Ringworm on cats and dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTheMini

Reaction score
I have ringworm (ewww) and I don't know how or when I got it. It is hidden on the back of my arm and I think I may have had it for a while (maybe 2 weeks) before I realized it was ringworm, so there is a possibility that they would have caught it. I am most concerned about our cat. He itches himself a lot, but he always has, and he has long hair. Would they loose their hair? The dogs both have short hair and are not itching anywhere so I doubt they have it. The cat has me a little worried. He is an indoor/outdoor cat so he could have brought it in. So basically what would be the signs of ringworm in a cat? Thanks! L

Yes they lose the hair and get a small bald spot where the ringworm is, but you can be pretty much assured if you have it one or both of them do as well.

I have had ringworm SEVERAL times before :new_shocked: . I worked at a vets office and well.......you know the rest. So, I would say, you probably got it from someone or some other animal in your travels. You can pass it to the pets, I would definatley have your vet check them. I know it feels creepy, but remember, it is just a fungus. Not a real worm. that was the killer for me the first time I got it........it was hard for me to get that I wasnt infested by worms in my skin, lol. Good luck,

Alicia

cats can carry ring worm without you seeing anything on them. My kids have gotten ring worm this way several times...Not sure about dogs. Good luck!

I am dealing with ringworm right now. Came in with a horse. Dog got it on her and that is how we really found it.

What was bad about the horse is yes he got a bald spot and that was the first suspicion but when I actually clipped him down around the spot it was much larger than the bald spot. So I felt terrible that I did not find it right away as it would have gone away much quicker.

Very contagious and not likely that just you have it.

I used listerine and generic Lotrimin. Worked real quick on the dog but still dealing with it on the horse.

Thanks! I have been keeping an eye on the dogs and they both seem to be fine. The cat may have it. I will have to do a very detailed check of him. I have had it before and we also could not find how I got it then. I was also worried about the horses. Magic had very long hair and I don't want to have to clip him, but I also don't want him to have it. I will watch closely for lost hair. Now its time to violate the cat...he prefers to be pet on his schedule and I'm sure checking for ringworm isn't on his schedule...typical cat! Thanks again! L

Latest posts

Back