REMEMBERING A HORSE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

ladybug_and_payton

A little over a month ago. My beautiful Ladybug passed away due to a complecations with a miscarraige. She was fine around 7 when I feed her and by 9 when my husband got up she was gone.

My husband took it very hard. He never has been a big animal person but puts up with them all because of me. But Ladybug was a very special horse to him. I have never seen him cry but he cryed for days over Ladybug. A couple weeks later we decided to get another little girl. To keep are other mini company. He refused to even let me put Ladybugs halter on her for just a min while i was adjusting her's when she was tied out.

So for my husband I want to find a way to do something special for him. I was wondering how yall have remembered your horses after they passed away. I was thinking a painting but I can't find no one who will do a painting around my area for a resonable price. Any sugestions would be greatley helpful. Thanks

377650_2720285243671_1153247705_3233263_689289774_n.jpg

I would try taking all the digital pictures that you had and get someone to do a collage with them. There are lots of graphic places not that could do that.

A nice picture in a 'shadow box' frame is what I did. I added some of her mane and tail hair tied with a ribbon, her halter, and a few other things that were hers. I also added a short 'reflection' of her as my heart-horse and her birth and death date. I'm able to smile now when I see it and remember all the good times, instead of being sad that she's gone.

The shadow box frame can be purchased at hobby stores.

Best wishes for you and your husband as you mourn and remember your special Ladybug.

A friend had this made for me after Max died: I also saved tail hair for a bracelet and before I got it made Target died. So I plan to use both the white hair from Max and the black hair from Target in one bracelet. There are also photo tributes to both on our website. So sorry about your tragic loss.

P1030075.JPG

P1030077.JPG

A couple of years ago, we lost my favorite horse to ananeurism. RFP Time Is Money, (barn name, Monty), was a ASPC/AMHR stallion. We had showed him when he we younger and was planning on bringing him back his 9 year old year. While long lineing him, I had asked him to change direction. Half way through doing what I asked, Monty just fell and died. We took him to the University of Illinois to have the autopsy performed to see what happened. The results were an aneurism. It took me 3 weeks to go to the barn & considered selling all horses & closing the training barn. I had my son & wife Brenda feeding and working the horses. When I finally went to the barn, I had a hard time looking at Monty's stall. I left Monty's halter on his stall. What really turned me around was having a couple horses in the barn from clients. If it wasn't for RFP The Time Has Come, I would have quit everything. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think it would take another horse that your husband will connect with to help him come around. I don't think neither of you will ever forget your little mare that you lost, but it should help move on. I have never forgotten Monty & never will. I look at his picture every day and I always think about him. I'm lucky enough to have a daughter of his that I will start breeding this year. I also have a few straws of semen because I had him tested for frozen & cooled before he passed and will be very selective when I decide to use them.

Monty_002.jpg
This photo was taken shortly before Monty passed. This was straight out of the pasture. He hadn't been worked yet as I was planning on doing before & after pictures with him.

Here is a lady that does fabulous work(paintings, sketches, jewelry and wide variety of items and is very reasonable: http://www.whitneysoriginals.com/aboutme.htm She made a necklace of my APHA mare and I have it hanging from my rearview mirror.
default_biggrin.png

Here is the email to a lady that makes bracelets, necklaces and angel charms from horse hair. I had her make a horse hair bracelet from all of my current living horses. Very reasonable. [email protected] her name is Sonya. I know she is working on getting a website up. When I get more info I will add it.
default_biggrin.png
Here is her website:http://timelesstails.webs.com/apps/photos/

she did say it needs some updating but feel free to contact her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an hoof trimmings saved? It seems like a weird thing in a way to keep but I actually have some of my horses. My Mom even has one of her heart-horse that passed last year. There's a company that will turn them into gemstones for you then into bracelets, rings, pendants, money clips, etc. They're reasonably priced when you considered its custom jewelry made for you.

http://equinite.com/

I had Carol at Mini Treasured Memories make a horsehair pendant for me when I lost my heart horse, she does amazing work. She also does keychains and hatbands and other items that would be more appropriate for a guy than a pendant. http://www.minitreasuredmemories.com/

You can see the pieces she made for me on this page: http://www.minitreasuredmemories.com/Horsehair-Memories3.html My geldings name was Cheddar (palomino), and his picture is about 3/4 down the page, along wiht pictures of the pendant (heart-shaped) and tassle I had made.

LB forum member Kim of the Crabby Chicken Ranch does fabulous portraits. She has memorialized several of Amy Lacy's late horses and many, many others. If you do a search on the Back Porch you will see a number of her paintings.

LB forum member Kim Schult of the Crabby Chicken Ranch does fabulous animal portraits. She has memorialized several of Amy Lacy's late horses and many, many others. If you do a search on the Back Porch you will see a number of her paintings.

Very sorry for your loss, its so hard to loose the special ones - I am hoping that some of the ideas presented here give you a way to memorialize and keep 'Ladybug' with you always.

Thanks for sharing!

I am sorry for your loss and understand what you are both feeling. We too lost a mare in 2010...she was our first loss of an adult Miniature in 18 years of breeding. I was devastated, as I loved that little more than anything. I created a powerpoint presentation in her memory. You can view it on our website Kinney Miniatures, go to the mare page and look for Lilliput Acres Perfectly Gold, there is a link there called "In Memory" to view the presentation on YouTube.

Hope this helps.

Steph

We also lost a mare recently, and in the last 3 years, our beloved ancient donkey and two old white-tail does. We are fortunate to be able to bury our animals, and what we have done to date is to sprinkle their graves with wildflower and some old seeds we found in the barn, that knowing my husband's penchant for hanging on to everything, could be his great grandmas original seed stock!

Anyway, this year in the spring we will be planting trees on each grave and we are almost enjoying figuring out which tree to select for each animal. Who gets the red maple, or the flowering crab or the apple tree? I wish there was a tree with black and white flowers for my black pinto Stormy, but haven't found anything like that yet, LOL.

I found that everytime I looked at the flowers, I fondly thought of each animal. Now they will become part of a tree and provide shade and life to other creatures. Jenny, Charlene, Delilah (Big D) and Stormy will always be with us.

Back