Roan stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Off the grey topic...

I read that some of you would'nt mind a roan mare but would'nt want a roan stallion.

One answer was because they wash out color.

Is that 100% true for all of the foals the roan stallion would produce no matter the color of the mare?

I only ask cause Im a bit confussed cause I own a roan stallion who I use as a main herd sire. Matter of fact, he is a smutty buckskin roan.

The mares I bred him to are bay, buckskin, bay roan, and silver dapple. Now the only 2 mares who ever had a foal from him was my bay roan and buckskin. The other 2 mares are bred to him for 2012. My bay roan has produced a bucksin roan filly and a bay roan filly. The bucksin produced a perlino filly.

What confusses me is that before I owned him, he had produced 9 foals for the previous owner and not all of the foals are roan. I dont believe any of his foals where roan till I owned him and bred him to a roan mare. Now I only have foal pics of all of his past foals and the 9 where... 3 palominos, 2 silver bays, 2 bucksins, 1 buckskin pinto, and 1 bay.

Now Im not sure if he's a true roan, BUT his sire King Supreme was roan and to look at my boy Sentra, he is clearly a roan.

So if a roan stallion would wash out color, how come I have not seen my roan stallion do so?

I only ask cause I love the roan pattern and like producing it, but dont know much about it. I just know that a lot of folks in minis dont really like it BUT in quarter horses, they love them.

Below is a pic of my boy Sentra.

DSC02915_cropped_6x4_sm.jpg

000_0005.jpg

DSC03004_cropped_4x6_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "wash out color" refers to the white, paler body that roans often get. Obviously it's not as much as a horse that greys out... but a lot of people like really rich colors.

I think blue roans (roan on black) are very flashy... but maybe not as much on a lighter colored horse such as palomino or chestnut or buckskin, where a rich body color (such as golden) is desired.

Your guy sure does look like a true roan to me.

I think when it comes to color, it's all about personal preference.

Andrea

Great thread
aktion033.gif
I nearly bought a blue roan stallion this year, whilst he was here on trial he covered my bay varnish appy,

I am very curious to see what colour foal I get. My blue roan mare has only every given me black foals with my black and white pinto stallion.

Was that Komokos Little King Supreme MindyLee? While I'm not a fan of red roan, I have in the last year or so, become a huge fan of black and bay roans. Your lovely boy looks certainly to be roan. I think the lovely thing about Minis, is that there really is a colour for every taste. Roans though, like many other colours in the breed, can look very different when shaved or sporting a winter coat. Enjoy your boy.

Lizzie

So true Lizzie, every season my blue roan mare looks like a new horse
biggrin.gif

One of my stallions is roan (actually he is roan and also frame/splash/sabino). I have a couple roan mares also, I love roans and did have more roan mares in the past. In general, I would prefer not to have a true roan appaloosa, or a roan with a cream gene-as someone said, it does wash them out, and the appaloosas with true roan (versus the roaning from the appaloosa gene) usually arent as loud as a non roan appaloosa. Guess it just depends on each person's preference on what they like!

Yes. Color is personal preference. And we all know a good horse is never a bad color
default_smile.png

With a roan stallion there is a 50/50 chance that each of his foals will be roan. Some people say that 50% of the foals by that stallion will be roan, but in truth it may not work out that way. It probably isn't going to happen that 2 out of 4 foals sired by him this year will be roan--if he had 4 foals on the ground this year it could be that all 4 are roan, or it could be than none are roan, or possibly 1, 2 or even 3 of them will be roan. You could get 10 in a row that aren't roan. It doesn't matter what color the mare is--mare color may affect the color possibilities of the foal, but it won't affect the roan gene the stallion may or may not pass on. Obviously if the mare is a roan it increases your chances of getting a roan foal.

So, when people say they don't want a roan stallion because roan washes out color in the foals, that is only in those foals that are actually roan. If the foal isn't roan then obviously it's coloring is not affected by the roan gene.

The way things work, it is most likely that if you want roan coloring you will get fewer foals that have it, and if you were someone that didn't want it then your roan stallion would pass it on 90% of the time!
default_laugh.png

I used to have a roan stallion - loved him and loved his foals -- Sold him as he was 35" but still miss those roan foals... And not all of his foals were roan
default_smile.png

I think roans are just like any other pattern (pinto, appy, etc.) people either really like them or they don't.

Your boy is very pretty!

I don't have a roan breeding stallion, but I do have a roan in my broodmare band and LOVE her! She's a silver bay roan:

47518_423648489612_224524494612_4900911_1517852_n.jpg

I bred her to Doc, my black pinto, and got a handsome silver bay roan solid colt this year:

Newborn:

247639_10150192598194613_224524494612_6934195_3574789_n.jpg

1 month:

261410_10150231614434613_224524494612_7271022_6858581_n.jpg

3 months:

294239_10150279296744613_224524494612_7723355_398132_n.jpg

I think this little guy is soooo neat!! If he's still here come springtime I'm going to get him out and show him..

