Rhino?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
If this is true and I had a mare abort at about 5 months along can I rule out rhino? My vet has me freaking out about contamination and my other pregnant mares. She aborted in her stall so contamination is contained but vet tells me I need to keep her away from the other mares and out of the pasture for at least a week.

The mare is doing great...just like nothing happened. Thank goodness for that. But she is not going to be happy about not going out with her friends tomorrow!

I don't do the rhino shots and I bet this mare has never been vaccinated. I got her out of TX at the end of July and I bet she simply just ran in the field 24/7. She didn't even know what grain was so I doubt they vaccinated. Even though I was told she was well handled and utd. I hear so much about the rhino shots that I just feel I don't want to start doing them but jeese it really stinks to lose a foal.

Its so late in the year I am obviously not going to breed her now till spring. Fetus looked normal...nothing obvious...placenta even looked good. She is a maiden mare and under 28". Would love to here from others who have had a mare abort to then go on and have no further problems.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

To be honest, without a necropsy, there's no way to be sure if it was Rhino or not........and even then, the tests often come back "inconclusive". Frankly, if the mare DID have Rhino and was with any other pregant mares prior to her aborting, your other mares would probably have it by now.

And yes, over the years, we've had mares who have aborted at different times during pregnancy and went on to have normal healthy foals.

MA

Well see my vet told me that the other mares could only get it from the vaginal discharge or from the amniotic fluid. With her aborting in her stall and if I keep her out of the pasture and away from the others there won't be any way the other mares could get infected.

I had considered getting the fetus tested but was also told most times results are inconclusive so I won't send it out.

Its great to hear that you had mares go on to carry to term.

I have only had this happen one other time and it was late term but the cord was wrapped around the foals waist so the cause of death was obvious. This mare went on to foal a healthy foal the following year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, rhino causes only late term abortions, usually 8 to 11 months. I think once in awhile one occurs earlier, but that's rare. An abortion at 5 months I would feel safe in assuming is not rhino-related. Even if the mare is infected earlier in the pregnancy, the fetus is not aborted until late term.

And yes, if an abortion is due to rhino it is the fetus & placenta that is infectious--by the time she aborts the mare herself is no longer infectious to other horses. The virus is shed with the placenta and from there the mare is not contagious. So, even if yours was a rare early term rhino abortion, your other mares would most probably have already been exposed at the same time as the mare that aborted.

Is your vet talking about Rhino or Lepto? Lepto causes abortion also, is passed by vaginal discharge and fluids and can contaminate water supplies, often passed by deer.

First thing SuzE - I am sorry for your loss...this is not the fun part of breeding.

My mare slipped this past Sunday night at somewhere between 210-217 days... this is my first year breeding my own horses and my first slip. I was the same way had the vet out had him look over everyone, concerns about the mare, possible Rhino but my vet is not that concerned from what he's seening.

My mare is acting as if nothing happened, I think I am in mourning more then my horse, aside from being ever so slightly stiff in the rear walking, Monday when the vet was out her uterus was already closing down, she has no discharge - nothing. I keep watching her like a hawk, checking her multi times a day to make sure she's got zero discharge.

I looked at the foal and could see no ovious reasons for her aborting, neither could my vet.

I too am concerned about vaccinating my 2 other mares but again the vet didn't think it was Rhino... and I am at a loss for vacinating for Rhino in the future as theres so much controversy of if the shot itself can cause them to slip.

Good luck - as I too will be waiting til spring to try again with this mare.

Had a mare lose her foal last year at about 7 months- same thing- have no idea why as she had previous foals with no issue. It is always heartbreaking to lose one from any reason.

Is your vet talking about Rhino or Lepto? Lepto causes abortion also, is passed by vaginal discharge and fluids and can contaminate water supplies, often passed by deer.

I know we have to vaccinate EVERYTHING for lepto here, goats, dogs, horses, cats, anything and everything.. It is very bad around here -- before we found out we had about 5 goats miscarry and couldnt figure it out and had a couple stillborn/aborted foals when the mares had no issues and acted fine. But now that we vaccinate (it has been about 5 years now) for lepto we havent had any issues. It is a very nasty thing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your input...

I am thinking it is not rhino...I have never heard of Lepto...I will have to look into this!

I am going to put it off as one of those things and worry about the rest of my mares all winter!

Thanks for all your input...

I am thinking it is not rhino...I have never heard of Lepto...I will have to look into this!

I am going to put it off as one of those things and worry about the rest of my mares all winter!

Wanted to tell you that it is VERY cheap to vaccinate for lepto -- I think I pay $6 for a 50 dose vial of lept vaccine. It is a very good one to do for the money in my opinion. I know we will never be without it again. We give it every 6 months
default_smile.png

Do you vaccinate everyone for lepto or just pregnant mares? It's never come up here to my knowledge.

Spontaneous abortions do happen sometimes and we never know the reason, doesn't make it any less disappointing though.

I do give the rhino shots - every vet I've ever discussed it with feels strongly that they are worth it. To date, I've never had a problem with it aside from possibly a sore neck.

Jan

We vaccinate everything for it -- on the foals you dont have to do it until they are breeding age but we start them on it at age one anyways but we do all the mares and stallions-- we were even told by our vet that we could do our geldings just in case but since they are not breeding it isnt really necessary.

Latest posts

Back