dangerous. Obviously had a fighting background. I believe he went to a friend's home, where he is purely used as a 'guard cock' for their property. I heard he is pretty good at his job too!

Lizzie

Sounds as though your feed may be scratch. There are regular chicken feeds available; Walmart even carries them. Scratch does not have all the nutrients they need. Check the feedstore for Purina chicken feed. Yours are old enough for the lay crumbles. Some companies only offer lay pellets, but I think those are too large for young birds. Crumbles are better. Scratch is good for a treat!

I asked a local vet if he had castrated roosters before and he said "yes". So, that might be an option for you. I would never turn my back on that rooster; the more docile he looks the sneakier his mind is working.

Remember, you don't need a rooster to get eggs.

LOL, my only suggestions was to heat a large pot of boiling water.................

Chickens, including roosters, can be every bit as much pets as dogs or cats, especially when you've raised them from chickhood. I could no more eat my chickens than I could eat any of my other pets, so I understand your predicament.

You do have to keep in mind that a rooster attacking you with dirty spurs can cause a terrible infection, so be careful. Can you divide your run and separate the hen from the rooster so that they can be next to one another, but he cannot attack her? There are a number of feeding and watering systems that would allow you to care for him without going in when he's in a nasty mood.

Latest posts

Back