Ring / Nail Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a horse where the ring has really big movement but the mare isn't really bred? I had this mare ultra sounded and was told she wasn't bred but when I did the ring test, I had huge circles. I'm anxious to hear everyone's thoughts.

You know, now that I think about it...I've only recently done the nail test on mares that I could not preg check otherwise. I haven't recently tried both. In the past, I have tried the nail test on mares I knew were bred or open, and had mostly accurate results (that is the ring test confirmed the blood tests). However, this upcoming foaling season, I just used pregnamares and wee foals. I wonder if there is some subconscious sense that has persuaded or slighted my results. I have a few open mares that ill test tomorrow and post the results. Interesting topic.

I can't wait to hear your results amysue! I did check my mares that were never exposed to my stallion and the ring was perfectly still, and like you I wondered if somehow I was influencing the results. If it wasn't so cold, I'd sit out there and just watch her for hours to see if I see any movement. I may get the Wee Foal 120 kit but have heard mixed reviews on the accuracy of that. Anyway, I look forward to hearing what your results are. ?

I have had movement on mares that were open, as a matter of fact. One of our geldings was due to have a filly a couple years ago....lol

maybe I willed it subconciously as I tried him for fun.

But always nail movement on mares that do end up bred

I did have a mare change from colt to filly mid pregnancy and she did have a filly

It's a fun way to pass the time for all those months waiting

Some people do swear by it, as far as telling a mare is in foal , not as much for gender

I've never had it move on an open mare, and have always moved in one direction or the other on a bred mare..

I've used the WeeFoal tests with good success with the late test.. I did use the early test this year and will NOT buy them again, tested two mares and both came up open with the early test, guess what, both are in foal (one confirmed with a late test and the other by foal movement)

Casey0Lee... It's basically using a horse as an Ouija board to see if they are bred, or the gender of a foal , etc

I have always had a reaction with an in foal mare - sometimes a bit vague as to the sex, but with the fillies the circle has ranged from small to large. A couple of years ago I had an open mare where the test held steady but the string wouldn't stop 'shrivering' - caused us some interesting discussions!

Casey - attach a ring or nail to a piece of thread (approx 12" long) and hold it over a mare's back/hip area and wait to see if it swings - a circlular movement is supposed to mean a filly foal, back and forth along the spine is a colt foal. Just make sure you have no wind blowing if you try this outside!

I have always had a reaction with an in foal mare - sometimes a bit vague as to the sex, but with the fillies the circle has ranged from small to large. A couple of years ago I had an open mare where the test held steady but the string wouldn't stop 'shrivering' - caused us some interesting discussions!

Casey - attach a ring or nail to a piece of thread (approx 12" long) and hold it over a mare's back/hip area and wait to see if it swings - a circlular movement is supposed to mean a filly foal, back and forth along the spine is a colt foal. Just make sure you have no wind blowing if you try this outside!
I have never heard this in my life LOL I'll have to go try it on my mare.

Okay...my mini mares nail test resulted as follows: the nail moved on Gypsy in a circle. Whiskey moved back and forth, snowy moved in a circle, velvet moved side to side and rosie side to side. Shetlands: Lollipop moved in a circle, pokey back and forth and janey back and forth. All of these mares tested positive with wee foal or pregnamare. I tested my guaranteed open mares, Ashley, Denali, Nelly and jennys; sophia and juliana and they showed no movement. It took FOREVER to test as it was 5º below today and my hands were cold, even with a hand warmer....so I tried the test two ways, once with me holding the thread and again with the thread tied to a nail in the rafters with the horse standing square underneath. I did it inside so as to avoid wind. Ill keep everyone posted as soon as foals arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like finding water (water sac around the foal?) I used to use dowsing rods on my mares and they worked 100% for me! Have not done that in many years though. Too windy here to do the ring/nail test.

Wow!! That's so exciting amysue! Thank you so much for running the tests and sharing!! I really appreciate it and it gives me hope that this mare is bred. Thanks again!! ?

REO-- That's interesting. Where can you even buy dowsing rods?

Amysue, that's very interesting! I've never had it go side to side before! Wonder what that means? I've been doing it ever since I've minis (almost 20 years), and it's been 99% acurate for me. Only missed twice, and both times it said colt and they had fillies. If you're gonna be wrong, that's the way to do it!
default_thumbup.gif

SampleMM, I've always just used wire coat hangers for dowsing rods. Cut the hook off, straighten the wire and cut it in two, then bend a small section down to hold, with the long section pointing straight out. When you hit water, the wires will cross.

Just use a nail? Like... a nail that you would nail a board with? And regular sweing thread?

I used just a regular nail (I think I had a 6 penny nail available) and the string off the top of the feed bag. I don't know how accurate it is, but its fun to try. The year I bred 3 of my mares, they were the only ones the nail moved for; but other years its moved with the geldings too, so I don't know.

Well I did the nail test tonight on all my mares. It came out as follows!

Sugar - no movement (did not bred)

Lilly (rescue donkey had access to a jack) - circles

Daisy (rescue donkey had access to a jack) - side to side

Mabes - big circles (did not bred)

Smiles (rescue mare) - no movement

Diamond (Bred by previous owner ) - circles (bought her with a filly on her side In the spring)

Ellie (bred by previous owner) - no movement

I didn't bred anyone this year but there was a stallion on the property until June in a separate turnout.

So far only one reading was accurate. Snowy moved in a circle, but had a colt, as did Gypsy but Whiskey had a colt as predicted and Janey did not foal although she showed movement and tested positive on a wee foal. Pokey predicted a colt and had a filly. We'll see what the other mares produce as the season progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok im a little surprised ill admit. It moved from hip to hip, quite noticeably. I spun the ring in a circle to see how it would effect it and it did about three circles and then started swaying side to side again. It didn't move on my gelding.

Latest posts

Back