Riding problem with a big horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but I'd like to ask you for you're opinion what you would do in this case.

It's about a friend of mine and her horse.

it all started about a year ago when she was riding her horse in de riding penn. The horse got spooked by a cat in the bushes and started running. While he was running he tripped/slipped or something and they both fell. The horse got lame on his hind leg and my friend broke her enckle, so she wasn't able to get back on the horse at once.

When both recovered she started lunging him, and he was just fine. This was about eight weeks after the fall. So she got on the horse again, and the completely freaked out. He just started running without any control. In fact, he just runs into the fence and fell over it (didn't jump!). Fortunatly he only had a few scratches....

But now the problem.

The horse is very good te handle in hand and on the lunge. He can be lunged with a saddle on it. They tried a dummy rider (a sweater stuffed with hay tied to the saddle) and he freaked out again. Just startst running untill he is exhausted.

fact: The horse is scared to death when someone is on his back.

When there isn't someone on his back he is just fine.....

My friend want's to get proffesion help, but isn't sure where to look, what kind of training or anything....

So any help/advice can be usefull

I am wondering if he is wearing all his tack when being round penned? Could it be the saddle or other equipment is causing pain somewhere and that is what is making him act this way?

I used to work with arabian horses. One gelding that had been shown for many years suddenly started rearing up and flipping over. When worked in the round pen, even in full tack, he never caused any problem but as soon as a rider got on he went crazy sometimes falling to the ground, sometimes flipping. Further examination showed he had arthritis in his back which was causing pain even under a light load.

Another young filly we were starting was working great on the lunge, great with a rider while led but as soon as the rider picked up the reins she would get very anxious and often rear or spin. She had a very light rubber snaffle with no cavason and a western type saddle. After a few episodes she was also examined by a vet. He found she had hooks on her teeth that were catching on the rubber bit. Switched to a regular stainless bit all her bad behaviors disappeared.

It might not be the bad experiance that is the problem, I think your friends horse needs a very detailed veterinary exam to see if there is a physical reason he can not tolerate a rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tnx for your reply stormy.

The horse is completly checkt by a vet. She also bought him a new saddle because the old one was dammaged with the first fall.

You can see it in the horses eyes. The moment you put your feet in the stirrup his look changes. He has no problem during saddling or putting the briddle on. His teeth are also ok, he went to the dentist for yearly control last february.

Due to his reaction the first time after the fall she had him checked by a fysio therapist (??) and he couldn't find any problems.

He can be lunged with full take without any problems. She has recently started groundwork (parelli, level 1) and he seems to like the change of work, but still, as soon as he thinks you are getting on his back, he freakes out

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend may have to go back to step 1 and basically start all over like starting with an untrained horse, until he is over his fear. It may take quite some time, so a professional trainer may be necessary. Or, just lots of time and patience.

I would do the same, and not rush the horse into anything. Perhaps in a controlled situation, just get on the horse and not ask it to even move. Keep in a CONFINED safe area where the horse cannot bolt and get really running to attempt to jump a fence or whatever.... a smaller area than an arena! Maybe a round pen of some sort.

Maybe start by not even getting on, just getting half on and off about a million times. Pet the horse, encourage him and tell him what a good boy he is. After a few days and this is totally boring to the horse- go a bit further, and swing on and just sit there. Do that for a few days.

I will say though, that only an experience rider with quick reflexes should be working with this horse at this point. We had one we had to work through the same type of thing - being abused by two different trainers TWICE. We spent about three hours one day, after longing, etc.. for weeks, just trying to get on. The horse would simple explode and go straight in the air. You have to be watching and ready to step off QUICKLY and keep your footing the second the horse is going to blow up. Every time the horse blew up, we did not punish her, we put her back on the longe line for just a few minutes, then tried again. After about 3 1/2 hours, my daughter was finally able to swing on. We just sat, and I continued to talk quietly to her and reassure her things were good. The freaky look in her eye left- but my daughter also understood that once she was on the horse, she was on her own. I could not hold her or keep her from blowing, and that she was prepared to 'ride it out'. It all worked out well with much sweat and slow work on all our parts. She turned out to be a pretty good horse!

I wonder if when the horse fell, the horse may have another problem? Back out of place that hurts or pinches no matter what saddle is there and the weight of the rider makes it worse?

How old is the horse and how well broke was it before your friend got it?

Latest posts

Back