Roman Chariots?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mulligans Run

Reaction score
I see that the program listing for the AMHR Nationals lists Roman Chariots. We never have that class locally, but I can't wait to see it. When I first started driving my husband told me that I needed to get a Chariot. Where in the world would you find one? Obviously there are classes for this held somewhere in the US.....where have you seen them and does anyone have any photos?

Do the drivers wear Togas?
rolleyes.gif

Oh this class looks SO fun!! Last year at the Blackfoot, Idaho show, there were two entries in the Chariot class, and to see two teams of well-matched horses RACING around the arena at a gallop-- gives you goosebumps! Yes the drivers usually dress up in some kind of costume. I hope there will be more entries at nationals this year-- last year there was just one. Multiple entries makes it so much more exciting.
biggrin.gif

I know that I took some pictures at Nationals, I'll try and find them. I know Dale sells them. I have a link on my website to his place. I'll see if I can find them pictures and post them.

http://dsharness.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to All,

My dad, Jacky Davis and Dale Lutke are the first two Chariot drivers, then Janet Talton added her entry. Dad won't be at Mini Nationals this year do to a new job.

Mom makes all of his costumes. From his breast plate to his helmet. He does wear a toga with matching shorts underneath along with his cape and sandels. He drove a match pair of silver greys in the team class and a single grey in the single class.

This class was re-introduced back at the 2000 Convention. It's having a hard time taking off like dad and Dale had hoped as a lot of clubs don't put them in their class list or a lot of people are just not that interested. Dad has a lot of fun when he gets to drive.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

I think it's amazing that there ACTUALLY is a class for this. We laughed about it when my husband mentioned it, but to think that there actually is a class for it just blows my mind. I hope that there are entries and that we get to see it. I've flagged the classes in my booklet and I plan to be there for them.

Thanks so much for this information....amazing!!
smile.gif

I grew up in Wyoming, where they had chariot races (or "cutter races" as they called them) with BIG horses. These were quarterhorse racehorses, born and bred to race, and in the winter they race in chariot SLEDS. Incredible to watch. I'd like to encourage people to do get into this too. Imagine having a chariot in a parade!

One thing I'd like to know is-- with the chariots, can a team pole and a single horse hitch be interchangeable on a chariot, or do you need two different chariots for this?

and wouldn't it be cool to have chariot races with MINIS?
biggrin.gif

Hi Magic,

The poles are interchangable.

Dad has about $2000 tied up in his chariot, from the two sets of poles (for single/double) the wooden wheels, his bucket (the acutual chariot) with the paint job and rhino liner that was blown in for added traction for this feet.

This cost doesn't include his costume nor his horses.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

Heya Magic,

Some of our club members chariot (cutter) race their minis over in Twin Falls Idaho. They took their teams to the worlds this year. They did an exhibit in Salt Lake for the Olympics. My husband would love to cutter race with ours but I said No Way. We use to cutter race big horses years ago and I know how it is. I told him he could do the roman chariot class but he doesn't have the legs for it.
biggrin.gif

Tammi

My husband did both a single chariot & a team chariot class at the Midland show in Michigan in June this year.

There is only a class for a single chariot at the Nationals-- we were so disappointed as WE think the team is nicer. So, after getting 2 horses trained & coginezed for Michigan-- now we can only take one to the Nationals-- at least that is what is in the entry book -- and now th entries are sent in so could not add the other horse anyway.

Our chariot is red & white-- I don't know what kind of costume to have-- so would appreciate pictures of that Jackie if you read this.

email is [email protected]

Thanks

Amy said:
My husband did both a single chariot & a team chariot class at the Midland show in Michigan in June this year. There is only a class for  a single chariot at the Nationals-- we were so disappointed as WE think the team is nicer. So, after getting 2 horses trained & coginezed for Michigan-- now we can only take one to the Nationals-- at least that is what is in the entry book -- and now th entries are sent in so could not add the other horse anyway.

Our chariot is red & white-- I don't know what kind of costume to have-- so would appreciate pictures of that Jackie if you  read this.

email is [email protected]

Thanks

434562[/snapback]

Yes and he put on a real "Great" show there.
yes.gif
yes.gif
aktion033.gif

I could totally get into this! Wow! Charlton Heston/Ben Hur, yea buddy! This is for me. I think I have finally found my life long calling. Gimmee a chariot and a team and haul butt around the ring, that's for me (who can't drive), but I'd be one heck of a Cleopatra on that thing.
wacko.gif

Hi Amy,

I'll get mom to send me some of dad's pics and I'll email those to you.

Karen

Thanks Farmhand-- he sure had fun. He thinks maybe he is crazy hauling it all the wat to Oklahoma-- but if you don't show in it -- why have it eh?? By the way, he loves it & he loves to drive.!!

Thanks Karen S-- I sure will appreciate that-- if I get them in time my daughter will make him a costume. Thanks again -- see you at the Nationals.

Latest posts

Back