RH factor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
So I am waiting for my doctor to get back to me, but the longer I wait the more I worry/wonder (yea dumb I know). IF the blood types are O- and AB+ with the O- not haveing any antibodies then that means shots right?

Ashley, You may want to google this question.....Another term for humans is "Blue Baby". Do a search for RH factor AND Blue Baby. Just to reassure you, if the doctor knows there's the possibility, they will have everything prepared at the birth to take care of things.

I am the research queen these days. I did look it up and do beleive the shots are in order.Ok heard back. It does increase the risk but they give the shot to everybody at 28 weeks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you breathing easier now? <thumbs up!>

I figured I would have to have it, both my mom and sister are RH- and both had it figured it be my luck too.

Of having antibodies that will attack future babies

I am RH negative and have had three children with an RH positibe husband. Each time I had a shot of rhogam. No problem with my children (other than the fact that sooner or later they all turned into teenagers!!)

I am RH negative and have had three children with an RH positibe husband. Each time I had a shot of rhogam. No problem with my children (other than the fact that sooner or later they all turned into teenagers!!)
Same here, but mine have survived to make us in-laws and grandparents.

I discussed the RH experience with another mom a few years ago. We are the same age but she didnt' get married until 30, so her birth experiences were different than mine. I seem to remember that all 5 of her children had transfusions at birth. She explained why at the time, but I can't remember now. All 5 are lovely and healthy. (I asked her what she was doing at age 18, when I was having my first child and keeping house. I figured she would say she was partying at college. Not! She was in traction from a riding accident!)

So, if it is certain that -mom and +dad causes the potential problem, why would her babies have needed transfusions? Why didn't she get the shot? When I had my babies, it was back in the dark ages of child birth. Young moms were not advised nor consulted. Was I taking a risk with the shot and no one told me?
default_wacko.png

Same here, but mine have survived to make us in-laws and grandparents.

I discussed the RH experience with another mom a few years ago. We are the same age but she didnt' get married until 30, so her birth experiences were different than mine. I seem to remember that all 5 of her children had transfusions at birth. She explained why at the time, but I can't remember now. All 5 are lovely and healthy. (I asked her what she was doing at age 18, when I was having my first child and keeping house. I figured she would say she was partying at college. Not! She was in traction from a riding accident!)

So, if it is certain that -mom and +dad causes the potential problem, why would her babies have needed transfusions? Why didn't she get the shot? When I had my babies, it was back in the dark ages of child birth. Young moms were not advised nor consulted. Was I taking a risk with the shot and no one told me?
default_wacko.png

I am not sure how old you are but mom also had the shots with her first child. She is in her middle 50's.

I have never heard of the blood transfer unless there is something else that was going on. As it stands now, from what I am told (might just be this hospital) all moms get the shot at 28 weeks. If mom is - and the baby comes out + then another shot is needed after birth. At least where the shot goes there is plenty of cushion
default_smile.png

I hate shots but actually am glad that is where they give it. All other shots I tend to get almost right on the bone because I have to many tats to work around I guess, and they prefer not to go through them if they don’t have to.

The transfers for all children doesn't make sense for the Rh factor problems as it's the first baby that would cause the next babies to have problems. At least I believe that's what I learned in my class last year. No risk with the first baby, but the next ones yes. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

I know the shots would need to be done after each kid if the blood types are issues. They have to do it that way so the mom doesnt build antibodies that will attack each future kid.

Yes, I know the first child isn't an issue. I implied that all 5 of her children got the transfusion, but I meant to just stress that she had 5 children and most had transfusions. I am sure it was the RH thing. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. My son who is - married a + (he was the second child). The other son, who is +, has no children.

I am almost 58 and my older son is 39 this year. He was born while we were military, and I actually had a much better experience there than I did with the next one, born in a civilian hospital of my choice. Neither told me anything; ignorance and inexperience don't know what questions to ask! No internet then. My mother was no help, either. She had 7 babies but couldn't be bothered to advise her 4 daughters about the mysteries. If it hadn't been for Tupperware parties with young moms I wouldn't have had even a faint clue.
default_biggrin.png

I do remember that disease carried in cat litter was becoming known then and I was worried sick about it. In those days you weren't "for sure" until about 3 months along; I'd shoveled a lot of cat litter by then! There is always something to worry about when one is carrying a child.

The doctor with my second one told me "most women could have their babies in an intersection and don't even need doctors". Wow!!! I wonder how he would have explained that to a policeman if I had help up traffic in an intersecton to prove it. Long story why I didn't find a different doctor...

Anyway, Ashley, hope all goes well for you.

Back