I bred the mare back and have my fingers crossed for a black roan filly! (pinto would be nice!)

I LOVE roans, but they don't work well with my appaloosas. I would really like a blue roan mare sometime-it's one of my favorite colors.

I love roans too.

I crossed my red pinto mare with a Buckskin Roan stallion ,,,, and while hoping for a blue or bay roan.......We got

(lab tested) Palomino pinto that carries agouti and silver ! I don't think he is roan But I Love him
default_smile.png

Dam (Flying W Farms Blue Boys Magic Man Sire Aloha Acres Amir Or I C (Prince son)

Introducing ........... MiniEquine Amir's Phoenix

amiroric.jpg

_DSC7840 1 mo web.jpg

_DSC7789 1 month web.jpg

_DSC8043 1 mo web.jpg

Phoenix Oct 11 2011.jpg

How handsome. I love roans and roaning, and don't see the problem with it whatsoever.

Your guy is AWESOME! LOVE the color! I do like roans and wouldn't mind having a roan stallion.

We have a mare we weren't quite sure what color she really was. KNOW she's buckskin, but what else is hiding in there:

misty2_1.jpg

Her sire is a true blue roan pinto who carries cream and dam was a palomino.

Then this year she foaled her:

Lizclipped.jpg

So, we found out Misty does carry roan, as Lizzie's sire is a solid chestnut!

With a roan stallion there is a 50/50 chance that each of his foals will be roan. Some people say that 50% of the foals by that stallion will be roan, but in truth it may not work out that way. It probably isn't going to happen that 2 out of 4 foals sired by him this year will be roan--if he had 4 foals on the ground this year it could be that all 4 are roan, or it could be than none are roan, or possibly 1, 2 or even 3 of them will be roan. You could get 10 in a row that aren't roan. It doesn't matter what color the mare is--mare color may affect the color possibilities of the foal, but it won't affect the roan gene the stallion may or may not pass on. Obviously if the mare is a roan it increases your chances of getting a roan foal.

So, when people say they don't want a roan stallion because roan washes out color in the foals, that is only in those foals that are actually roan. If the foal isn't roan then obviously it's coloring is not affected by the roan gene.

The way things work, it is most likely that if you want roan coloring you will get fewer foals that have it, and if you were someone that didn't want it then your roan stallion would pass it on 90% of the time!
default_laugh.png

Thanks for this answer. It has helped on clearing up the foal outlook on what my boy can/has produced. I guess I was stumped cause hes a roan and out of 12 foals total, 9 previous and 3 by me, only 2 have been roan and I had both. I do have pics of all of his pervious foals and 2 could possibly became roan as thir baby fuzz shed out. But I dont think I'll ever know for sure.

Was that Komokos Little King Supreme MindyLee? While I'm not a fan of red roan, I have in the last year or so, become a huge fan of black and bay roans. Your lovely boy looks certainly to be roan. I think the lovely thing about Minis, is that there really is a colour for every taste. Roans though, like many other colours in the breed, can look very different when shaved or sporting a winter coat. Enjoy your boy.

Lizzie

Yes his sire is Komokos Little King Supreme, actually my Sentra is a double bred son of his.

[/b]Was that Komokos Little King Supreme MindyLee? While I'm not a fan of red roan, I have in the last year or so, become a huge fan of black and bay roans. Your lovely boy looks certainly to be roan. I think the lovely thing about Minis, is that there really is a colour for every taste. Roans though, like many other colours in the breed, can look very different when shaved or sporting a winter coat. Enjoy your boy.

Lizzie

Yes his sire is Komokos Little King Supreme, actually my Sentra is a double bred son of his.
The mare I posted above is also double bred Komokos Little King Supreme (grand-daughter on top, great-grand-daughter on bottom)..

Here is a great website for info about blue roan genetics http://www.grullablue.com/colors/roangenetics.htm

My stallion is a blue roan. So far his only two offspring are carbon copies of him. One is out of a broodmare who is a blue-eyed bay. The other is out of a blue-eyed gray overo.

I have a question.

Why does it matter which gender is roan or grey?! Both genders pass on each color the same so it shouldn't matter. Color shouldn't matter what so ever.

I had told my mom that if I were to ever breed again that I'd look for a grey because it would mask what ever my mare would add to the equation (because I have a palomino filly for example)

The reason I would be OK with a Grey or a Roan mare (I have a Black Dun Roan mare at present) and not OK with a stallion the same colour is simple. A mare only has one foal each year, a stallion can sire 50, so although I am OK with one foal being Roan I am NOT OK with all my foals being Roan, which, of course, can happen.

A few years ago I had a Palomino base near Leopard stallion- I am not sure whether it was the way the wind was blowing or just bad luck but I ended up with a whole field full of Chestnut foals!

At least with a Silver Bay Pinto hiding Lp, I have a good chance of varied results....

Oh, and I would not have a Chestnut stallion either, sorry!

Back