Rescuing Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koko

Reaction score
I've been itching to rescue a horse, preferably a mini or small Shetland for now, for ages and ages and ages. I think i'm obsessed. I've been thinking about getting one straight from the feedlot or auction, as they seem to be the ones most in trouble. What i'm wondering about is whether or not there's any possibility of getting a half-decent first horse. I don't mind dealing with the horses with a few mental issues, and I think I could deal with a small physical problem if I have to. I don't need anything registered or whatnot, just a mini I can teach my little cousins to handle eventually and maybe do a little driving or something with. I haven't really done much in the way of day to day stuff, but I know a fair deal of quirks and everything. I read horse encyclopedias for fun, so I know what to do to some degree, I just don't have practice. If it does seem somewhat alright i'm going to try to work at a barn that has some minis this summer, so I will get some expirience. Have you guys got any stories or suggestions or thoughts or anything?
default_unsure.png
:

No matter what age you are if you've never actually had - make that taken care of horses before, I would not recommed getting a "rescue" or auction horse as a first horse for anyone. There is so much to learn and so many adjustments to make in your life when adding a horse that you don't really need the problems and stress of getting a horse that comes with it's own set of problems. The worse part is that there might be problems that you can't see or detect when you first get them home. Rescues and aucton horses can have a lot of health problems and if they've never been handled or have been handled badly, you'll have a hard time accessing and fixing those health problems.

I'd suggest you look for someone that's willling to sell you a "backyard" pet perhaps an older gelding. Learn from one that's been taken care of properly. Learn about the feed and avoiding colic and the time commitment and just taking care in general. Then if you still want to "rescue" some, you'll be better prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

well i commend you for wanting to help a mini in need, that is great.

i think for a first horse, you may want to get a more mentally sound one, possibly a gelding (everyone on here says that, and i'd agree). that's typically a good place to start...a nice calm trained gelding.

but Ghost and I are living proof it doesn't have to be that way.

My first mini was a scared-to-death abused pregnant mare!! now she's my BEST friend, and a great little driving horse. i'm actually typing this fast before running out to harness her up.
default_wub.png
:

she looked pretty bad when she was rescued, by DunPainted, on this forum (who rescued her from a crazy old man who tormented her beyond believe) -- underfed, underweight, scared of people...just in pretty bad shape. DunPainted helped her a great deal by taking her in and feeding her up. i'm verrrry proud to say that buying/owning her has been the most wonderful experience, watching her blossom into a great little horse. She's now plenty spoiled, a tad chubby, and loves people. Once i save enough, i'm even getting her a small saddle incase the time ever comes where she could be ridden by a small child. i'd say that falls under "half-decent"!!!!!

definately work with minis as much as you can, and learn all of their special needs, etc. dieting and care varies from the biggies.

with some horses from auction, you may need more experience in handling horses to even get close to them. others randomly wound up on the meat truck, and just want a good home.

either way, i think a rescue would be great for you and the horse. just be prepared to handle whatever comes your way, physically and mentally. some of them could be in pretty bad shape, so just dont get in over your head, expecially since its your first one. maybe dont go with one straight from auction, so its not too messed up. maybe you could buy (like i did) from someone who rescued the horse, and can give you a health garantee.

good luck!!! keep us updated!! :saludando:

I'd suggest getting a rescue that has been in foster care for a bit, so that experienced horse people have had a chance to assess the horse's personality and any physical needs.

Look at it this way, if you adopt from a foster/rescue, that opens their home up for them to take in another rescue that is in serious need.

Thanks loads.
default_smile.png
Ghost definately sounds 'half-decent!' I'm definately going to bug Mom about talking to Dani before anything else. Heh, I can definately deal with mental problems, some of my favorite horses have a fair number of them, hah. Nine months at a barn full of donated horses will do that to you.

I know its a personality thing But Im way better equipt to take care of physical needs than I ever will be for mental horses. altho ours were not rescues, both came from diffocult homes. our first was an auction horse that a friend bought with a horse that she really wanted. she had been a pasture pal for a big horse. she had also never been handled. My wife is the tamer.about a year latter shes pretty tame for us , but still shy around strangers. the other was in with three big horses and drove them off there grain and feed to the point that she was about a 150lbs over weight. shes now getting near her ideal weight. both came to us at no cost because we had the time and space to care for them properly. once you get some hands on time with horses , let the ferriers, feed guys and vets know you are looking for a mini. They deal with horsepeople everyday. especialy small ponys get pased around alot, as kids grow up they quickly out grow them. good luck.

I also would like to commend you for wanting to help minis in need, that is wonderful!!

I agree that getting an already-rescued horse from a foster home would be a great way to start out, that way you would KNOW what problems it had, and the worst of them would already be dealt with.

If you do end up going to an auction and getting a horse straight from there, though, please take along a very experienced horse person so that you have help in choosing the "right" horse to rescue. You just don't want to get in over your head, especially for your first time. (here I am expecting that your first won't be your last!)
default_smile.png
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back